Take your GPS on guided trips?

bloodmeridian

Reaction score
I'm curious to what everyone here thinks...Is it "OK" to bring your GPS on guided fishing trips? We asked 100 random readers that and interestingly, 41%answered “Hell yeah!” while 40% answered “Hell no!” The remaining 19% had no idea guides might care...

gt05254

Reaction score
Well, my thought: if you're getting rowed down a river, the GPS is a little silly. Unless you can't remember where to put in and take out. And you should wonder if you should even be fishing if you need a GPS to tell you what was good water and what wasn't.

I would say the very height of tackiness would be, say, you paid a guide to take you way in to some remote secret honeyhole of a fishing spot, and at every turn in the road, you were pounding in waypoints on yer little machine.
The effort expended in what may have taken years of work and experience to find/explore/navigate deserves a little more respect than yet another dose of instant gratification/greed by those that only "pay their dues" with dollars. (hey, that's a great phrase! don't anybody steal it!)

I once donated a day of grouse hunting over my dogs and in my private land coverts. Dentist bought the trip. Had a good day. Next week he was parked in my "spot", hunting the covert I had worked hard to get permission to hunt. Never asked me or landowner. It took every thing I had not to at least give him a flat tire or two. And he didn't even have a GPS.

They call me "analog man" around here,
Gary

littledavid123

Reaction score
I don't understand why a poll is needed to ascertain whether it is ok to GPS, when all you have to do is ask the guide and honor his request.

Unless the poll was about secretly taking GPS recordings and if that's the case I wouldn't want to be a part of any group that could even consider asking that question.

Dave

bloodmeridian

Reaction score
I don't understand why a poll is needed to ascertain whether it is ok to GPS, when all you have to do is ask the guide and honor his request.

Unless the poll was about secretly taking GPS recordings and if that's the case I wouldn't want to be a part of any group that could even consider asking that question.

Dave
It was simply a poll out of curiosity, Dave. Surely, you too occasionally wonder about things? I assumed this forum was a learning environment. Many people, the poll showed, didn’t realize that guides would be upset by a client bringing GPS. And that Dave, so that you understand, is why we asked the question.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure that Dave meant no offense with his comments and you are correct, this is a good learning forum. However there are always points that will elicit some rather passionate replies. It looks like this one hit a nerve :D

Me, I have no opinion, at least not one I'll put to the open board. I don't hire guides and I use an old Gamin ETrex Vista to keep track of my speed and travel time on the rivers for the sake of noting fuel consumption an important issue in Bush travel. I have saved a few way points out on the big swamp in case I have to cross in a blizzard so I know which direction to go in a whiteout. I also keep a laminated index card with declinated degrees of travel for those pesky times when the batteries die. I'm a Sunto Ranger type at heart.

Ard

littledavid123

Reaction score
It was simply a poll out of curiosity, Dave. Surely, you too occasionally wonder about things? I assumed this forum was a learning environment. Many people, the poll showed, didn’t realize that guides would be upset by a client bringing GPS. And that Dave, so that you understand, is why we asked the question.
My response was not meant as a personal response toward you bloodmeridan and I apologize for giving you that impression.

Words obviously have meaning and as your comment was originally written (and apparently mine) and understood by myself and other members also, it did lend itself to suspect interpretation.

Dave

B

blackbugger

I would be annoyed if someone I was with on the rivers in Montana pulled out a GPS. I'd probably say so and let the chips fall where they may.

I also tend to glare at people who pull there cell phones out to pointlessly yak while in the boat.

Vans

Reaction score
I can see the huge advantage it would give someone trying to learn a new water but i would get the guides approval first. If he/she was opposed i am confident i could remember locations without the electronic aid.

bloodmeridian

Reaction score
My response was not meant as a personal response toward you bloodmeridan and I apologize for giving you that impression.

Words obviously have meaning and as your comment was originally written (and apparently mine) and understood by myself and other members also, it did lend itself to suspect interpretation.

