SUP - Tips, Tricks, Do-overs

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
How is the stability on the bote? Any issue when leaning over to boat fish? I have heard the inflatables are more stable than the solid boards. I see you parked it on gravel, are you worried about durability with the inflatable material?
The stability has been great. My first trip, I went out with a buddy who has a kayak. I wanted to see how easy/hard it would be to climb back on the SUP if I fell in, so I put all my stuff in his kayak stood on the rails just to see if I could flip it and couldn't. I had to jump in just to get in the water. I'm not a very big person though, 6', 165#. Getting back on it wasn't an issue because there's enough carry straps I could grab one and pull myself aboard.

I'm pretty rough with my stuff and beach it nose first onto gravel or a rough concrete boat ramp all the time. There's not even scratches on the bottom, just some mud and a little goose poop.

20210804_065115.jpg

Miles813

Reaction score
The stability has been great. My first trip, I went out with a buddy who has a kayak. I wanted to see how easy/hard it would be to climb back on the SUP if I fell in, so I put all my stuff in his kayak stood on the rails just to see if I could flip it and couldn't. I had to jump in just to get in the water. I'm not a very big person though, 6', 165#. Getting back on it wasn't an issue because there's enough carry straps I could grab one and pull myself aboard.

I'm pretty rough with my stuff and beach it nose first onto gravel or a rough concrete boat ramp all the time. There's not even scratches on the bottom, just some mud and a little goose poop.

View attachment 39008
How has the fish fighting experience been? Do you use an anchor, are you getting pulled around? How hard is positioning with wind for a cast? Sorry for all the questions.

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
How has the fish fighting experience been? Do you use an anchor, are you getting pulled around? How hard is positioning with wind for a cast? Sorry for all the questions.
Glad to be of some help. I normally just let the fish drag me around. It adds to the experience. I've also learned to fight the fish so it pulls me in opposite directions from trouble. I do have both an anchor and a sandspear. When I catch a larger fish, I do drop the anchor to keep it from dragging me into the trees. If I'm fishing an area that is relatively shallow, I'll use the sandspear to anchor myself, but the lake I fish most often is an old mining pit that goes straight to about 12 feet deep. I don't have much problem with wind because the pit is located deep in a hollow and is surrounded by hills. It also makes it very hard to see an sudden approaching thunderstorm. I know that as a fact. ;)

Miles813

Reaction score
Glad to be of some help. I normally just let the fish drag me around. It adds to the experience. I've also learned to fight the fish so it pulls me in opposite directions from trouble. I do have both an anchor and a sandspear. When I catch a larger fish, I do drop the anchor to keep it from dragging me into the trees. If I'm fishing an area that is relatively shallow, I'll use the sandspear to anchor myself, but the lake I fish most often is an old mining pit that goes straight to about 12 feet deep. I don't have much problem with wind because the pit is located deep in a hollow and is surrounded by hills. It also makes it very hard to see an sudden approaching thunderstorm. I know that as a fact. ;)
Thanks, man I bet the thunderstorms show up quick, but that's nice you are sheltered from the wind. Down here in Tampa bay that is unfortunately not the case. I have really been on the fence about getting a SUP as I am still about a year away from getting a skiff and wade fishing is killing me. Seems like it would open up a lot of opportunity, I might just have to suck it up and buy one to get me a little relief until I can get a skiff.

iROCKER

Reaction score
An under- or over-inflated board won’t do you any favors,
so learning how to inflate your board (and deflate it for travel or storage) is key to proper paddling.
LEARN THE RIGHT (AND CONFIDENT) WAY TO POP UP ONTO YOUR BOARD
Popping up looks easy enough and with a bit of practice, it is.
What’s key is really going for it and keeping your eyes high while keeping your feet firmly in the right place.
REAN FULL BLOG -iROCKER .SUP TIPS AND TRICKS TO UP YOUR FITNESS.
iROCKER