Taylor Anomaly Z (Graphene Rod) sneak peak

dillon

Reaction score
I've been switching on the A Z #4 between Gold and Technical Trout...it really is based on habitat as it throws both so well with T T having a lighter touch and Gold, as one would imagine, being more aggressively tight. Dillon, if you are reading, what are you fishing on A Z #6? I want a T Z #6 too, I still have no time line.
I have cast both Gold and Expert Distance Taper lines on my 6 wt. Anomaly Z. Both cast well, but my preference for casting small dries is the MEDT.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A Z is medium fast, Truth is Taylor's faster action more power oriented lineup. Not that Anomaly Z is a slouch in any way. This is not a real comparison but conceptually think Sage X relative to Igniter.

pati

Reaction score
A Z is medium fast, Truth is Taylor's faster action more power oriented lineup. Not that Anomaly Z is a slouch in any way. This is not a real comparison but conceptually think Sage X relative to Igniter.
Ok got it!

But are we talking power or stiffness though? (Genuine question: coming back to NTi one thing I adore is how much power it has without any stiffness…). Nti 907 as an example is a pure brute of a rod that would easily be in the TCR 907 class in terms of power yet is not stiff at all whereas TCR was way too stiff for my liking (I haven’t tried Method and Igniter who I understand are the conceptual descendants of TCR - even though by your account it seems method and ignitor might be much more than that!).

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am currently fishing Truth (original 9'/#5) and it has power, yes but definitely not stiff, fairly fast and potent, yes, but smooth and lively too. I think highly of Matthew's skills in rod taper and technology development, my Truth features the Korean version of Japan's twin helical fabrication.

falcon53

Reaction score
I match my 6wt AZ with either SA Trout or Rio Gold. As Dillon mentioned with MEDT I use the Trout taper (very similar to MEDT) for smaller flies and a more delicate presentation and the Rio Gold for larger flies M Browns, Isos, Drakes etc) and more all around use. Both lines cast equally well. I can get more distance with Trout due to the longer rear taper. Mathew Taylor generally recommends the new Elite Rio Gold for the AZ at least in 5wt and 6wt and developed the taper using this line. Really nice rod and I'm pleased with the purchase. Very light in hand for a 6wt.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Thanks @dillon @falcon53 and @sweetandsalt for your line recommendations. Much appreciated. I'll load it up first with a new Rio Elite Gold as per Matthew's recs, then try it with the Rio Technical Trout on some smaller work.
A major line design difference despite other similarities is MEDT, Trout and Tech Trout all have front tapers in the 10' range while Gold is more like 5.75'. This is why Gold has such positive long leader turnover while these others posses slower more delicate delivery of small flies.

bevanwj

Reaction score
Thanks @dillon @falcon53 and @sweetandsalt for your line recommendations. Much appreciated. I'll load it up first with a new Rio Elite Gold as per Matthew's recs, then try it with the Rio Technical Trout on some smaller work.
I know fly line colour is a contentious issue but as one that prefers fishing neutral coloured fly lines in clear waters to our spooky browns I really do not like the fact that Rio has moved the gold coloured portion from the running line on the 'Intouch' onto the head on the 'Elite'. The 'Intouch' was Moss/Gray/Gold while the new 'Elite' is Moss/Gold/Gray. As a fellow South Island fisher I'm curious about what you think? Cheers!

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
I know fly line colour is a contentious issue but as one that prefers fishing neutral coloured fly lines in clear waters to our spooky browns I really do not like the fact that Rio has moved the gold coloured portion from the running line on the 'Intouch' onto the head on the 'Elite'. The 'Intouch' was Moss/Gray/Gold while the new 'Elite' is Moss/Gold/Gray. As a fellow South Island fisher I'm curious about what you think? Cheers!
It's frustrating when they do this. But I guess for visibility foremost. Perhaps they need to supply them in two color options - visibility or camouflage. All Moss would suit me fine.

I've been mostly fishing the SA Amplitude Infinity Smooth Camo, but even that has a fairly bright beige front end. The Airflo Dash with its Military Green forward section is probably my favourite colour in my current 'line up'. But I wonder how much of this colour shenanigans is for fisherman, not fish? To this point, I think the 15-16ft leaders I'm fishing are the key down here. I fished up to 18ft leader/tippets during March last year in the West Coast streams. Many of those backcountry tributaries had little pressure, but even then I was spooking fish regularly.

