SUP - Tips, Tricks, Do-overs

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
In my eternal quest to spend more time fishing, I think I'm going to go the SUP route. I live near some state managed fishing lakes that offer only limited bank fishing. A SUP and a cooler set-up with a single rod mount should give me something that I can throw on top the car and be fishing with minimal pre-fishing set-up. This would allow me to get out more often in the evenings after I finish my work for the day.

For those of you that use/used them, is my thinking far off? What are some things you done or would do over in your considerations and set-up? My whole goal is to keep this simple.

Thanks

mkeflyfish

Reaction score
No regrets going the SUP route. I have a Jackson Superfishal that I use on lakes and rivers. I use a cooler and a crate that I strap to the back of the board and that works perfectly for my gear. I have two RAM fishing rod holders that are also really nice to have. My board is pretty heavy, but also very stable, so that is something to keep in mind. Also on lakes a drift sock comes in handy if you don't want to fully anchor. This year I got a new paddle that can convert to a kayak paddle, so that might give me more speed.

Reaction score
I was just about to order the Rackham until I realized that Bote switched to slide-in receivers for their Tackle Rack instead of the traditional Scotty pads. I don't always want to use the Tackle Rack and really wanted to be able to screw in my Scotty mounts. But, I'd still love to hear how you like the Rackham since I could attach things to the Scotty dots placed on the board for the sand spear sheath etc.

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
I was just about to order the Rackham until I realized that Bote switched to slide-in receivers for their Tackle Rack instead of the traditional Scotty pads. I don't always want to use the Tackle Rack and really wanted to be able to screw in my Scotty mounts. But, I'd still love to hear how you like the Rackham since I could attach things to the Scotty dots placed on the board for the sand spear sheath etc.
I ended up getting overly involved in turkey hunting and now it's turned cold again. I'll update this thread when I get to start using it soon.

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
Update,

I've been able to get out on the Bugslinger several times. Love the thing. I live 20 minutes from some paddle/trolling motor only lakes and it's perfect for fishing them. I've even had it out on a large reservoir where wake could be an issue and it wasn't. It has made me an oddity for Southern Middle TN. On every trip, I've had at least 1 person troll over to me just to ask me what the heck I was doing. Fly fishing around here is strange enough. Throw in a paddleboard and they think you're a real weirdo. I love the fact that I can just throw it on top the car, drive to the lake and be fishing so easily.

20210604_163855.jpg

20210521_165546.jpg

20210604_192917.jpg

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
The lack of Scotty mounts is probably the biggest thing I don't like about it. I didn't think it would be an issue because I bought it for the simplicity of just getting on the water for a few hours in the evenings and thinking 1 flyrod would be all I'd want to carry. Well, almost immediately I wished I'd had 2 flyrods with me. A 7-weight for bass and a 3-weight for bream. One flyrod is not an issue. I just leave it laying on the deck. Two flyrods would pose a problem. I may just mount one of my Scotty mounts to the cooler.

Reaction score
Just got my Live Watersports L2Fish delivered and took it for maiden voyage. Love that thing! Way better built than the Bote’s, rails everywhere for mounting, and the pontoon design is super stable.

I’ll still be using my inflatable SUP for camping trips and have detailed my rigging setup at http://www.getoutthereandexplore.com/fishing-standup-paddleboard-sup/ (blog post) and
(video)

Miles813

Reaction score
The lack of Scotty mounts is probably the biggest thing I don't like about it. I didn't think it would be an issue because I bought it for the simplicity of just getting on the water for a few hours in the evenings and thinking 1 flyrod would be all I'd want to carry. Well, almost immediately I wished I'd had 2 flyrods with me. A 7-weight for bass and a 3-weight for bream. One flyrod is not an issue. I just leave it laying on the deck. Two flyrods would pose a problem. I may just mount one of my Scotty mounts to the cooler.
How is the stability on the bote? Any issue when leaning over to boat fish? I have heard the inflatables are more stable than the solid boards. I see you parked it on gravel, are you worried about durability with the inflatable material?

Miles813

Reaction score
Just got my Live Watersports L2Fish delivered and took it for maiden voyage. Love that thing! Way better built than the Bote’s, rails everywhere for mounting, and the pontoon design is super stable.

I’ll still be using my inflatable SUP for camping trips and have detailed my rigging setup at http://www.getoutthereandexplore.com/fishing-standup-paddleboard-sup/ (blog post) and
(video)
Is it worth the money? I feel like for slightly more I could have a Gheenoe.