TFO Pro II or TFO Signure II

kbbgood

Reaction score
I need to get a 7-8 wt. to cast those big streamers here in Mo. Will these TFO Signature II oe Pro II rods work? I never try to cast all that far so Will they do the job for me?

dennyk

Reaction score
TFO rods are a good choice and come with a very good warranty. I do not own one, but know those that do, I certainly have not heard anything negative about them. What are you fishing for in Mo.? and what size waters?

If this is just going to be a dedicated streamer rod for medium size waters a 7 wt should will work well for you. I typically use a 6 wt for streamer trout fishing and my 7 wt for streamer smallmouth fishing. The only reason I'm fishing the 7 wt is it's bigger water. In your case doing a lot of casting with the 7 wt will result in less arm fatigue vs the 8. Going from my 7 wt to my 8 wt there is a notable difference.

Signature II Fly Rods - Temple Fork Outfitters

Denny

brownbass

Reaction score
I haven't cast the 8 weight but the Signature II in the 5 weight is a very nice casting rod. For trout in Missouri, a six would seem the better choice and the 7 would be fun for Bass. Will you be fishing the rivers or Taneycomo in the Show-Me State?

Bill

Scootermax

Reaction score
I own the Pro II in 7 & 8 wt. I love them. They cast nice. Have used the 8 wt. in Key West for speckled trout, small jacks, snapper. I am a novice, crashed a few clousers in a stiff wind. Rod is still going strong. You can feel these rods load, very helpful for me. Buya case, only comes with rod sock. For $169.95, a great rod. I personally like the 8 wt. the best. Has a nice feel to it.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I had those rods at one time, and enjoyed them both, but I favored the Pro II. A wonderful progressive taper with a med/fast action. This would be the rod I would suggest for you if you want to throw streamers.

Signature Series is more a moderate action, mid flex. It's a great rod for creeks, in the 3 & 4wt class. But in the weights your looking for, it'll work, but I think you'd be happier with the Pro II. JMHO.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
For streamers, I'd also recommend the Pro. II 7 wt over the Signature series. I owned that rod for a couple years, I think 2014-2015? I used it for throwing streamers and big poppers, mice, etc. at smallmouth and trout. I did have some breakage issues. TFO always has incredible service, and I'd get my rod back in a week or so each time. But after 6 or so breaks, I gave up on that rod and I ended up replacing it with a 7 wt TFO Mangrove and have had no more issues. The Pro also seemed to wear me out more than other rods over a long day of fishing. But it also landed some big fish for me! Most folks don't ever have any breakage problems, so maybe there was another factor leading to my issues. I'd say you'd be happy with it it's performance as a streamer rod.

fr8dog

Reaction score
I have a Pro II in 6. I use it for throwing streamers at white bass. Very nice action for that. If I needed a 7 or 8 I’d be looking at one of those first.

flav

Reaction score
I've cast both in an 8 weight and the pro is definitely a better rod for casting streamers. Plus the pro comes as a 4 piece and the signature only comes in a 2 piece which settles it for me. I'd lean towards the 7 weight. I used the 8 for west coast steelhead and silver salmon in Alaska, and it's way too much rod for trout in my opinion.

kbbgood

Reaction score
I have been looking at the youtube stuff about the Northfork river and the big browns they are catching and just trying to outfit myself for them. I did see one of the guides say they use TFO cause the warrenty is good and quick to replace rods they break. They also say they have gone up to 9wt. rods. I already have 5 and 6 wt. rods, just don't know if I should get 7-8wt or not. They are all using big streamers.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I have been looking at the youtube stuff about the Northfork river and the big browns they are catching and just trying to outfit myself for them. I did see one of the guides say they use TFO cause the warrenty is good and quick to replace rods they break. They also say they have gone up to 9wt. rods. I already have 5 and 6 wt. rods, just don't know if I should get 7-8wt or not. They are all using big streamers.
While I prefer a 7wt for most streamer fishing with sinking lines from a boat, the White/Norfork area is one place I’d probably guess might call for an 8. I haven’t had the chance to fish there, but friends of mine that have said they used 5-7” flies and 300 grain lines for 25+” browns. That’s 8wt territory in my book.

YYCFly

Reaction score
I also own the 7/8 Pro II rod that was handed down to me by a friend. I can attest to the warranty as I live about 30 minutes from their office. It's a pretty solid rod but rarely see usage as my 5/6wt NXT handles everything in my area.

stinger22

Reaction score
Both good rods ones cheaper 2 or 4 piece I have a pro 2 and well satisfied with it has a spigot ferrules which leaves small gap between sections might check tfo web site they have a new nxt model coming out in a couple months

kbbgood

Reaction score
I have a Sage RPL690 custom built. It being a slower rod I wonder if it will handle big streamers or will it also handle upgrading it to a 7wt line? I live between 2 blue ribbion trout streams and close to a few nice creeks too. None of them more then 20-30 yrds accross and most wadable. Getting a pontoon to get me down them. Would love to see you guys out there some day.