Suggestions for a Reel for a 5wt CGR

swfl daz

Reaction score
Looking for a reel to go on a 5wt CGR. Would prefer something with classic Medalist or Battenkill look but I'm open to others. Requirements are that it needs to be a little under 5oz (empty) and under $75. My 1595RC Medalist is too heavy, and my BBS III is too light. I have a Martin 65 (4.7oz.) that balances it perfectly but I think I want to go with an exposed rim, or at least some drag option if I can't palm it.

Suggestions?

* EDIT - I put the Martin on a scale and its 4.6oz, not 5 as published so I'd like something a little under 5oz rather than over.

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
According to notes I have saved, old reels empty;
USA Medalist 1494 weighs ~5.5 oz., AK- 5.4, CJ- 5.1
Martin 67A - 5.1 oz, Martin MG7 - 5.0 oz, Martin 66 - 5.1
Pflueger Gem Gem 2094- 5.1
SHAKESPEARE Purist 7594- 4.9
SHAKESPEARE Purist 7595- 5.3
Orvis Madison 6/7 - 5.1

None of these have exposed rims, they are kinda classic style fly reels.

jayr

Reaction score
If you can find one as they are not terribly common, the Pflueger 1492 1/2 might work. It is 4.9 ounces empty. The 1492 weighs 4.2 ounces, but getting a 5 weight line on it might be iffy. If you can, there will be no backing on it which might not matter.

patrick62

Reaction score
Occasionally the CGR reels show up on wBay. It's a super basic click reel. I don't know what it weighs but I use them on the CGR 5/6 (and others) all the time

trev

Reaction score
1492 should hold a DT4 with no backing or a WF5 with no backing or WF4 +25yds backing according a to long ago Pflueger? chart.
Still no rim exposure, I don't have a 1492 but I don't think they have the patent drag- just click pawl.
There are a lot of Medalist clones out there sold by places like KMart, some made in Japan look like they came out of Shakespeare's factory there and probably did.
Gladding-South Bend made the Finalist that looks very much like a Medalist.
Any reels that have the adjustable brake shoe and disk copied from Pflueger should have sufficient drag, but having used Medalist reels since 1976 I have yet to ever use the drag for trout or river bass.
Any click pawl reel of ~3''-3.5'' diameter would work for me, I think, I wouldn't be greatly concerned about the weight being less.
I wouldn't worry much about backing either, that's not a rod that I'd take steel-heading or stripper fishing etc. and I've never got into the backing with 3-4# sm bass. The way to "palm" a clicker is put a finger or thumb inside the spool?

jayr

Reaction score
The 1492 is a true click pawl as is the 1492 1/2. They can be set up for left hand retrieve but you cannot move the line guard as on the 1494's and higher. The clicks are also a bit backwards when going to left hand.

The 1492 1/2 is the same OD as the 1492, but it is about an 1/8" thicker. It can hold a bit more line than the 1492. I spooled a 5 weight DT line on a 1492 and it held maybe 3 feet of backing. Of course a DT line will take up more space than the same weight WF line.

swfl daz

Reaction score
Thanks guys. As usual, I'm probably overthinking this. The rod doesn't see much use, just changed things around on a few of my other rods and figured I'd hunt for something to balance this one better. It had a 1595RC Medalist on it but I moved that to my 9' 5wt (where it balances beautifully). Maybe I'll stick the old Martin on it and start looking for something really light (3oz) to stick on my little 3wt... ;)

Southerncaster

Reaction score
I have an old 1492 I still use (for 3wt lines w/ backing). The weight as listed as 4oz on the spec sheet. Spool width listed as 13/16''. The overall reel diameter is 2 7/8'', but the actual spool diameter measures at 2 9/16''. It's a cage type reel, so there's no palming rim. Dual click & pawl system with the pawls themselves held in place by removable pins. The pawls are adjustable for right or left hand retrieve.
Not sure about heavier weight lines fitting it. My reel had a line guard for right hand retrieve only, held in by screws, but I removed it when I converted the reel (and myself) to left hand retrieve.

Last edited:

swfl daz

Reaction score
Lubed and spooled up the old Martin 65 this morning and put it on the CGR. Yeah, it balances perfectly. So, no more looking for a reel for that rod. Now I need something small and light for my 7' 3wt. Thinking a Battenkill 1 might just punch that ticket.