Taylor Anomaly Z (Graphene Rod) sneak peak

dr d

Reaction score
Damn G. Anderson for "dividing" rods into Power or Presentation models. These are hardly mutually incompatible traits.

"damn g.a." will be condemned at the end of this month to decide between sky-g,anomaly z,hardy ultralite ll a.s.o....

as well as loomix nrx+,asquith,hardy ultralite ,truth...;)

nice we.

thomas

okaloosa

Reaction score
Well that goes without saying, A bigger grip is nicer for me but not a deal breaker, a really light rod is nice but not a deal breaker for me either I`ll cast heavier glass all day or spey rods with one pound reels, So yeah interesting rod for me in 4wt. Your milage may vary.
I used to catch 120 lb tarpon on 3 oz rods with 8 oz reels....I just dont understand the need or reason to use such heavy equipment for trout unless you are fishing big fast rivers for large steelies or salmon and you need to cast far and sink those flies deep and fast.....

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I used to catch 120 lb tarpon on 3 oz rods with 8 oz reels....I just dont understand the need or reason to use such heavy equipment for trout unless you are fishing big fast rivers for large steelies or salmon and you need to cast far and sink those flies deep and fast.....
WOW Good for you!

okaloosa

Reaction score
WOW Good for you!
its not a pissing contest...once again I dont understand why you wouldnt want to use the lightest equipment possible with anything but steelhead and salmon. I feel like I would be waterboarding trout reeling them in with a heavy spey rod and a 1 lb reel....

osseous

Reaction score
You see the reel seat hood- with just a tiny sliver of cork encircling it?....then it gets narrower just forward? Deal breaker because the heel of my hand will cramp. Then that forward long thin taper down to the blank? Smaller diameter than the thumb and you lose the ability to steer the fly to the target. You like tiny steering wheels? I sure don't... and you can't make a stock grip big enough nearly as easily as you can reduce its size.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
You see the reel seat hood- with just a tiny sliver of cork encircling it?....then it gets narrower just forward? Deal breaker because the heel of my hand will cramp. Then that forward long thin taper down to the blank? Smaller diameter than the thumb and you lose the ability to steer the fly to the target. You like tiny steering wheels? I sure don't... and you can't make a stock grip big enough nearly as easily as you can reduce its size.

Yes, personally every handle could be larger for me, but thankfully I dont get the hand fatigue that friends complain about. So when Taylor responded the handle was going to be larger that's good for me.

pati

Reaction score
From lower in this Rod section, here are my comments about Anomaly Z #4's proto. https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/.../a-new-series-coming-soon-from-taylor.904322/

The prototype had a different nicely proportioned grip of high quality cork and I'll report on the production one when I am able to. I'll correct Matthew, he says this rod has quick recovery, really it is more like exceptionally fast recovery. This is, of course, largely due to his design but I strongly suspect this graphene technology is a facilitator of superior recovery. Mass reduction is very evident in this extra light weight rod.
Hi Matt and S&S

Reading the different answers « medium fast with fast recovery », shall I understand medium FLEX with fast recovery or MediumtoTip Flex with fast recovery ?

Not sure I otherwise understand what is meant by medium fast?

Thanks,

Looks like an interesting versatile rod!

myt1

Reaction score

It seems a shame to discount what appears is going to be a great rod based on the cork handle.

Maybe you could experiment with wrapping the handle in the same way golfers and tennis players wrap the handles of their putters and tennis rackets.

F1 sports cars use pretty small steering wheels, and, to throw another analogy out there, surgeons use instruments that have small grips as well.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Grip ergonomics have always been important to me. I don't mind thinner towards the rear as that is where one's smaller fingers encircle the cork but a broad foundation for me to plant my thumb upon is important to me. A short Orvis Superfine grip is not what is good for me but I have used it and survived the experience but osseous's hands are apparently huge and mine are more average.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
It is a new grip design. It is a western style with the swell moved forward a bit. I’m 6’2” with very long arms and large hands. I don’t like skinny grips. The grip was the final part of the rod to be revised. We increased the grip size by 2mm throughout for increased comfort.
What was the grip size that you increased it from? My hands are very wide and I have yet to find a grip that wasn't custom that is large enough in the rear taper. Not a deal breaker but close.
Will you be offering this as a blank? Can it be ordered with guides installed but no handle or reel seat so I can customize this element? I have always wished more rod companies would do this.

el jefe

Reaction score
What was the grip size that you increased it from? My hands are very wide and I have yet to find a grip that wasn't custom that is large enough in the rear taper. Not a deal breaker but close.
Will you be offering this as a blank? Can it be ordered with guides installed but no handle or reel seat so I can customize this element? I have always wished more rod companies would do this.
I proposed to a fly shop owner friend one time that he suggest to the rod companies to send completely assembled rods, but without the cork turned down. When the rod arrives at the shop, the shop works with the customer to turn the grip down to their preferred shape and size. There are a few requirements: (1) the shop has to have the proper equipment (at least a small lathe); (2) the shop needs to have properly trained personnel to do it; (3) the shop has to have some sort of standardized procedures in concert with the manufacturer to prevent things like the sandpaper or screen slipping off the grip as its turning and scratching the blank or reel seat (an easy problem to avert); (4) and there needs to be some sort of acceptance by the buyer that the grip may pass a point of no return if they sand just a little too much in some areas. Short of the equipment issues, these are all easy, but I can see where the rod companies would not want to expose themselves to potential issues with the customers. Alternatively, rod companies could just send the rods without the grips turned down, and leave it to the customer to arrange for the grip to be shaped, whether at the fly shop or by a rod builder, and the rod company washes its hands of any issues related to the shaping of the grip. There are potential customer relations pitfalls in those arrangements, which is probably why the rod companies--and most fly shops--won't do it. But I agree, your idea is a great one.

osseous

Reaction score
It seems a shame to discount what appears is going to be a great rod based on the cork handle.

