The 2014 "Fly Box 80" Collections...

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
tx_newb...

I'll set a pair of boxes aside for you... just in case you have the need...

Now, for your question, Jason... Some of the finest things about the sport of fly fishing, at least in my mind, are the traditions. The traditions can be as simple as an "Opening Day" fly rod that's reserved for that special outing, or as intensely personal as a singular fly that carries with it a backstory filled with a great deal of a man's own history.

For me, there's never a question as to what fly will be tied to the end of my tippet, come the early hours of the Opener. The business end of my set-up will carry an Adams, tied parachute style and in size #14. I could be hip deep in hatches that run counter to that choice, and the Adams would still be the first fly of the season. It was THE fly of my late elders-- traditionally tied in their day --and an Adams is still my "go-to" fly, only in 'chute form more often than not. Besides, it was the fly that started off a 50+ year love affair with fly fishing for an 8-year old boy many years ago, one that continues today...

When the 2014 season kicks off next month, I will make a small addition to my rituals of the Opener, in that I will change flies mid-stream and fish a traditional Light Cahill a few hours after "first light." And, it will come from a very special box that can always be found residing in the left chest pocket of my favorite fly vest. In it, I carry a collection of the last flies of my late daughters, Lauren and Laramie, and some of the Cahill patterns-- Light & Dark --of one Ms Emily. Carrying that box allows me to fish with them all again, and to remember... One day in the all-too-near future, the Cahills will be some of Ms Emily's last flies as well...

One last thought on this Monday morning... I want to thank you, Jason and Larry, for your kudos regarding "my kids" and our classes. It's nice to hear, though recognition has never been my goal. I do what I do because the grandparents who raised me were people of conviction, compassion and follow-through, and I'm thankful that a little of them spilled over into me. Because of them, I've never started something that I didn't finish. Besides, I made a promise to our youngest daughter before she lost her battle with leukemia that the classes would continue until my own health failed. I don't break my promises, either...

So ends my long-winded answer... Be well, guys, and set a hook for yours truly whenever you can...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I took a photo of Jerry's 2014 "Fly Box 80" collection for the CFR and PHW fly donation thread and thought I would post his two fly box donation here as well so you can see the beautiful work that he does, and best of all it goes to a great cause. Just realize that the photo is only showing one side of a two sided box.

Larry

labradorguy

Reaction score
tx_newb...

I'll set a pair of boxes aside for you... just in case you have the need...

Now, for your question, Jason... Some of the finest things about the sport of fly fishing, at least in my mind, are the traditions. The traditions can be as simple as an "Opening Day" fly rod that's reserved for that special outing, or as intensely personal as a singular fly that carries with it a backstory filled with a great deal of a man's own history.

For me, there's never a question as to what fly will be tied to the end of my tippet, come the early hours of the Opener. The business end of my set-up will carry an Adams, tied parachute style and in size #14. I could be hip deep in hatches that run counter to that choice, and the Adams would still be the first fly of the season. It was THE fly of my late elders-- traditionally tied in their day --and an Adams is still my "go-to" fly, only in 'chute form more often than not. Besides, it was the fly that started off a 50+ year love affair with fly fishing for an 8-year old boy many years ago, one that continues today...

When the 2014 season kicks off next month, I will make a small addition to my rituals of the Opener, in that I will change flies mid-stream and fish a traditional Light Cahill a few hours after "first light." And, it will come from a very special box that can always be found residing in the left chest pocket of my favorite fly vest. In it, I carry a collection of the last flies of my late daughters, Lauren and Laramie, and some of the Cahill patterns-- Light & Dark --of one Ms Emily. Carrying that box allows me to fish with them all again, and to remember... One day in the all-too-near future, the Cahills will be some of Ms Emily's last flies as well...

One last thought on this Monday morning... I want to thank you, Jason and Larry, for your kudos regarding "my kids" and our classes. It's nice to hear, though recognition has never been my goal. I do what I do because the grandparents who raised me were people of conviction, compassion and follow-through, and I'm thankful that a little of them spilled over into me. Because of them, I've never started something that I didn't finish. Besides, I made a promise to our youngest daughter before she lost her battle with leukemia that the classes would continue until my own health failed. I don't break my promises, either...

