T&T Contact what reel???

flyfishsick

Reaction score
With what seems to be how popular the T&T Contact is in the EN community what is the go to reel?
I have the first gen Contact 10'8" 3wt and find a Hatch 4+ balance it out perfectly.

So if you fish a T&T Contact or are thinking of getting one what reel would you fish???

fishrite86

Reaction score
Hatch 4 or lamson size 5 are great for balancing these rods. I love T and Ts website which recommends the best weight of reel in oz for each rods in their series.

rob bishline

Reaction score
I like the Sage Esn reel for my T&T 1003 .
Loaded with line and at backing at 4-15/16 oz. it balances well in the cork without adding any of the supplied counter weights
but I do like being able to add a counter weight if I switch to a longer/heavier rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyfishsick

Reaction score
thinking about getting a T&T 11' 2" 3wt? that rod on T&T site says it call for a reel 139-164g / 4.9-5.8oz I'm thinking about the Ross San Miguel?

With the lates trend with reels is that they make them light so finding a fit for that rod is limited! Also that reel is very $$$

okaloosa

Reaction score
thinking about getting a T&T 11' 2" 3wt? that rod on T&T site says it call for a reel 139-164g / 4.9-5.8oz I'm thinking about the Ross San Miguel?

With the lates trend with reels is that they make them light so finding a fit for that rod is limited! Also that reel is very $$$
I have one and it is a gem.. but it will look teeny on an 11'2" rod.....

flyfishsick

Reaction score
I have one and it is a gem.. but it will look teeny on an 11'2" rod.....
you thing it will look small on that rod? it's almost as big as a Hatch 4+ ??? what reel would be a good match for the 11'2" contact???

okaloosa

Reaction score
you thing it will look small on that rod? it's almost as big as a Hatch 4+ ??? what reel would be a good match for the 11'2" contact???
You may be right. I am thinking of the original series. The new series appears much bigger/line size.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
T&T has a chart on its page for the Contact 2 (not sure about Contact 1) that recommends reel weight ranges for each of the rod models.

fishrite86

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the 2wt? I’ve heard raving reviews. Thanks for sharing your feedback on the rod balance.

hunter1

Reaction score
Check out a Colton reels. I just bought one for my saltwater 9 wt. Love it, quality, strong. He makes different size reels. All machined from bar stock. You can talk to the owner directly about your needs. He is a great guy to deal with, and is great if you need warranty work.

flyfishsick

Reaction score
Check out a Colton reels. I just bought one for my saltwater 9 wt. Love it, quality, strong. He makes different size reels. All machined from bar stock. You can talk to the owner directly about your needs. He is a great guy to deal with, and is great if you need warranty work.
looks nice but the 3 reels that he offers look to be big salt water reels and they are heavy? great price!!!

Last edited:

mysticm

Reaction score
With what seems to be how popular the T&T Contact is in the EN community what is the go to reel?
I have the first gen Contact 10'8" 3wt and find a Hatch 4+ balance it out perfectly.

So if you fish a T&T Contact or are thinking of getting one what reel would you fish???
With my 2 weight, I use the older Hardy Ultralite DD 4000...perfect balance and the combo is joy to use.

hunter1

Reaction score
I also like my Buaer reels for trout. Great reels I have never had a problem with them.

Daggerislandreds

Reaction score
My Contact II 3wt 10'9 balances perfect with an Abel Vaya 4/5 with backing and Rio ESN line. I also have a spare spool with 4wt Rio Gold on in case there is a hatch I can swap out out quick, and it balances well also. I can fish that set up from sun up to sun down and my arm never wears out.

I used to have a Orvis Mirage LT III with extra backing and it balanced well, but only with the extra backing.

Last edited:

guidegun

Reaction score
I have a Abel Vaya 5/6 on my 11'2". 20lb dacron backing, fly line, and mono rig mounted on the reel it balances great. The Vaya is a stinking cool reel.

I considered the San Miguel as well. I think it would balance great too.