Summer River Shoes

Shoelaceface

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good recommendations for some close toe shoes to wear wade fishing in the summer? I know Simms makes a wading sandal but I really don’t like the way it looks. I see Chaco and Merrell make some water type shoes but unsure how they hold up actually wading in a river.

brownbass

Reaction score
I would recommend a lightweight pair of wading boots. They are made for that purpose and the new lightweight models seem like they would be ideal.

teledan

Reaction score
I have been eying these:

And these:

I want to get something that will protect my feet when wet wading more than my chacos do

Txbart

Reaction score
I don’t have a lot of experience wet wading fresh water but I’m very happy with my Orvis Approach shoes. No actual ankle support but good at keeping silt, sand and gravel out of your shoe.

1594835408508.jpeg

fq13

Reaction score
The chaco s sandals with the 5.10 soles in the open t oed model and neoprene booties have served me well. Not as sticky as felt, but close. Orvis also used to make a wading boot that was basically a canvas high top sneaker with felt soles. They were cheap and not bad to walk in. I don't know if they are still around. Stuff like the Columbia drain makers are fine for mud bottoms, but I doubt they would do for rocks. There I would go chaco or felt.

hollisd

Reaction score
The Simms Flyweight shoe is game over, but you might check out Astral Designs Rassler 2.0 which is water worthy and might do for summer flyfishing.

Also Bedrock sandals just relocated to Montana from northern California. Based in Missoula, a nice alternative to Chaco.

Fwiw I have the Simms Riprap shoe which I wear with wet wading socks. The lacing is improved on the new Flyweight but otherwise it's built like a tank in the river.

Last edited:

Redrock

Reaction score
You may not like how the Simms sandals look (I don’t either) but they sure are nice for wet wading on float trips. Very comfortable.

hubby11

Reaction score
I have the Simms Flyweight Wading Boot that I use with my waders. They seem identical to the Simms Flyweight Wading Shoe but for the obvious higher ankle support that I need regardless of whether it is Winter or Summer. So I cannot justify getting a dedicated summer wet wading shoe. The Flyweight boot is plenty light and breathable that it seems to be a year round option.

proheli

Reaction score
Salomon TA 4.

I have these. I love them. Great grip, good fit for me, I was in the river today and they were perfect. These are like a serious water play shoe. As you can see there is no ankle support. If I needed that I would just wear my regular felt boots with wading socks. I dont wear waders at all in summer, I like the brisk water. I don’t wear these with socks. They dont drag in the water at all. Think rock climbing and jumping in the water.

1186A707-BD54-4C5F-B3AB-343FE0DC4C64.jpeg

Shoelaceface

Reaction score
I love the flyweights but they don’t make them in a women’s shoe. I should have specified I am looking for a women’s wet wader. I am definitely going to look into the salomons posted above!

proheli

Reaction score
There has been several times I did get little rocks in the shoes. Compared to regular shoes even light wet waders are pretty sturdy. I think Orvis and Sims both make flats waders, which are like a tough hightop basketball shoe, to protect you from the oyster beds. Wearing a pair of socks does wonders to keep little rocks out of your shoes, maybe some light wool socks.

trev

Reaction score
Socks do help if the shoe tops can be covered by the wadded/rolled sock, those deep side vents won't be covered, but if they work for you they are great. I have fished streams where sand was not a factor, but I've had lots of miserable days in low cut shoes or sandals, too.