The 2014 "Fly Box 80" Collections...

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
THE BIG NEWS... As I'm well into the tying these days, I'm ramping up my 2014 "Fly Box 80" collections and making them into the "Fly Box 90+ collections. In a nutshell, you'll receive not 80, but 90+ flies in a gasket-rimmed waterproof two-sided box-- 40 dries on the one side, 8 dries, 24 nymphs and a surprise or 10 on the other, with a bonus of 8 additional flies tied by "my kids" during their recent class sessions for the grand total of 90 flies. (They're into "variants" right now...)

I'm a little flexible on the mix of flies, should you need more nymphs and less dries. Right now, I'm tying more size 12 through size 16 than anything else, but I've got some size 10 dries and a few size 18 nymphs as well. As a rule, I can work with anyone on tailoring the selection to their liking... as best I can.

I'm asking $60 per box of 90+ flies, with free shipping via USPS Priority Mail. Paypal works best for me, with no fees charged. My Paypal info is: jwarrington1 at copper dot net. That's also my home e-mail address.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM or drop me an e-mail at the e-mail address above...

Thanks for looking, my friends. Spring and trout season are only a month or two away...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited:

hairwing530

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, meathelmet... As some of "my crew"-- friends who contribute --are on journeys to warmer climes for awhile, most of the work that's included in these boxes comes from the hands of yours truly, with a little help from a couple of "special" tyers from the classes with "my kids..."

Larry... your boxes ship at the first of the week. Let me know what you think...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score
The first of the boxes head out tomorrow, with another four of them within a day or two thereafter. I've still got quite a few boxes laid in for orders, and I'm tying on a daily basis. So, if you've a need for the season ahead, please let me know and I'll work with you on a selection that should kick things off right...

Tight lines always, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score
nir,

I'd be more than happy to send a box your way. However, I'd need some help with the shipping costs, as even a small Priority package to Canada runs around $20 to $25! The only reason that I know this is because I recently sent some hooks to one of my Canadian friends and it cost him $30.95 for his Priority service. His was a slightly bigger package, however.

Let me know either way via PM, as my e-mail account is currently having "issues..."

Thanks for inquiring about the fly boxes, and tight lines to you always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

labradorguy

Reaction score
Hey Jerry.

The two boxes I had ordered arrived the other day. Those are really nice boxes and the flies inside of them are absolutely gorgeous!! I can't wait to get them out on the water. I just can not see how a trout could possibly refuse such a fantastic looking offering. :)

Thanks again for such a great deal on these flies.

Labguy

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey labguy,

Thank you for the compliments on the fly boxes that arrived on your doorstep. Much appreciated...

I should warn you of two things, however-- trout have no real appreciation for "beautiful" trout flies-- dries or nymphs. Point #2-- should you ever decide to get the boys into fly-tying, keep an eye on the dog! The boys were quite interested in the use of Lab hair in the construction of some flies!! And, I can tell you from personal experience that "my girls" had NO appreciation for my "judicious trimming" of our old yellow Lab, even if her hair did lend itself to some really nice Lab-hair caddis patterns...

And, to the rest of my long-distance fishing cronies on this site... The $$$ from the sales of the next 6 or 7 boxes all will be channeled into a small "expenses" fund for one of "my kids." Ms Emily has been a four-time student of mine, and by the end of this year, she will lose her fight with leukemia, much the same as my own daughter did in 2010 at the age of 15. Thanks to the sale of some very special fly collections and a few of my own personal items, she and her family now have sufficient funds for a trip to the Catskills in late April-- her "dream trip," if you will. And, it's all because of a collective of caring and compassionate fly-wranglers, including some of you.

A mug of coffee is raised in honor to all of the anglers who cared enough to get involved, along with my heartfelt thanks...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score
In answer to a few questions about sizes, I've added the general size ranges that I'm working on right now. As far as patterns go? Because my "attention" seems to wander toward watching the ice head downriver, I've got a variety of patterns-- traditional ties like Adams, Cahills and the like, myriad nymphs, and some of my favorite dries-- parachute patterns in various flavors. Ask, my friends, and I'll do my best to make sure that you receive...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

labradorguy

Reaction score
I should warn you of two things, however-- trout have no real appreciation for "beautiful" trout flies-- dries or nymphs.
I'm sure that is true my friend, but I still have this desire to build a couple tiny little display boxes for some of those beauties... lol.

jjaram

Reaction score
Jerry, just received my fly box. Wonderful my friend. I will be ordering a couple of more shortly as gifts. Thanks so much. Joseph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hairwing530

Reaction score
Joseph,

Thanks for letting me know that your box arrived safely. I always worry until I hear that the "package" has made it to its new home.

