T&T Lotic

monty68

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone own or used a Thomas and Thomas Lotic glass rod? What are your thoughts on the 3 or 4wt models for typical small stream and freestone river dry fly trout fishing?

Also, how's the quality of finish of the rod compared to a custom job?

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
It was about 3 years ago, but I cast the 4 wt at a show. Absolutely loved it. I've moved away from glass, but if I was looking for a 7'6"ish glass 4 wt that definitely would be my pick. It is on the faster side of glass, which I like. I believe I've read that the 3 wt is the fastest of the series, but you should confirm. But I think the 4 wt would be great for the uses you're describing.

In terms of the build quality, I don't recall specifically how the Lotic looked, but I own rods from each of the leading/major companies (Scott, Sage, G Loomis, Winston, T&T) and IMO no one builds nicer looking rods than T&T. I'd personally have no hesitation buying a factory made Lotic. If they sell blanks, I guess it would depend on who you chose to build it for you and what components were selected in terms of whether it turned out better than a factory rod.

monty68

Reaction score
That's great info, thanks! I already have an Epic 476 and a Scott GS 884 so kind of wanted to step down to a shorter 3 weight if possible.

el jefe

Reaction score
That's great info, thanks! I already have an Epic 476 and a Scott GS 884 so kind of wanted to step down to a shorter 3 weight if possible.

I have both of the rods you mentioned, and both are awesome.:) I actually use the Epic 476 as my "shorter 3-weight"; it can fish up and down from its designated line weight.

To your question, while I cannot speak for the Lotic, I had a T&T Heirloom 763, the Lotic's predecessor. The build quality was the best I have ever seen on a factory rod. The blank was a dark green, and the wraps were what T&T called Paprika, which is an accurate description. The thing about that contrast in colors is that the wraps have to be perfect, because any gaps are going to show with that combo. And they were perfect.

monty68

Reaction score
I have both of the rods you mentioned, and both are awesome.:) I actually use the Epic 476 as my "shorter 3-weight"; it can fish up and down from its designated line weight.

To your question, while I cannot speak for the Lotic, I had a T&T Heirloom 763, the Lotic's predecessor. The build quality was the best I have ever seen on a factory rod. The blank was a dark green, and the wraps were what T&T called Paprika, which is an accurate description. The thing about that contrast in colors is that the wraps have to be perfect, because any gaps are going to show with that combo. And they were perfect.
Thanks, thing is - you can never have too many nice fly rods!

WorknPlay

Reaction score
I currently fish the Lotic 3 wt in the driftless for smaller streams for brook trout. It is my first fiberglass rod and I have really enjoyed it with a single dry fly and a smaller hopper - dropper rig. I really liked how it felt when I test casted it, since the action seems to be more like a medium action (like my GS 883 and 884 rods). The finish is very nice with the color and wraps in my opinion. I would get the 4 wt in a second, but then it would get in the way of my Dart 476 (different actions but similar weight and length). I also really enjoy fishing my GS 884 for just about anything, so you buying a Lotic in a 3wt or 4wt would be a similar move that I made in my own group of rods. Good luck with your search and test cast if possible. Take Care