Dave
Dave, no need to apologize. The poll's language was just that: is it "OK"? Nothing to interpret - people either think they're entitled to do so or not, and the answers were surprisingly close (41/40). I see both sides of the argument, but I grimace at the tactlessness of bringing a GPS unit. The last thing I'd be interested in doing is creating an issue between me and a guide I'm depending on for a fantastic day on the water.

wt bash

Reaction score
It would take half the fun out of it for me. I like the idea that I might have found something on my own. Plus its just another bit of kit I'd end up losing or smashing! But then what do I know, I don't even own a cell phone!

db cooper

Reaction score
Devils advocate...Hell ya its ok...your paying a guide for his knowledge of a particular area not his endorsement of a too fast rod and a too light reel. Mark the spots, use them, catch fish, enjoy...thats why we pay 600 a day. If he has a problem, go to his competitor...or dont tip. Its PUBLIC water for a reason. It doesnt belong to him!

bloodmeridian

Reaction score
Devils advocate...Hell ya its ok...your paying a guide for his knowledge of a particular area not his endorsement of a too fast rod and a too light reel. Mark the spots, use them, catch fish, enjoy...thats why we pay 600 a day. If he has a problem, go to his competitor...or dont tip. Its PUBLIC water for a reason. It doesnt belong to him!
Hahaha...and here comes the storm!!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I've never taken a guided trip, but I think most water a fly guide is going to take you on, you don't need a gps for. I live on a 1,107,280 acre lake with over 14,000 islands, and more than 65,000 miles of shoreline. I can find my way around it just fine without a GPS. The river here even more so. But if I take someone here fishing and they pull out a GPS, fine, more power to them. I'll suggest which chip works best for here and give them my coordinates for stuff the chip missed. If you look at the GPS technology they have today, there is very little left in the way of secret structure. I even have a Lakemaster disc, that has my Lake in 1' increments, and I can zoom in on spots, print a map of it, that shows everything but lost fishing tackle. Anyone who thinks there are secrets now, is deluding themselves.
Digital GPS Lake Maps - Lowrance 2009 LakeMaster Woods/Rainy

wt bash

Reaction score
Devils advocate Its PUBLIC water for a reason.

Not trying to start an argument here but if its "public water" do you really need a GPS? It just seems lame and as said before "tacky". For lakes, bays and open water sure but on a river or stream? There's alot more I could say as this falls into the trend I see in fly fishing these days, so I just assume keep my mouth shut and from now on stay away from threads like this.

db cooper

Reaction score
Not trying to start an argument here but if its "public water" do you really need a GPS? It just seems lame and as said before "tacky". For lakes, bays and open water sure but on a river or stream? There's alot more I could say as this falls into the trend I see in fly fishing these days, so I just assume keep my mouth shut and from now on stay away from threads like this.
Public water is the ONLY water i could see needing a GPS on. Being guided on private water would lead me to believe you wouldn't have access without said guide. Do i use a GPS? No. Do i use guides? No...cant afford them. Guidebooks yes, but not guides. Im not for hot spotting myself, but i feel it should be up to the angler...not really a group conscious or a guides policy. Like i said...playing devils advocate.
:starwars:

wjc

Reaction score
I assumed you were speaking of salt water. In that case it would be a no no.

In fact, if you were to take one in the back country, and any of the guides I know happened to notice it, you can bet that the only way you would ever be able to follow that track would be at high tide, because the rest of the trip would be through the skinniest water their skiffs would handle at high tide.:D

In short, you'd better have an account with sea tow, and be prepared to spend a night with the mosquitoes.

Cheers,
Jim

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
A few thoughts cross my mind.:popcorn:

Many of the more 'modern' cameras will actually post in a GPS position when you take a picture (hit properties on the photo and look at the left; does or doesn't). Ditto with many of the tricked out phones you can buy today; built in GPS units. Clueless why anyone would want one of those, but several million's of folks appear to disagree on that point.:rolleyes:

But to my thought here only. If this is a one and only trip (not a rip the Guides knowledge) I have no problem (if I had one) telling the 'Guide' I was going to take GPS locations so I could identify where I'd taken pictures. Totally new river ... do you really know where you are on a new river eve with a map in hand? Personally I don't, even if it's a river I have general knowledge (new stretch).

So you're going to be 'there' for a few days, asking a Guide to point out "Public Access" points is fair game in my opinion. Typical float will be 5 to maybe 8 miles if your really going to do a lot of fishing on the way.

Knowing where (new river) where you can hoof it into 'tomorrow' is a reasonable request. Of that entire float you (on foot) maybe able to access 5 -10 percent. He still has the rest to himself.

Just thoughts, just thoughts.

fae