Struggling with Large Mouth Bass

D

Deleted member 88418

I wonder why the streams in the ozark don't have weeds? Hmmm
The 4-7wt is where I like to live but I'm thinking of wrapping a single hand 8-10 for pad fishing.........I love being in the submerged stump fields and lily pads and I love to catch panfish and Pickerel.
Started tying my own flies. I'm not sure I agree with the bigger is better theory that some have exposed as I think getting it to the fish is the most important as I see it. I'm learning not to argue though as I always benefit by listening.

trev

Reaction score
@Panfish
Not much dirt probably. This is typical, the tail and the line are in the water. Redspot Chub, kinda a local species.
My typical "big" stuff is 2-4". I'll leave the birds and snakes to guys that cast better than I.
chub.jpg

D

Deleted member 88418

I enjoy catching large chub and Fallfish. Redspot, nice. Looks like a 1494 Medalist? Thats what I'm using. For gills 1492, open water 1494, weeds 1495.I prefer the little guy. 2-4" is where I'd like to remain and a 7wt can usually toss that.

trev

Reaction score
That's a 1495 & Denco 7 1/2' 7wt., the mop fly is one I found on a trout stream and that is the only fish I've ever caught on a mop.

D

Deleted member 88418

Nice gear. I'm fishing an old re-wrapped Wright McGill 6wt that feels like a fly-weight.
We've had a allot of Mopaholics in our local streams. I don't get it myself although late summer when it is still hot the green mop seems to work really well for a time for Gills.

philly

Reaction score
My bass flies range from 2 to 7 inches long. I prefer fishing for them with top water, so a majority of mine are made out of foam or have some foam as part of the materials. Some go "Glug... glug...glug", others pop or create commotion, others just slide with long legs and tails to create the illusion of life which the bass, hopefully, interpret as food. I do have some poppers that are 4 to 5 inches long including the tail. The rest of my larger flies are streamers made of feathers/bucktail, spinner bait skirts or large mop pieces or mop chenille and often are 5 to 7 inches long. The sliders I'll fish off an intermediate or sinking line, at times. The majority of my flies can be fished with my 6 wgt, which is my rod of choice for bass of either species. I have to use my 8 wgt for some of the larger foam flies. In either case, I use a fluorocarbon tippet of 20# or 25# material.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I prefer fishing for them with top water,
Philly, I have no idea how many discussions that you & I have been in, about fly fishing for bass, but it has been many. A lot of the same information is passed along, and we all have our own approach, and flies, any of which can work great. I'm sure we both agree that diversity is a good thing with fishing. IMO, many folks miss that point about chasing bass, when they ask questions about flies or how to go about targeting bass with fly tackle. There's more than one way to catch these fish, and often enough.

It's highly probable that most of us prefer to use topwater flies, as that's a fun and exciting way to fish. However, It's not always the best or practical choice, and being capable of adapting is also a mindset. There's not anything wrong for anyone to only fish topwater flies, if that's the choice they make. But, that applies to using subsurface flies too. Being capable of using either is never a bad thing.

I now follow several professional bass anglers, and they're folks who may have specific techniques that they use most, and are successful with a lot of the time, but they're also capable of adapting to the conditions and situation. None of them catch the fish they want, or even any fish at times. That happens to the best and most experienced anglers, just as it does with all of us. I pay more attention now to techniques than I used to, and not so much to specific lures or flies.

The lake I live near, gets a lot of tournaments, and I find it interesting the variety of lures and techniques that those folks mention that they're having success with. For me, it's easy to do something similar with conventional tackle & lures, but the challenge is doing similar with fly gear & flies.

Of course they will talk about specific lures, just as folks do with specific flies, and that's all part of the marketing for these products. I don't think I've ever used a fly for bass that I had doubts about whether I could catch any of them on it or not. None are a sure thing either. I've also never felt I had to only use anything specific, which is why my approach has been in a generic manner as far as flies. The fly is only one part of the equation, as we'll still have to get them where the bass are going to see them and hopefully react in a positive manner.

