T&T Contact 2 10'9" 3wt vs. 11'2" 3wt

Lamarsh

Reaction score
My ESN rod for trout is an Echo Shadow X 11' 3wt, and I love the length and weight. I recently bought the T&T Contact 2 in the 10'6" 6wt for steelhead and larger presentations, and I love it. Was considering upgrading my trout ESN rod to the same Contact 2 rod, but am torn between the 10'9" and 11'2", as those dimensions are evenly apart from my 11' 3wt.

Basically torn between sizing a few inches up or down from my Shadow X 11' 3wt. Wondering if anybody has either of these T&T rods, and/or whether anybody has casted both of them or otherwise has some input.

Thanks!

joelp

Reaction score
i fished the TT C2 109 #3 and the shadow x 10 #3 this past weekend. i cant see paying the TT premium (now that i already did). I much preferred the shadow x and would consider the shadow x 11 #3 as a replacement for the TT C2 109 #3. Shadow x is light and the 10'er had all the tip sensitivity i could ever want. this past weekend were only days 3,4,5 EN for me and i was on a stretch of the lower owens that gets absolutely pounded by every socal angler for months on end. i've had some really slow days there over the years due to 'smart' fish. i'm sure there are some dyed in the wool euro dudes that could explain how the TT is almost double the good to justify the price, but i was blown away by shadow x. ive never caught more fish. between the technique and the rod it seriously is cheating.

if they make a shadow x in 10'6 #3, i'd save the 350 bucks and do that.

or go with a 10' #2 if they make that for small streams. the 10' #3 had all kinds of backbone so i'm sure the #2 would easily land 20"+ fish.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
i fished the TT C2 109 #3 and the shadow x 10 #3 this past weekend. i cant see paying the TT premium (now that i already did). I much preferred the shadow x and would consider the shadow x 11 #3 as a replacement for the TT C2 109 #3. Shadow x is light and the 10'er had all the tip sensitivity i could ever want. this past weekend were only days 3,4,5 EN for me and i was on a stretch of the lower owens that gets absolutely pounded by every socal angler for months on end. i've had some really slow days there over the years due to 'smart' fish. i'm sure there are some dyed in the wool euro dudes that could explain how the TT is almost double the good to justify the price, but i was blown away by shadow x. ive never caught more fish. between the technique and the rod it seriously is cheating.

if they make a shadow x in 10'6 #3, i'd save the 350 bucks and do that.

or go with a 10' #2 if they make that for small streams. the 10' #3 had all kinds of backbone so i'm sure the #2 would easily land 20"+ fish.
Interesting to hear. I do absolutely love my Shadow X. A lot of what I hear benefits wise (as marginal as they may be) in stepping up to the Contact 2 is perhaps a bit of weight (if that matters) and certainly durability. From what I understand, the guru Joe Goodspeed did a ton of R&D on materials for that Contact 2, and a lot of what was novel about the rod was durability. At least that is what Joe has said.

I acquired a Contact I in 11'3" a few years ago used, I love it for Euro, tightline, swinging and dry fly fishing maybe the #2 is better but I'm quite happy with original.
Without a doubt the oringials are excellent rods, and still have a cult following, but I have also heard from folks who own both that the 2 is in a new league of its own. By the lack of even finding original Contacts on the used market, people still adore that rod.

lookard

Reaction score
I have the Shadow X 11ft 3wt and my buddy has the Contact2 11'2" 3wt. The guides have similar placement. We swapped rods on the farmington river to fish for the day. The Contact2 has more heft to it and its a bit heavier. The recovery is definitely crispier. My buddy caught fish on my rod and landed them. I did not hook up any on his rod, so I can't say much about handling. But I was happy when I went back to the shadow x. It feels a lot lighter.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
I have the Shadow X 11ft 3wt and my buddy has the Contact2 11'2" 3wt. The guides have similar placement. We swapped rods on the farmington river to fish for the day. The Contact2 has more heft to it and its a bit heavier. The recovery is definitely crispier. My buddy caught fish on my rod and landed them. I did not hook up any on his rod, so I can't say much about handling. But I was happy when I went back to the shadow x. It feels a lot lighter.
Interesting. I love my Shadow X 11' 3wt. I own the Contact 2 but it is the 10'6" 6wt, so I can't make an apples to apples comparison, but I do love that rod for a 6wt ESN rod.

Lamarsh the 11’2 is on my bucket list. I would love it for the mo and big man especially.
Big Man, as in the river in Michigan? If so, for steelhead/salmon, or just for trout?

okaloosa

Reaction score
the 11'2 3wt T&T is 3.2 oz whereas the Shadow X 11 ft 3 wt is 3.5 oz.....

so T&T is 9% lighter demonstrating that "lightness" or "feeling light"
has a lot to do with taper, guide type, placement and number , grip design, handle design and placement etc...

The Shadow X is as light as a shadow in the hand.....

I have not held the longer models, but the 10 ft 2 wt Shadow X does weigh 13% lighter than the T&T Contact II 10' 2wt
I went with the Contact II but I have to say you have to hold the Shadow X to appreciate how light a 10 ft rod can feel. unreal!

fishrite86

Reaction score
Interesting. I love my Shadow X 11' 3wt. I own the Contact 2 but it is the 10'6" 6wt, so I can't make an apples to apples comparison, but I do love that rod for a 6wt ESN rod.

Big Man, as in the river in Michigan? If so, for steelhead/salmon, or just for trout?

yup bug man in wellston. Trout fishing in the late spring.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
yup bug man in wellston. Trout fishing in the late spring.
Right on. Then the 3wt is a nice choice. If you were using it for steelhead I'd say it has the muscle to fight 6lb fish no prob, but not enough if you had to keep them out of the wood. On wide open spots like up by Tippy may not be a problem, but in places like the upper PM flies only, you really need the backbone to keep them out of the wood.