Tenkara, not a fan.

hatidua

Reaction score
I "tenkara" fished as a kid in Asia. We'd cut a stick that was fairly straight, usually about 4' long, tie a length of thread to it that was identical in length, dig up some worms in the yard and we were wildly successful in the local streams. The local kids (Mindanao, Philippines) took the catch home and ate it, I merely did it for fun. That was nearly 50 years ago. I've not tried tenkara fishing since.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
A primitive version here in Australia (well in the tropical north at least) was known as a Ned Kelly rod.Ned was an infamous Bushshranger back in the Colonial days in the southern State of Victoria,but what that's got to do with a fishing pole I have no idea....Anyway the Ned Kelly rod was simply a broomstick with ten feet or so of heavy Nylon line fixed to the business end.This no-nonsense outfit was used to pull Barramundi,Cod and whatever else grabbed the bait (usually meat) out of snags and underwater spaghetti.

dpnoll48

Reaction score
So, I've always wondered why one couldn't rig a tenkara rod just like I did my cane pole, with a tiptop guide and the fly line run down to the handle? That let me shorten or lengthen the line as needed/wanted for the situation and I could fish a very short line into tight places or about 1 1/2 the pole length where there was room to swing it.
Trev,

Critter

Reaction score
Yea there was a guy using one on a creek here, I watched for a while, then he let me give it a try. The creek we were on was about as big a water as I would say “ fits” this way of fishing. It was ok, but personally I won’t be buying a tankara rod. If I fished really small streams it would work great for that, but I just don’t fish them enough, at all really.