Tackle Storage Kayak Fly Fishing

mike126

Reaction score
I'm trying to get some ideas for tackle storage for my kayak (Jackson Bite). Most of the time I take 2 fly rods and one spinning or bait cast rod. I put my conventional tackle in a small bag that hold about 4 Plano boxes in the rear tank well. Attached to that I have my tippet spools. My fly rods rest along the length of the yak with the reels sitting in the tank well and rod tips facing forward. One rod on each side so they are relatively out of the way and accessible. My conventional rod sits in a recessed rod holder behind the seat on the rail of the yak. My fly boxes are in the fly box pockets along the inside of the side of the yak. I store used flies on a piece of EVA foam clipped to a fly box pocket bungee.

Sometimes i feel that there is a better way to store the fly rods. Any suggestions?

For tackle storage do you prefer a bag or a crate and why? Anything that you have found that works really well?

Thanks!

mtboiler

Reaction score
First, get rod holders! You are either going to lose one off the side of the boat or break one. Scotty makes great rod holders and they are not to expensive. I use a seat back holder for my fly gear. It came with my NRS Kayak but you can find them online. I also carry a softsided cooler right behind the seat. In it are spare boxes, a rain jacket, sunscreen and other things I might need. I never wear a fishing vest because I usually have a life vest on.

trev

Reaction score
Search the 'net for "kayak rigging" or "rigging a fishing kayak, there's thousands of pages and some real innovations. From trolling to using fish finders to having several fly rods rigged for fishing the Texas Gulf coast, those coastal guys go way out there with rigging and fish miles from shore.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Having fished from a kayak for almost 10 years, be careful about looking at how spin guys gear for a few reasons. First, and foremost many spin gear guys use rod holders attached to crates behind the seat. No problem with the crate but rods need to be held horizontal or at least at a 45 degree angle for fly fishing, not upright. Many rod holders are vertical and you are going to have a problem casting. The rod holders on the kayak you have are more vertical designated, but Scotty Rod Holders can fix that.
Second, many gear guys put fish finders and gps units in front of them. To me that is a big problem because I strip the fly line between my legs. I prefer nothing in front of me so I do not get the fly line tangled up with it.
Trolling motors are all good for spin guys but remember, stripping in a fly line that gets off the side of the kayak will get tangled in the prop.
The more 'gear' you put on your kayak the more chances you have to tangle up. I put my net behind me on the left side because my rod is usually in my right hand. I have two rod holders and put the rods in them when I am paddling. But when i fish, the spare rod is almost always on my left side because I cast right handed and I want it as far out of the way as possible.
My opinion is the less gear you have the better off you are. So I put everything in the soft sided cooler that I can.
I do use a drift sock, actually an Ikea shopping bag, and a anchor bag which i put a rock in. Both are attached to carabiners behind the seat.

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
I paddle a Big Rig,so I have spots for my flyrods. I normally also carry a spinning rod. I have a Wilderness crate in the well behind me. I keep the soinning rod in one of the rod holders on the left side of the boat and really dont have issues casting with the rod there. It is an untra-light, so its not a long rod. A full sized spinning rod would need to be more horizontal to accomodate for the backcast. I have a geartrack in front of me and have my fishfinder there,but it is almost mounted flat to keep line from catching on it. I carry a drag chain for light winds and a drift sock for windier days. I try to put my gear in the exact same place every time so I dont have to think about where it is and can reach for it without having to search for it.

mike126

Reaction score
Guys thanks for the feedback....

For my fly rods I usually take two. One with floating line and one with an intermediate sinking line. I have a YakAttack rod holder which i'm not a big fan of because it seems to get in the way with casting. Unfortunately, the Jackson Bite only has rails forward of the seat. Ideally I would like to have a rail in the rear so I can mount the rod holder and place the rods horizontally. I guess I could mount two rails or make an insert for the flush mount rod holder to use a Scotty holder. I currently put the reels in the tank well behind me and they are kept in place by the bungees but I should leash them (a project for this week). The only problem with this set up is the rod tips are exposed and occasionally they tangle the line of the rod I am fishing. I guess that's why Jackson uses the tip holders on the Mayfly and their other yaks.

If I am carrying my conventional rod I will put it in the flush mount rod holder on my left so it does not interfere with my back cast.

The only other items I carry are a drift sock and small anchor which are in a dry bag in the rear tank well

I guess my setup is not that bad after all.

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
I just looked at a photo of the Bite.It looks like there is a small recess on the gunnel between the recessed rod holder and the tackle box slot. You could put a bungee there and lay the reel in there and bungee it down, then put a rod holder on the forward rails. Bungee the reel in the recess and put the forward section of the rod in the rod holder

mike126

Reaction score
MD - that is correct. The tank well wall behind the seat is lower. I am doing what you are recommending. I place the reel in the tank well under the bungee with the rod side up and the rod runs the length of the yak crossing outside of the foot block so the only issue is that the tip is overhanging the side of the yak.

My bag can get in the way a little since I place that directly behind the seat. I am looking at replacing the bag with a seat back bag to keep it out of the way. And I can place the Plano boxes either in the box slots or under the seat. That should keep things uncluttered.

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-
I've been kayak fishing for a long time, and fly fishing from kayaks for almost as long. The one thing I've learned is that there is not enough storage to take everything I THINK I need, so I try to take only what I REALLY need. When I go fly fishing, I take one rod. It lies along the length of the kayak with the reel in the back well under the bungee. I've never come close to losing a fly rod doing this, and I've kayak fished offshore, up bayous, along brushy little creeks- lots of different places. Please note I didn't claim to actually catch much, but I have fished in a wide range of locations. I can't have a rod in any kind of vertical holder when I'm kayak flyfishing- there will be a tangle on backcast such that God couldn't straighten it out.
I take my fly bag- an over the shoulder bag which holds a fly box, a few spools of leader material, forceps, and knife.
That's it. I don't have a stringer and I almost never have an ice chest. Of course, I so rarely catch anything, keeping fish is not much problem. When I do go offshore for snapper and such, I will take a soft-side ice bag to put any fools that happen to come along.
I guess what I'm saying is that when I go fly fishing in my kayak, I take the minimum, and if I need something that I don't have, then I'll bring it with me next trip. that's a good excuse to make a repeat trip, don't you see?

good day to all- Ed

mtboiler

Reaction score
I agree with Ed on the gear. I use the scout master principle we use to use when my son was in scouts. For first time hikers we give them a list. Then they bring everything plus twice as much. We don't say anything. After the camping or hiking trip we get back to the parking lot and we tell everyone to lay out their gear in three piles. 'NEVER' used, Used once, used more than once. Then we say, never bring back the never used, bring back all of the used more than once, and bring back half of the used once. Same principle for my kayak, hiking pack and now my waist pack I use when wade fishing. My waist pack use to weigh 8 pounds. Now it is under 3. Backpack was close to 35 with my packraft and fly rod. Now it is under 25 total. When you really look at what you bring you quickly realize you only need about half of the stuff.