Surf flies

karstopo

Reaction score
I second the Casey Smartt recommendation. One of my favorite patterns I tie and use a lot in the surf is his shrimp. I add some bells and whistles, but his shrimp is the heart of it.

His dead head minnow got me on the track of using baitfish patterns. I ended up tying some dead head minnows way back when, but like Steve Farrar blend baitfish more.

Borski sliders have been good out in the Freeport TX area surf.

The Texas surf is one of my favorite spots to fish. Drive to your spot, walk a few paces into the water, start fishing. If the conditions are right, it’s constant action. The Shrimp pattern patterned off the Casey Smartt shrimp, borski sliders in pink, cream, and tan and Steve Farrar blend baitfish in a variety of colors are the three basic patterns I go to time and again.

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
Here's a meaty morsel of a streamer, colored like a Mickey Finn. I like to throw flies into the surf. Not a difficult pattern enjoy.
YouTube

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

dylar

Reaction score
A clouser with the right specific attributes for the the circumstances will still catch pretty much anything that swims, anywhere it swims. Surf environments don't make for picky fish.

okiekev

Reaction score
I second the Casey Smartt recommendation. One of my favorite patterns I tie and use a lot in the surf is his shrimp. I add some bells and whistles, but his shrimp is the heart of it.

His dead head minnow got me on the track of using baitfish patterns. I ended up tying some dead head minnows way back when, but like Steve Farrar blend baitfish more.

Borski sliders have been good out in the Freeport TX area surf.

The Texas surf is one of my favorite spots to fish. Drive to your spot, walk a few paces into the water, start fishing. If the conditions are right, it’s constant action. The Shrimp pattern patterned off the Casey Smartt shrimp, borski sliders in pink, cream, and tan and Steve Farrar blend baitfish in a variety of colors are the three basic patterns I go to time and again.
I haven’t figured out how to just highlight pictures, but dude your first two dots of trout chomping on those flies are GREAT pictures!!! Thank you for sharing! You need to share these in the photography forum as well!

LOC

Reaction score
A clouser with the right specific attributes for the the circumstances will still catch pretty much anything that swims, anywhere it swims. Surf environments don't make for picky fish.
Not just the surf environment it's pretty much any saltwater environment. I've caught saltwater Calico bass on top water frog lures. We tend to over think this stuff when pretty much a bait fish fly pattern is going to work most of times on predator fish as long as the size and profile are similar.

As anglers we tend to pay attention to details of a fly more then the fish. Take for example the Borski slider in this thread a cool tie no doubt but that could be a sculpin profile and I'm sure a steel head would smash it.