Tenkara and lakes

blueeyedson

Reaction score
When I backpack in the sierras, I often camp at lakes and always bring along a tenkara rod. I've almost always been able to have more than enough fun with playful trout cruising the shallows of those lakes, though they've tended to be smaller (6-8 inches) fish. I'd imagine that many of the lakes have bigger fish, just beyond the reach of a tenkara rod in the deeper water and I've tended too feel a bit limited with a tenkara rod trying to fish such lakes. I'd be curious to hear from others about their techniques for fishing lakes with a fixed length of line as on a tenkara rod. Any wisdom?

pcolapaddler

Reaction score
I fish fairly often from a pond near my house using a Tenkara rod.

I use either a 3 position zoom rid or a 10'10" fixed length rod. I have used line and tippet lengths up to 1.25 the rod length. I've wanted to try longer lengths to get a bit further from the bank.

Sitting by the pond or on the river with my little Buddy...

blueeyedson

Reaction score
Thanks. I might be able to get away with a longer rod, though 14' has felt pretty long. I'll have to play around with a longer line - I've just worried about landing fish if it gets too long. But it'd be worth a try to see whether any lurks in the darker waters ...

patrick62

Reaction score
I have a couple of rods that lend themselves to chucking a lot of line.

Two of them are Goture cheapies, 18 and 15 feet (roughly). I can easily sling double their length. (Landing the fish is another matter.)

They are heavy, though. Somewhat less cumbersome, and decidedly better in every way -- and considerably more expensive -- is the Taka 13-15 foot zoom from Zen Tenkara. Despite its relative heft, this is a precision instrument.

But for just fooling around I'd get one of the cheapies, the longest furled line available, a box of woolies, and see how it goes. If it doesn't pan out you can always use the rod as a really big tomato stake.

blueeyedson

Reaction score
I have a couple of rods that lend themselves to chucking a lot of line.

Two of them are Goture cheapies, 18 and 15 feet (roughly). I can easily sling double their length. (Landing the fish is another matter.)

They are heavy, though. Somewhat less cumbersome, and decidedly better in every way -- and considerably more expensive -- is the Taka 13-15 foot zoom from Zen Tenkara. Despite its relative heft, this is a precision instrument.

But for just fooling around I'd get one of the cheapies, the longest furled line available, a box of woolies, and see how it goes. If it doesn't pan out you can always use the rod as a really big tomato stake.
I'll have to experiment with the longer lines. I do take a longer tenkara rod. I've usually been taking the tenkarabum traveler and fishing it fully extended at around 14 feet.