Taylor Anomaly Z (Graphene Rod) sneak peak

GEK79

Reaction score
The Anomaly Z is almost here! Our Z web page will be up before the end of the week and sales will start on Thanksgiving day.

Will await the reviews on here.. Will the European market have an option to buy.. Please. 🙏🙏

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where there's a will there's a way, I buy from the UK frequently and am sure that if you want to try one of Taylors rods you'll be able to do so. You have to be aware of the VAT over there though I think and that can sour a deal quickly I'm told.

Ard

GEK79

Reaction score
Where there's a will there's a way, I buy from the UK frequently and am sure that if you want to try one of Taylors rods you'll be able to do so. You have to be aware of the VAT over there though I think and that can sour a deal quickly I'm told.

Ard
Will have a look and se what I can find..

pati

Reaction score
Hi Gary

I exchange emails with Matthew Taylor who confirmed he s happy to ship direct to the UK and Shipping is $25-$35 (+tax), I guess it will be fairly similar for Ireland!

@Matthew: could you please elaborate on the action of the Anomaly Z and what it was designed for?

Thanks !

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
Here is some of the descriptions we are working on at the moment...

TECHNOLOGY
GRAPHENE - Graphene was discovered in 2004 by a researcher at the University of Manchester. The discovery won the researcher a Nobel Prize in physics. Graphene is carbon product that is a single molecule thick arranged in a honeycomb pattern. Graphene is revolutionary as a material because it is stronger than diamonds and over 100X stronger than steel of the equivalent weight. Graphene is revolutionary in the world of fly rods because it allows us to build a blank that is lighter and significantly stronger than ever before.

THE HARDWARE - A revolutionary blank requires top of the line hardware. The Anomaly Z uses the new cericoil stripping guides. Cericoil guides are more durable and made with lightweight titanium. The remaining guides are single foot REC recoil titanium guides. These guides bend without breaking and also act as tiny shock absorbers to eliminate any rod vibrations.

CRAFTSMANSHIP - Production rods aren't always known for their quality in craftsmanship. One-coat epoxies are fast and cost efficient but leave the blank with heavy, bubbly wraps that have no place on a top quality rod. The Anomaly is constructed with new top of the line materials and quality-centric techniques that keep wraps light, flat, and beautiful!

ACTION - The Anomaly is a fast/medium-fast action rod with a fast recovery speed.

osseous

Reaction score
Foregrip is already a deal breaker for me~ another "dry fly rod grip" that's too damned skinny.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

GEK79

Reaction score
Here is some of the descriptions we are working on at the moment...

TECHNOLOGY
GRAPHENE - Graphene was discovered in 2004 by a researcher at the University of Manchester. The discovery won the researcher a Nobel Prize in physics. Graphene is carbon product that is a single molecule thick arranged in a honeycomb pattern. Graphene is revolutionary as a material because it is stronger than diamonds and over 100X stronger than steel of the equivalent weight. Graphene is revolutionary in the world of fly rods because it allows us to build a blank that is lighter and significantly stronger than ever before.

THE HARDWARE - A revolutionary blank requires top of the line hardware. The Anomaly Z uses the new cericoil stripping guides. Cericoil guides are more durable and made with lightweight titanium. The remaining guides are single foot REC recoil titanium guides. These guides bend without breaking and also act as tiny shock absorbers to eliminate any rod vibrations.

CRAFTSMANSHIP - Production rods aren't always known for their quality in craftsmanship. One-coat epoxies are fast and cost efficient but leave the blank with heavy, bubbly wraps that have no place on a top quality rod. The Anomaly is constructed with new top of the line materials and quality-centric techniques that keep wraps light, flat, and beautiful!

ACTION - The Anomaly is a fast/medium-fast action rod with a fast recovery speed.
Thank you for the info.. Will await the release and prices..

pati

Reaction score
Thanks Matthew,

Do you mind me asking for more details on the intended purpose for each rod in the series ? Maybe starting with the 905: what is it intended for? Would you put it as a « power » or a « presentation » type of rod?

Thanks !

Very excited about this rod as it has the technological attributes to be a nice heir to my beloved NTis!

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
There are three models available at launch. 8’6”4wt, 9’5wt, and 9’6wt. I will divide and describe each.

Our premium rods are the Truth and Anomaly. The Truth is our fast action rod with the Anomaly being our medium-fast rod. Our original Anomaly does fit in the upper end of medium-fast and yellowstone labeled it a power rod. Our new Anomaly Z is more of a true medium fast. It has slightly more flex in the top two section when compared to our original Anomaly. I wouldn’t describe the tip as being soft. The recovery speed is very fast in the tip, but it has flex. I might describe it as the opposite of ”fast with feel”, it’s more like ”flex with speed”. Maybe “snappy” is a good word. I’m not sure if the rod would fit power of presentation... it might be flirting with the boarder between them.

8’6” 4wt
- Line recommendation - Rio Elite Technical Trout
- Action - Medium fast profile with fast recovery speed
- Uses - Small to medium sized water, dry, nymph, midges

9’ 5wt
- Line recommendation - Rio Elite Gold
- Action - Medium fast profile with fast recovery speed
- Recommended Uses - Small, Medium, or Large sized water, dry, nymph, midges, hoppers

9’ 6wt
- Line recommendation - Rio Elite Gold
- Action - Fast/Medium-fast profile with fast recovery speed
- Recommended Uses - Medium, or Large sized water, dry, nymph, hoppers, small streamers

I’m not sure if any of that helps. S&S fished the 4wt proto and maybe can give you some alternative comparisons and descriptions.

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
Foregrip is already a deal breaker for me~ another "dry fly rod grip" that's too damned skinny.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
It is a new grip design. It is a western style with the swell moved forward a bit. I’m 6’2” with very long arms and large hands. I don’t like skinny grips. The grip was the final part of the rod to be revised. We increased the grip size by 2mm throughout for increased comfort.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
It is a new grip design. It is a western style with the swell moved forward a bit. I’m 6’2” with very long arms and large hands. I don’t like skinny grips. The grip was the final part of the rod to be revised. We increased the grip size by 2mm throughout for increased comfort.
I`m with yah but many times I have to make due with other rods that I like the action of so over the years, its not the thing I focus on while fishing. Grip fatigue or swing weight has never been a thing for me. Nice rod man very interesting!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
From lower in this Rod section, here are my comments about Anomaly Z #4's proto. https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/.../a-new-series-coming-soon-from-taylor.904322/

The prototype had a different nicely proportioned grip of high quality cork and I'll report on the production one when I am able to. I'll correct Matthew, he says this rod has quick recovery, really it is more like exceptionally fast recovery. This is, of course, largely due to his design but I strongly suspect this graphene technology is a facilitator of superior recovery. Mass reduction is very evident in this extra light weight rod.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I`m with yah but many times I have to make due with other rods that I like the action of so over the years, its not the thing I focus on while fishing. Grip fatigue or swing weight has never been a thing for me. Nice rod man very interesting!
Different strokes for different folks. It has always been about the lowest swing weight for me all things being equal. And thin grips mean more sensitivity fot me esp if nymphing. Glad we have choices.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. It has always been about the lowest swing weight for me all things being equal. And thin grips mean more sensitivity fot me esp if nymphing. Glad we have choices.
Well that goes without saying, A bigger grip is nicer for me but not a deal breaker, a really light rod is nice but not a deal breaker for me either I`ll cast heavier glass all day or spey rods with one pound reels, So yeah interesting rod for me in 4wt. Your milage may vary.