So ends my long-winded answer... Be well, guys, and set a hook for yours truly whenever you can...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Hey Jerry,

I read the boys your answer to their questions. It appears that you've created two new Adams fans. :) They've both picked out the Adams they want to start their trout season with. As for me, I'm going to fish a Light Cahill till I catch the first trout of the year. If you and Ms. Emily could send a couple my way with the third box, it would be much appreciated.

Take care my friend and thank you for taking the time to answer their questions. -Jason

hairwing530

Reaction score
cochise,

Your box should be arriving any day now. It was sent via USPS Priority Mail yesterday, and should hit your doorstep very soon. Please let me know when it lands...

And, Jason... I'm tying up some "special" goodies for your "do it all" box, as are some of "my kids," especially one in particular. Nope... not hints, my friend. Let's just say that the wait will be worth it, and I'll let your imagination run wild...

Glad to hear that I've made a couple of new "Adams converts." I'll include a few goodies for the boys in your upcoming package as well.

And, tx_newb and Joseph... If you're going to want a box or two, please get with me as soon as you can. I'm about five boxes away from accomplishing a mission to ensure Ms Emily's complete funding on her trip East next month, and a couple of orders would really help me "get 'er dun!" (Did I really just quote Larry, the Cable Guy? I must be tired...)

Be well, my friends... The feathers are flying and the Opener is only 1.5 months away!!!

Jerry, aka hairwing530

8snake

Reaction score
I'm the fortunate recipient of three fly boxes from Jerry and can't say enough good things about the man, his work and the cause it supports. The only problem I see with the whole thing is that they're almost too cheap. No kidding at all. I feel like I underpaid for each box.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Guys,

Thank you for the compliments. I appreciate any feedback on my ties-- good, bad or indifferent, and fish photos, too. And, more than a few have said that my price for the flies they received was too low. I like to think of it as more of a "fair value" offering for my friends.

I tie as much as I do in the off-season for two reasons-- it's the best sort of therapy I can imagine-- my six months of rehab after my first brain tumor included a lot of tying. As well, wrapping many of the patterns that I tend to tie in a given day keeps me firmly grounded and in touch with my past. My elders, my two late daughters and I all tied together at myriad times in my life, and those of some of my fondest memories.

And, that I get to share their favorite flies with many of my angling "buds?" BONUS!!!

Keep a good thought, my friends, and remember this... In about 45 or so days, my waders again will re-direct the currents of the AuSable River as I whip the water to a froth...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

labradorguy

Reaction score
And, Jason... I'm tying up some "special" goodies for your "do it all" box, as are some of "my kids," especially one in particular. Nope... not hints, my friend. Let's just say that the wait will be worth it, and I'll let your imagination run wild...

Glad to hear that I've made a couple of new "Adams converts." I'll include a few goodies for the boys in your upcoming package as well.

And, tx_newb and Joseph... If you're going to want a box or two, please get with me as soon as you can. I'm about five boxes away from accomplishing a mission to ensure Ms Emily's complete funding on her trip East next month, and a couple of orders would really help me.
Hey Jerry. Every one of the flies you sent is special, so you really do have my imagination running wild... I'm the kind of guy who watches for the UPS driver to come by when I know I have a reel or some gadget on it's way; I'll be pacing the floor with anticipation for this one. lol.

Let's make it four boxes to go instead of five. The boys are going to be in need of bluegill flies/poppers, or a box of adams, or just whatever is the easiest for you. Now that I think about it, I'm sure that you are probably worn out from all the recent work, so perhaps you can just consider it a donation to a wonderful cause?? Check your Paypal tomorrow.

You, Lauren, Laramie, Emily and all the rest of your wonderful children were at the very center of our bedtime prayers this evening my friend. Please do me a favor and make note of which flies are which when you send them, I'm planning on borrowing a page from your book and putting a select few in their own very special box.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Jason,

Prayers are always welcome in this house, especially for "my kids," Ms Emily, my late daughters, and those of us here who do what we can to keep the cancer "demons" at bay, or to keep alive the memories of loved ones who've passed on. "Those who are remembered are never truly gone, especially from the hearts of those who carry them always..."