Any fly line will cast a shadow, so you may as well get one that is as accurate as possible, particularly at longer distances, like the Elite Gold is. Then I try to get a decent angle on the fish, even parallel where possible (depends on currents/stream width, etc) to avoid detection. I fish two #16 weighted nymphs instead of a larger fly in deeper water later in the season, when minimising surface disturbance is critical.

We just have to suck up what the line guys are doing and work with what we've got. By keeping us buying their latest gear, we're giving them more cash to invest in better floating, long lasting, more durable lines, right? 🤣

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
A major line design difference despite other similarities is MEDT, Trout and Tech Trout all have front tapers in the 10' range while Gold is more like 5.75'. This is why Gold has such positive long leader turnover while these others posses slower more delicate delivery of small flies.
Yes, similar head length but quite different profiles.

I have a series of high country streams that I only use the longer tapers on now – the water is often very still, crystal clear (or even clearer if that's possible), and fishing a shorter but fine tippet on a light fly is sufficient, given the narrow streambed. The TT turns these over fine on a med/fast action rod.

line-profile-elite-tech-trout2.jpgline-profile-elite-rio-gold.jpg
The Gold is a go-to option in NZ so matching this with a robust rod is important, as is choosing the lines that are a half-weight heavier and then matching those to rods like my old Radian (or to keep this on topic - the Anomaly Z) to punch into wind and turn over long leaders and tungsten weighted nymphs. And the Truth Z sounds like this will fit the bill even better! Can't wait to try both.

pati

Reaction score
What I don’t get is if you design a rod to be a 5wt, why then do you design it for Rio Gold that is a 5.5wt????

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
What I don’t get is if you design a rod to be a 5wt, why then do you design it for Rio Gold that is a 5.5wt????
AFFTA standards for a 5-weight line (first 30') are 134 - 146 grains with a median of 140. So Gold is at the upper end of standard, a line like Infinity at 150 gr. is half heavy. ALL of these lines on our potent rods are being aerialized beyond the 30' length so we are always casting more grain weight than the rated rod size, potent rods are designed to excels at this by reaching lower into their taper. One reason Gold is heavier than say SA Trout at 30' is the long front taper on Trout and correspondingly more thick forward head on Gold, it is about weight distribution more than overall mass. Virtually all my trout rods fish best with lines within their rated grain window.

pati

Reaction score
AFFTA standards for a 5-weight line (first 30') are 134 - 146 grains with a median of 140. So Gold is at the upper end of standard, a line like Infinity at 150 gr. is half heavy. ALL of these lines on our potent rods are being aerialized beyond the 30' length so we are always casting more grain weight than the rated rod size, potent rods are designed to excels at this by reaching lower into their taper. One reason Gold is heavier than say SA Trout at 30' is the long front taper on Trout and correspondingly more thick forward head on Gold, it is about weight distribution more than overall mass. Virtually all my trout rods fish best with lines within their rated grain window.
I agree onthe30’ point and it s probably the reason why I tend to prefer my « distance/power » rods « underlined », ie fishing a true to weight 4wt line on a 5wt rod.
To me overlining defeats the designer’s purpose…

bevanwj

Reaction score
It's frustrating when they do this. But I guess for visibility foremost. Perhaps they need to supply them in two color options - visibility or camouflage. All Moss would suit me fine.

I've been mostly fishing the SA Amplitude Infinity Smooth Camo, but even that has a fairly bright beige front end. The Airflo Dash with its Military Green forward section is probably my favourite colour in my current 'line up'. But I wonder how much of this colour shenanigans is for fisherman, not fish? To this point, I think the 15-16ft leaders I'm fishing are the key down here. I fished up to 18ft leader/tippets during March last year in the West Coast streams. Many of those backcountry tributaries had little pressure, but even then I was spooking fish regularly.

Any fly line will cast a shadow, so you may as well get one that is as accurate as possible, particularly at longer distances, like the Elite Gold is. Then I try to get a decent angle on the fish, even parallel where possible (depends on currents/stream width, etc) to avoid detection. I fish two #16 weighted nymphs instead of a larger fly in deeper water later in the season, when minimising surface disturbance is critical.

We just have to suck up what the line guys are doing and work with what we've got. By keeping us buying their latest gear, we're giving them more cash to invest in better floating, long lasting, more durable lines, right? 🤣
Can't disagree with anything you have said in particular when it applies to clear running water. In these situations long leaders are essential and if the fly line is kept out of the trout's window then colour is not as critical. As I fish a lot for cruising trout along stillwater margins I have found line colour to be more important. Unlike a river or stream where trout tend to be stationary they are always on the move and can come from any direction on still waters. When stalking cruising fish they can be found hard up against the bank or any distance out. Often I find myself casting well back from the water with only a few feet of line or just the leader or part thereof on the water.

