Sunfish- post your pics

jrob

Reaction score
Rio's are on my bucket list. Need to make a trip this year. I'm in East Texas so my excuses are running out for not driving south. Hahaha

tcorfey

Reaction score
Here is something different. Just to point out not all sunfish are small, here is a picture of an Ocean (or Pacific) Sunfish. They can't swim to well (top speed is around 2mph) mostly they drift with the warm currents.

mola-mola-1-2.jpg

The ocean sunfish or common mola is one of the heaviest known bony fishes in the world. Adults typically weigh between 247 and 1,000 kg. The species is native to tropical and temperate waters around the world. It resembles a fish head with a tail, and its main body is flattened laterally. When I see them they typically lay flat on the surface of the water and if you hit one with an outboard watch out because, I had a guy I know hit one with his I/O and it tore the lower half of the outdrive right off.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
At last....a real Sunfish! I couldn't figure out what all those other pics were as this is the only Sunfish we in the tropics know.It's also responsible for many unexplained yacht sinkings all over the world.....it would be like hitting a floating island.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Here is something different. Just to point out not all sunfish are small, here is a picture of an Ocean (or Pacific) Sunfish. They can't swim to well (top speed is around 2mph) mostly they drift with the warm currents.

View attachment 21987

The ocean sunfish or common mola is one of the heaviest known bony fishes in the world. Adults typically weigh between 247 and 1,000 kg. The species is native to tropical and temperate waters around the world. It resembles a fish head with a tail, and its main body is flattened laterally. When I see them they typically lay flat on the surface of the water and if you hit one with an outboard watch out because, I had a guy I know hit one with his I/O and it tore the lower half of the outdrive right off.
Man that would be a ride on my 1wt panfish rod.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
The Gulfarium in Ft Walton Fl had a mount of one on display last time I was there. I was in middle school then, so suffice it to say a couple of years ago.

Neat fish. I've heard of rare sightings in the Gulf, but very rare.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
Private Pond...Social Distancing practiced. I didnt see anyone all day.
I caught all fish on the green gurler, the micro wooly bugger or the sinking spider. I did catch one Bass on a spinnerbait. I presented all of the abovementioned flies to this fish,but he wanted something with more movement and flash. I sat and watched this fish hanging out by a stump. He never budged until i ran that spinner bait by him. PLEASE forgive me for picking up a spinning rod,but I wasnt going to let that lurking fish get the better of me. :p:p
All told, about a dozen nice Bream and 4 Bass.

IMG-3479.jpg

IMG-3480.jpg

IMG-3481.jpg

IMG-3482.jpg

Attachments

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
Private Pond...Social Distancing practiced. I didnt see anyone all day.
I caught all fish on the green gurler, the micro wooly bugger or the sinking spider. I did catch one Bass on a spinnerbait. I presented all of the abovementioned flies to this fish,but he wanted something with more movement and flash. I sat and watched this fish hanging out by a stump. He never budged until i ran that spinner bait by him. PLEASE forgive me for picking up a spinning rod,but I wasnt going to let that lurking fish get the better of me. :p:p
All told, about a dozen nice Bream and 4 Bass.

View attachment 22098

View attachment 22099

View attachment 22100

View attachment 22101

IMG-3484.jpg

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
A pair of monsters from yesterday. Both broke the lake record so I’ve submitted an application for the larger of the two just because I’ve never done such a thing and my wife thinks it’s cool!
F7628335-AFA7-4381-840D-CA953587CA22.jpg
This one was 10”.
93A1F5E1-1543-4770-B52A-FBDE6BA062C8.jpg
And this one was 11”. Both ate the ever-popular #4 olive wooly bugger.
D641D23E-7FC9-44A5-AB03-DBA2F112852F.jpg

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
Nice 'gills.

I've tried wooly buggers in several ponds and rivers and never had much luck with them. I keep tying and fishing them though. One of these days, I'll hot the winning combo.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

proheli

Reaction score
I wish I had pictures, but two of the prettiest fish I have ever seen we’re both less than a hand in size. One was a little sunfish I caught in Elk Creek in WNC, about four inches long. He was transparent and blue and yellow. I thought to myself, look how beautiful that little guy is, why am I fishing for trout. The other was a pin fish here off the coast of tampa. I think of them as sun fish with spines. He was about 5 inches long. His colors ran from white cloud to sky blue, with that metallic shimmer everywhere. Im sure a lot of guy would just use him for bait, but he was more like living art to me.