Those pro's are good to learn such things from as techniques. I know that some fly fishers don't appreciate or have interest in tournament fishing, or using other tackle for that matter, but a lot of innovation in the sport has been the result of how those folks pursue the sport. Some things are adaptable to fly fishing, while others not too much, and my point is to be successful more often, you should be adaptable. Of course thinking that way and applying it aren't always the same either.

D

Deleted member 88418

That's a 1495 & Denco 7 1/2' 7wt., the mop fly is one I found on a trout stream and that is the only fish I've ever caught on a mop.
Hey Trev, Since Bulldog1935 got me turned onto medalist I've bought and cleaned quite a few. But when it comes to rods I like the old hollow fiberglass like your Denco. I have the green hornet and another that isn't marked well enough to make out what it is. Both are 7'6" and feel light and responsive but they don't have much pwr for big, heavy flies Like Philly is talking about. Some day I'll add another and heavier rod as I have allot of reels to put to work.

D

Deleted member 88418

Not really positive as it was on the reel. It casts well from the lightest rod. I has been working so I've not made any changes. I'm planning on buying Ambush soon and am saving up.

desmobob

Reaction score
Topwater for bass is a load of fun but for just plain catching bass, I'd pick a big rubber legs wooly bugger, a long rabbit strip zonker, or a conehead muddler every time.

mikew1959

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the fast replies and advice. This weekend I may just exclusively fly fish and switch over to clousers, woolly buggers, crayfish and bass crawlers. When fishing subsurface are you using an intermediate line? There are times I will bring 2 rods, one with a floating line and the other with an intermediate. Currently the fish seem to be holding in the channels and drop offs at around 10' so I was thinking of the intermediate as my go to line. I've heard some people fish top water with an intermediate line as well.

mikew1959

Reaction score
I could write a few paragraphs about this but I’m too lazy

Sounds like you’re fishing a high-pressured lake or the bass have too much to eat and aren’t going to hit anything but a live bluegill on a hook.

80 to 90% of us fish way too fast.

Try focusing on catching bluegill and Crappie with Woolley buggers and small streamers and fish them slow...like a hand twist retrive

Out the top 10 biggest bass I’ve caught in my life(12+lbs)
At least four of them were caught trying to catch bluegill

Cheyneskeezer

Reaction score
Just caught my first bass on the fly at my local super pressured city park. Also my first fish on the fly after a year of fly fishing..... happy to say the least needed that to lite the fire. Any one using flour carbon tippet tied into your leader for these picky park bass? I’ve been using rio big nasty leaders and the conventional forums for my local lake has a lot of flourcarbon suggestions.

fr8dog

Reaction score
Like bigjim I also pay attention to the pro bass guys. The BASS Elite on Lake Fork was extremely interesting this past weekend. The top 10 on Sunday were all over the place on baits and areas. The winner had 112# total and 40+ on Sunday. He was throwing topwaters, glide baits, and swim baits on big gear. Others were sight fishing beds. (C&R weighed at the boat) One thing I noticed was the size of the baits they were chucking. Big chunks of wood and plastic.

How does this apply to the fly guy? Be flexible and think outside the flybox. I watch where they are fishing and what the weather is doing. After a bit you can see why they’re on secondary points rather than shallow weeds. That’s why I carry several rods rigged differently. Flexibility.

Size matters. I toss bigger wind resistant stuff to try and eliminate the dinks. I also put them into places with an 8 or 9 that would be silly for a 5. No, I’m not flipping with a fly pole. I want the bite and I want that fish up and out of the sticks right now. Short heavy mono leaders rule, they ain’t line shy. I’ve caught an 8# bass on a 1/16oz crappie jig and 4# mono. I don’t try to do that. It’s rare that I whip out the 10 around here but there are some places that I want it handy.

Bass will nail topwaters in the middle of the day in the right conditions. A little wind crossing a shallow weedy/rocky point? Yep! Even in summer. Not sure why it doesn’t work on Okie basses but in Tejas and NY they were all over it. Gotta get loud and make some noise. Almost all of my fishing is done with sinking flies. I love a surface blast but it doesn’t seem to work well where I go.