Substitute for fox squirrel belly fur

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
I purchased a fox squirrel skin so I could tie some red fox squirrel nymphs. I trimmed then blended the belly fur and tied some of the flies.

I have an orange tabby cat, When I brush the cat, the fur and underfur is a pretty close match to the fox squirrel fur both in texture and color. Is there any reason I should not use the cat fur? I can get a lot cat fur whereas the squirrel skin has a limited amount.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
No reason you can't. I wouldn't be telling too many folks that are not a fly tyer or fly angler what you're using, as some folks get strange notions about such things, but since you have it, doesn't harm the family pet, then go ahead and use it!

Sometimes substitutions turn out to be excellent choices.

I get several Gray Squirrel hides each year, so have plenty, and the two dogs we have, their hair isn't well suited for my tying, too course. I dye some materials, so that works well for me. I don't think there are many Fox or Red Squirrels in my immediate area anyway.

bbbruce77

Reaction score
I have used dog and cat fur for years and still have a large bag fur from my old golden retriever that I brushed out after giving her a bath. It is wonderful soft hair. The under fur brushed out from my cat is a dark charcoal grey that I have used to make a dark parachute adams that has been a stand out pattern in the summer months on a couple of local rivers. So the answer to your question is YES, use it to your hearts content.