Maybe you could experiment with wrapping the handle in the same way golfers and tennis players wrap the handles of their putters and tennis rackets.

F1 sports cars use pretty small steering wheels, and, to throw another analogy out there, surgeons use instruments that have small grips as well.
It seems a shame to see folks rule out a nice rod because manufacturers continue to put smaller and smaller grips on them. For the kind of money they get, WHY can't we have a choice of grips that suit us? A $75 tennis raquet offers this...for EXACTLY the same reason I outlined above. Control...comfort. For some reason, the lighter the line rating of a rod, the more this becomes an issue. Winston Pure and Sage's entire trout range with "snub nose" grips are ridiculous if you don't have snub nosed hands. Diameter goes down as well- along with control. It is confounding. You don't need a small grip on a trout rod- you need one that fits and provides control.

I speak out about this because I have witnessed this trend for 50 years- to the point where I cannot enjoy many of the top offerings.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I proposed to a fly shop owner friend one time that he suggest to the rod companies to send completely assembled rods, but without the cork turned down. When the rod arrives at the shop, the shop works with the customer to turn the grip down to their preferred shape and size. There are a few requirements: (1) the shop has to have the proper equipment (at least a small lathe); (2) the shop needs to have properly trained personnel to do it; (3) the shop has to have some sort of standardized procedures in concert with the manufacturer to prevent things like the sandpaper or screen slipping off the grip as its turning and scratching the blank or reel seat (an easy problem to avert); (4) and there needs to be some sort of acceptance by the buyer that the grip may pass a point of no return if they sand just a little too much in some areas. Short of the equipment issues, these are all easy, but I can see where the rod companies would not want to expose themselves to potential issues with the customers. Alternatively, rod companies could just send the rods without the grips turned down, and leave it to the customer to arrange for the grip to be shaped, whether at the fly shop or by a rod builder, and the rod company washes its hands of any issues related to the shaping of the grip. There are potential customer relations pitfalls in those arrangements, which is probably why the rod companies--and most fly shops--won't do it. But I agree, your idea is a great one.
I doubt most shops would do it even though it only takes a few minutes and can be done with the customer present to dial it in.
Just be cool to see it as an option for those of us with the capabilities. Handles are not one size fits all so are always offered as a compromise.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Because of the likelihood of this custom work by shop or consumers NOT working out perfectly leading to dissatisfaction, rod companies are best off not providing such a service. However, it has long been my opinion that they could/should offer alternative grip shape or at least small, standard and large size from the shop for a minor fee.

dr d

Reaction score
Because of the likelihood of this custom work by shop or consumers NOT working out perfectly leading to dissatisfaction, rod companies are best off not providing such a service. However, it has long been my opinion that they could/should offer alternative grip shape or at least small, standard and large size from the shop for a minor fee.
hi,

because of this i prefer meanwhile custom where all these little important things can be done.

b.r.

thomas

osseous

Reaction score
I have moved back toward building my own. Turn my own grip, use a better reel seat, and single foot guides on my trout rods. My 690LL has a significantly different (light!) feel compared to stock as a result.

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
Here is a little diagram of the mods we made on the cork. The black is the original and the red is the mods on the final version. We increased the top section towards the blank the most giving a more secure place for the thumb. Again, I will reiterate that I am tall guy with long arms and big hands. I don’t like skinny handles. I can assure you that the cork on the Anomaly Z is comfortable and a good size. We changed our handle from the original anomaly which was kinda a 3/4 wells. The shape is actually really close but without the flare at the top. Customization for both cork and reel seat is possible. Something to think about. We already offer a wide variety of reel customizations. There would be an additional cost for sure.

8872DF56-00DB-451C-A885-99E2C180793D.jpegDDFBAA2A-C199-4B6F-A792-468DE3DBA113.jpeg

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
Hi Matt and S&S

Reading the different answers « medium fast with fast recovery », shall I understand medium FLEX with fast recovery or MediumtoTip Flex with fast recovery ?

Not sure I otherwise understand what is meant by medium fast?

Thanks,

Looks like an interesting versatile rod!
We use rod action to describe how a rod flexes and bends. Recovery speed is how fast a rod returns to equilibrium after being flexed. A medium-fast action is going to flex the most in the top two sections. The recovery speed being ultra fast means the rod will straight very fast after being flexed. This might be a little bit of an oversimplification, but it gets the point across. The recovery speed on this rod is very fast and the swing weight is very light.

The rods feel a bit “transparent” when casting. The lighter the swing weight the more the rod disappears in the hand. You do get feedback from the rod, but less in the sense of weight and more in the feel of the line.

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
This chart is exaggerated, but gives you an idea on how we describe action. The fly fishing world needs a better and more universal way to describe a rods flex, recovery rate, and swing weight.
F250EE93-EF1F-4542-BD37-2BDA02D84A08.jpeg

pati

Reaction score
This chart is exaggerated, but gives you an idea on how we describe action. The fly fishing world needs a better and more universal way to describe a rods flex, recovery rate, and swing weight.
View attachment 28108

Thanks that’s were I was getting at!

To me the swingweight thing remains a mistery!
We should really speak only of Flex (full flex / full to mid flex / mid flex / mid to tip flex / tip flex), and then “speed” attributes should only be in relation to recovery speed.

The mid to tip flex with ultra fast recovery is exactly the combo that rocks my boat so the Anomaly Z is only even more attractive:)