Stuff I'm Catching on Tenkara in 2021

Acheron

Reaction score
Looks great!

What are pics 6-8, a chub?

I wondered if you are Dan, but don't think your hands are big enough to be Dan Marino ;) :D :D

danmarino

Reaction score
Looks great!

What are pics 6-8, a chub?

I wondered if you are Dan, but don't think your hands are big enough to be Dan Marino ;) :D :D
haha. All of those fish have been caught on the same fly. Nope, not the real Dan Marino, just a long-time Miami Dolphins fan.

Those chub fish are called "fallfish" and are the dominant species of fish in lots of the creeks and small rivers in Central Maryland. Fallfish are basically big minnows. I've caught them in the 12-13 inch range, but I think they even get larger.

redietz

Reaction score
Those chub fish are called "fallfish" and are the dominant species of fish in lots of the creeks and small rivers in Central Maryland. Fallfish are basically big minnows. I've caught them in the 12-13 inch range, but I think they even get larger.
They definitely get bigger. My PB was 18 inches. I've seen photos of them over 20 inches.

Since you mentioned central Maryland, I try to make time every year to fish specifically for them with a tenkara rod in the Gunpowder Falls below the special regs section at least once or twice. (I'm also a big fan of Great Feather's chub one fly contest.)

ddb

Reaction score
Missed another opportunity on April Fool's Day to do a post on "Tarpon on Tenkara".

ddb

Reaction score
Now, nothing will surprise me anymore!

can't imagine having tussled with sharks and tarpon on Tenkara and dismissing it in a sentence.

danmarino

Reaction score
For 2021 I'm trying to see how many different fish species I can catch on the Tenkara rod. I'll be using 3 flies. The one pictured above, a foam spider, and a small foam cylinder popper. We will see how it goes.

ddb

Reaction score
A video about Tenkara Tarponaction -- if only the canal Tarpon variety.

Go to about the 3.20 minute point for the reel (less) action.