A number of years ago I experimented with line colour on stillwater cruising fish. No fly or leader just the line. The trout were in very shallow water often with their back, dorsal fin and tail partly out of the water. I would lay the line down on the water and wait for the fish to cruise by. They would swim up to about a metre from the line then bolt. There is no doubt in my mind that they reacted to the flyline. It didn't make a difference if the line was casting a shadow or not. After that I started using lines that more closely matched the reeds and bankside vegetation and it didn't seem to bother them as much. They would swim directly underneath the line without blinking. For this reason I prefer to use neutral coloured lines. I like the way the Rio Gold casts on my Radian and have been using the 'Intouch' version with great success. Now that they have moved the gold portion up into the head I'm wary of the new 'Elite' Gold for this type of fishing. When it comes to replacing my Gold line I will probably go for the 'Premier' version with it's all Moss coloured head instead.

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
When it comes to replacing my Gold line I will probably go for the 'Premier' version with it's all Moss coloured head instead.
Yup, found the same fishing the Ahuriri ponds recently - more line on the bank than in the water. Premier Gold (146), or Elite Perception (150) would be fine for that stillwater work. Perception is green/camo/grey. Plenty of choice across the other manufacturers too.

steveid

Reaction score
More of the same with people wringing their hands over a listed 4-10 grain difference of line weight over 30 feet... Do people understand just how little 10 grains is? It's basically undetectable. I 1000% doubt that any human could detect a 10 grain difference over 30 feet of fly line through the casting stroke of a rod. Nobody here is checking weights of their leaders or weight variances from fly to fly that closely, and they probably have the same 4-10 grain difference. Beyond that, there is likely a measurable variance of deflection in rod models from one to the next.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Personally, I too like blend-with-nature colored lines, olive, mid tan and yes, sky blue too. Once a major national outdoor magazine editor approached me about fly line color and how trout may perceive it. I'm not sure we really understand how and what color and contrast trout see but I devised and experiment. Using a big bag full of fly lines provided by the magazine in all manor of colors from chartreuse and yellow to olive and buckskin, I tied a length of parachute cord from one bank to the other on a mid sized creek above a bridge. I waded out and affixed the lines equidistance from one another along the length of the cord. From the bridge, I photographed them illustrating the high or low contrast and color diversity against the darker green-brown bottom and flowing very clear water. Very attractive for the magazine article. Then I waded out again but now with an underwater camera and photographed them from beneath, the trout's perspective. Except for where the current bent line beneath the surface and sunlight glinted on its actual color, all the lines, being opaque and backlite against the sunshine, appeared equally dark. Of course, this is upon the water not being cast in the air above. Also on the water there may appear sticks and strands of vegetation floating over the fish. Many variables.

As an angler I like the line that casts and presents the best and hope its tone is organic. I strive to cast away form the fish to avoid flash, movement and droplets of spray. I fish long leaders. I move, make subsurface noise and stick out of the water. Lots of potential distraction for the fish. So I strive to stand in a shadow if possible, not get too close and keep line leader and tippet out of the trout's window. Now and then it all comes together and the fish sips my fly.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
More of the same with people wringing their hands over a listed 4-10 grain difference of line weight over 30 feet... Do people understand just how little 10 grains is? It's basically undetectable. I 1000% doubt that any human could detect a 10 grain difference over 30 feet of fly line through the casting stroke of a rod. Nobody here is checking weights of their leaders or weight variances from fly to fly that closely, and they probably have the same 4-10 grain difference. Beyond that, there is likely a measurable variance of deflection in rod models from one to the next.
I agree , a few little grains of weight are all but imperceptible. However, as I referred to, weight distribution is more apparent. If I take the same 9'/#5 and cast it with Gold, Tech Trout, Trout, Infinity and Cortland Omni-Verse, all close in weight as well as design concept, I not only feel the differences between them but often observe it visually in loop formation as their mass placement and the rods tip responsiveness impact one another. Sometimes it is not immediately obvious and takes time, sometimes it is crystal clear immediately. Taper taper taper. Sometimes it is splitting hairs...GS 8'4"/#4 like Trout better than Tech Trout, T LL 8 1/2'/#4 like Tech Trout better than Trout; in a vacuum either would be fine with either.