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Donovan

Reaction score
Hi hairwing.

Are these a limited time deal? I am very interested in getting one but only towards August. I know thats a LOOOONG way away but have to hope for the best I guess.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey Donovan,

Welcome to the forum! You've joined into a great family of fly-wranglers here-- knowledgeable, helpful, and above all else, compassionate and caring. Any forum is only as good as its members, and this one ranks among the best there is for we who fish the fly. Again, welcome! Now, settle in and be prepared to enjoy searching around the site...

As for the availability of boxes in August? I do most of my tying during the winter months, as I tend to be "absentee" during the trout season with a river running not 65 feet from where I sit. I did say "most of my tying..." During the summer months, I do spend some time at the bench, replenishing my boxes-- and those of the "cronies" who frequent our place --and I've usually got a spare box or two around here. So, when you're ready, just give me a shout and I'll knock out a box for you. Deal?

Be well, Donovan, and tight lines to you always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mail lady just dropped off the box. As seen and stated before they are better than excellent.

Thank you Jerry! This will make someone very happy.

Folks, if you do not buy a box of flies from Hairwing you are losing money.

Donovan

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome Jerry.

Have to agree with you wholeheartedly, the advice and welcome I have been given in my few posts has been great. If I werent so many thousands of miles away I recon I could have quite a few memorable outings with some guys.

Thanks for the kind offer. My Mum is popping over to Canada in August so I am trying to compile a nice list of items for her to bring back for me. Seeing your box was a definite must have! I have tried tying my own and will hopefully get around to tying again sometime. For now I am practicing and practicing for my first rod build.

Thanks again for the welcome and the offer!

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Oh, question for you Jerry, as well as others here. Does anyone fish beetle patterns? Or flying ants? We use them here on certain waters and they work like a dream.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Guys,

Mission accomplished regarding Ms Emily!! She and her family are set and in a good place for all things financial. And, with "Doc" and his wife accompanying them on the trip East, I know her health will be monitored as well.

With the trip proceeds now in the "finished" column, I can start channeling the future box sales back into "stuff" for the tying classes and "my kids." Jason, Mike, Matt and all who chose to get involved... I thank you from the bottom of my heart! Your actions all did proud the fly-fishing community as a whole, especially me. What you've done makes the late nights at the bench well worth the efforts. Kudos to you all...

And, for anyone still considering a box, I plan on tying for awhile yet, as I plan on helping a few more of "my kids" realize a dream or two, no matter its size or complexity. There is a great feeling to be had in helping those young ones who now endure the treatments and issues that I know too well...

My thanks again, guys...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

jbird

Reaction score
Whoooooot!!!! That's great news Jerry. This news made my week!
I was never in doubt with you at the helm and the forum generosity! I cant wait to hear her report thru you when she returns. Have you considered writing a book by the way? I can think of a slough of folks who'd buy it, myself included! ;)

Im actually serious here. Just your forum excerpts alone would keep me riveted! As a published author, I know a GREAT publisher ;) Just sayin!!

Oh yeah! I got your package in the mail today and all I can say is, Did I just win the lottery?? Way too generous! Thank you my friend!

Jay

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
r u seriously still thanking us?

Every one of us got a better deal than you did. We all owe you in my opinion.

I am so delighted at the outcome on your end. The world needs more Hairwings.

:thumbup:

hairwing530

Reaction score
Jay,

You've known me long enough to know that "where others merely succeed, I strive to exceed all expectations!" Besides, if I can't do good friends a "solid" whenever I build them a fly box, the crafting of the fly collection seems like a waste. Therein lies the reasons why an extra or two sometimes make it into my winged "care packages..."

For the first time in weeks, I'm going to call it quits at the bench tonight at a more humane hour than usual. Still, come first light, I'll be back into it and ankle deep in hair, feathers and random pieces of thread. So, if anyone still has a need for a box of flies, "Jerry's Hairwing530 Fly-Wrapping Station" ramps things up again in the morning...

Any takers? Just let me know, as I still have a few of "my kids" in need of a little something "special" in their lives...

Be well, my friends, and may you always know the weighted pull of a good fish. Then again, isn't every fish that takes a fly a "good fish??"

Jerry, aka hairwing530