TFO Mangrove vs Pro II

Rustic River

Reaction score
I have a 6wt TFO Pro II and am considering upgrading it to a TFO Mangrove in the same weight. TFO markets the Mangrove as a fast action rod, but everything I've read online says it's more of a medium-fast action. To those who have handled both rods, is the Mangrove faster than the Pro II, or are they pretty similar in action? Can the Mangrove handle heavier, more aggressive tapered lines like a SA Mastery Bass Bug line a little better than the Pro II, or is the performance going to be similar? Lastly, how much better in general is the Mangrove than the Pro II? I'm assuming it's more accurate and has a little more backbone, but I'd love to hear your experiences. Thanks!

jayr

Reaction score
I have both rods, but in different weights.

My mangrove is a 7 weight and the Pro II is a 4. The Mangrove is much faster than the Pro II.

Rustic River

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I plan to use the Mangrove for two purposes. One is for Texas river fishing for bass, carp, panfish, gar, etc. and I plan to pair my SA Mastery Bass Bug 6wt line with it for that to help turnover poppers and streamers. I really like a 6wt for our river fish as I find it to be the perfect balance between a rod with enough power for bigger flies and fish, yet small enough to still really enjoy fighting panfish when they hit.

The other purpose for the Mangrove will be to use it as a streamer stick when trout fishing. I'm headed to Colorado on Saturday for a week to fish the South Platte River and plan to use my Echo Carbon XL 9' 5wt rod for dry flies, nymphs and the like. I thought the Mangrove would be a great second rod to have with me rigged up for streamers with a SA Mastery MPX 6wt line. I figured it would also make a good dry fly rod should the wind get bad or should something happen to my 5wt.

jayr

Reaction score
Your plan pretty much sounds like mine. I got mine as a compromise smallmouth/carp rod along with throwing big streamers on some of our tailwaters around here.

It does take some getting used to as I fish medium action rods in the 3-4 weight range.

swfl daz

Reaction score
I've had them both in the same weights and still have a 6wt Mangrove and a 7wt Pro II. I agree with jayr that the Mangrove is faster, but I wouldn't consider it a true fast action rod like the original Axiom and the TiCrX, or the new Axiom II-X. It is a fun short range rod though.

stinger22

Reaction score
Believe the Mangrove has a coating that protects it from dings so has not to damage the graphite also a well know smallmouth author from the Midwest recommends the Mangrove and over lineing it by 2 line wts. with SA Titan Taper

swfl daz

Reaction score
Believe the Mangrove has a coating that protects it from dings so has not to damage the graphite also a well know smallmouth author from the Midwest recommends the Mangrove and over lineing it by 2 line wts. with SA Titan Taper
I'd think that overlining a Mangrove by just one weight, much less two would turn it into a noodle. It's not that fast of a rod in the first place.

stinger22

Reaction score
I'd think that overlining a Mangrove by just one weight, much less two would turn it into a noodle. It's not that fast of a rod in the first place.
Yes those Titan lines are heavy to start with I was surprised 2 over reread the blog site think it also reduced the number of false cast

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Some fellows recommend going up two line weights with the Titan's on Mangrove rods for smallie fishing, see the Tim Holschlag article. They can certainly handle it and it cuts back on the false casting which is pretty much a waste of time.