And, as a favor to me, please let me know as soon as you can about the other "gift" boxes. I'll be calling my fishing cronie later today about getting some additional boxes and I want to make sure that I have enough on hand to fill your order. The tying's not a problem. Getting the boxes here with all of the ongoing weather delays sometimes creates a headache.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that you liked the selected works of the aging "hairwing530..."

Tie 'em on and fish 'em hard, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

labradorguy

Reaction score
Hey Jerry.

It's a cool, wet winter day here, so the boys and I are stuck inside fiddling with fishing gear. They had a couple questions for you about their boxes and they made me promise to pass them on to you as soon as I could.... :D First off, they already know that you really like the Parachute Adams, so now they're really curious as to what the other two flies are that are in your "Top 3".

FYI- It appears that they are now sleeping with your boxes under their pillows... :D

-Jason

hairwing530

Reaction score
Jason,

The boys obviously have been paying attention to my mental meanderings. I do love almost any fly tied in a 'chute pattern, and have no shortage of them in my fly boxes-- especially the Adams parachutes.

With that said, my second choice would be a Light Cahill, especially those tied by a young girl known as Emily. Like my own late daughter, Laramie, Emily is losing her battle with leukemia and I find myself packing my own boxes with some of her ties for both sentimental reasons, and the fact that a good Light Cahill will get the job done on the river.

Fly #3 in my own chosen lot would be a Royal Coachman, tied as a parachute or a Wulff pattern. Big, brightly colored and bushy to the extreme, it imitates absolutely nothing that frequents the streams and rivers I fish. But, when all else fails, the "Royals" have a tendency to get a reaction from almost any trout, even when I'm the one doing the casting and on-stream flailing!

Jason, when you get a chance, double-check the boys boxes and make sure that I included a few traditional Light Cahills. They both should have a few in their boxes for no other reason than the fact that those flies are very special, indeed. If they don't have any, let me know and I'll correct that oversight on my part.

Be well, my friend, and give them my best... always!

Jerry, aka hairwing530

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry: My two boxes will be going to CFR and PHW (in your name) as I appreciate all that you do for those cancer kids!

My favorite dry fly is a parachute adams also.

Larry

labradorguy

Reaction score
Jason,

The boys obviously have been paying attention to my mental meanderings. I do love almost any fly tied in a 'chute pattern, and have no shortage of them in my fly boxes-- especially the Adams parachutes.

With that said, my second choice would be a Light Cahill, especially those tied by a young girl known as Emily. Like my own late daughter, Laramie, Emily is losing her battle with leukemia and I find myself packing my own boxes with some of her ties for both sentimental reasons, and the fact that a good Light Cahill will get the job done on the river.

Fly #3 in my own chosen lot would be a Royal Coachman, tied as a parachute or a Wulff pattern. Big, brightly colored and bushy to the extreme, it imitates absolutely nothing that frequents the streams and rivers I fish. But, when all else fails, the "Royals" have a tendency to get a reaction from almost any trout, even when I'm the one doing the casting and on-stream flailing!

Jason, when you get a chance, double-check the boys boxes and make sure that I included a few traditional Light Cahills. They both should have a few in their boxes for no other reason than the fact that those flies are very special, indeed. If they don't have any, let me know and I'll correct that oversight on my part.

Be well, my friend, and give them my best... always!

Jerry, aka hairwing530
I agree with Larry, what you do for those children is a wonderful thing. We could all learn a thing or two from you my friend. There is not one thing I can do that makes me feel better than when I am able to put a smile on a child's face. I wish I were closer so I could see you in action with the young ones. :) I am sure your classes are truly special.

I read your answers to the boys and they were all ears. It's funny, I can tell them something and it goes in one ear and out the other, but if I read something from you, they take note...lol.

Tristan wants to know how you decide what to tie one when you first get to the stream. If there are no "bugs" to look at that is.... LOL. He is gearing up for his first trip of the year in a couple weeks and is already thinking about his strategy. I told you there were questions coming your way.... I hope you are up to it.

I will check out their boxes at the first opportunity. It seems there's concerns about Daddy "pilfering" though them, so they are currently stashed away in a safe place... :D For the record, you are working on a third box for me (so I have one too) and I have NONE of Miss Emily's Cahills... :)

I hope the timing works out. Nothing would make me happier than if they could catch their first fly rod trout on one of her special flies.

All my best my friend.