The 2014 "Fly Box 80" Collections...

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Guys,

Mission accomplished regarding Ms Emily!! She and her family are set and in a good place for all things financial. And, with "Doc" and his wife accompanying them on the trip East, I know her health will be monitored as well.

With the trip proceeds now in the "finished" column, I can start channeling the future box sales back into "stuff" for the tying classes and "my kids." Jason, Mike, Matt and all who chose to get involved... I thank you from the bottom of my heart! Your actions all did proud the fly-fishing community as a whole, especially me. What you've done makes the late nights at the bench well worth the efforts. Kudos to you all...

And, for anyone still considering a box, I plan on tying for awhile yet, as I plan on helping a few more of "my kids" realize a dream or two, no matter its size or complexity. There is a great feeling to be had in helping those young ones who now endure the treatments and issues that I know too well...

My thanks again, guys...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Jerry: You are the man! Congrats on getting the funding in place for Ms Emily, that is just so great of a gesture on your part, you are indeed a hero.

I sent you a PM for your PayPal addy. I want to buy another box of 80 for a gift.

Larry

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
cochise...

Me? Force the issue? I'll take the Fifth on that one...

And, Larry, old friend... Since I've got some "additional" time on your gift box, please PM me with the recipient's preference in any "special" patterns. Even if they're not in my tying "wheelhouse," I'll put something together for him...

And, Jason? When your box arrives, my friend... be afraid!! Be very afraid!!! I'm building a few "unique" items for your collection, and that's all I'm going to say...

To everyone who's helped out by buying a box-- or two --or kicked in on these projects-- Ms Emily's trip, keeping "my kids" in feathers and the like --I thank you all, and wish you the true blessings of a life lived well. Your efforts and generosity will never be forgotten in this house!

May the Good Lord forever gift you all with clean rivers, tight lines and a multitude of friends with whom to share it these moments and places...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

Addendum... And, in answer to a couple of recent e-mails... Yes, I've still got a few more boxes available...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited:

8snake

Reaction score
Addendum... And, in answer to a couple of recent e-mails... Yes, I've still got a few more boxes available...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
If anyone is on the fence and misses out on this, you'll kick yourself. You can't buy a mediocre box of flies for the price Jerry is asking and I promise you his flies are a FAR cry from mediocrity.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If anyone is on the fence and misses out on this, you'll kick yourself. You can't buy a mediocre box of flies for the price Jerry is asking and I promise you his flies are a FAR cry from mediocrity.
Amen to that! The flies you receive in that 80 collection are all first rate flies tied superbly! I certainly can't tie dries like Jerry can.

Larry

labradorguy

Reaction score
You've got me wondering now Jerry! I can't stand waiting on a package when I know exactly what is being sent. With a teaser like the one above, I'll be pacing the floor. lol. :D

And to echo Larry and 8snake.... YES, these flies are totally awesome.

Why would a person buy Cabela's flies or Umpqua ones that are tied in some Asian country with all the profits going to a big corporation??? If you buy these flies from Jerry, your money is going straight to the children who need it. It does not get any better than that! I always give Jerry something extra because to be totally honest, he DOES NOT charge nearly enough for them. The boxes alone are going to set you back $15 at Cabela's.

You will not regret this purchase.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Got my box from Jerry yesterday in the mail... All I can say is wow! Truly a steal if I've ever seen one! Flies are at least on par with what you'd pay $3/per at your local fly shop... And his "kids" tie some mean flies as well... You've taught them well Jerry and thank you.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments about the ties, my friends. Much appreciated...

My philosophy on tying has always been a simple one-- "I tie each fly as if every single one of them was going into my own boxes." I don't skimp, I don't cut corners, and I don't send out flies with which I'm not satisfied. If a fly doesn't pass "muster" in my book, it doesn't find its way into fly boxes that I'm sending off to my long-distance "fishing buds."

And, as for the price? Sure, I could amp it up, but the pure "bottom line" isn't what drives me when building boxes. I've always loved tying, and wrapping hooks literally brought me back from the edge during my rehab after my first brain tumor. It helped me regain my motor skills, and the days of tying in the hospital became the catalyst for what would later become "my kids."

In addition to the above, I've long felt that when a man entrusts me with his hard-earned money, he's entitled to receive a first-rate product in return. Period! And, because of that approach, I've been blessed with generosity from many via multiple sales, and multiple friendships as well. Therein lies my own personal bottom line...

Now, excuse me for a few hours, my friends. "My kids" are just starting to arrive, and class kicks off in about 30 minutes...

Be well, wade safe and fish 'em hard... And, no, Jason... I still won't give you any hints...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited:

hairwing530

Reaction score
snakemau and rangerrich99,

The tying for your boxes is already underway... And, MikeR? Please advise on the status of the birthday date, so I can tie accordingly.

And, if anyone else is still in need, my fishing bud is dropping off another batch of those sweet boxes later this week. And, since I'm still making the feathers fly in every direction, please let me know if you want/need a boxful of flies.

Many thanks, my friends...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

jjaram

Reaction score
Jerry,

Just wanted to to confirm you received my order for those two additional boxes. Thanks, Joseph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hairwing530

Reaction score
Joseph,

Not only did I receive your order, my friend, but you might want to watch the mailbox over the next day or so... perhaps even today! Your "gift boxes" departed on Monday via USPS Priority Mail.

And, Matt? Check your "incoming" as well. You should see a pair of boxes ASAP, as they were in the same batch with Joseph's...

Guys, please let me know when they arrive, as even Priority Mail can be a concern...

Fish 'em well, and fish 'em hard, my friends...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Hi Hairwing530;

I'm curious, if I purchased a box of whatever your current offerings are, would you be willing to also sell at the same price a second batch of flies made up of those 'quality control rejects', better still made by your students, and I'd not even be wanting a second box (just toss them in an old cardboard jewelry box or some such) in that I have a number of fly boxes i want to fill?

To be frank I'd be much more interested in actually fishing that second batch, and it would help thin out that 'to not be sold' stock.....It would work for me, and hopefully for you. Naturally, I understand what they are and therefor it is no reflection upon the quality of your product.

B.E.F.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey grtlksmarlin,

I will make you this offer, my friend... Your first box, should you decide to go that route, would contain mostly my flies, along with 8-12 of the flies tied or to be tied by Ms Emily during one of our weekly sessions. That box would be delivered within the next week or so.

Box #2 would hit your doorstep before the traditional "Trout Opener" here in Michigan, and would be comprised of flies from the "Community Jar," an old-fashioned five-gallon cookie jar made of glass and a brass screw-top. I would pick from those when the classes come to an end next month and load up a batch to send your way. Some will be my own experiments gone astray, but most will be a mix of "the trials and errors," as they're called by "my kids."

One thing that I can tell you without reservation is this... I've used plenty of the flies that "my kids" have called "trials and errors" over the years, and I've taken some fine trout on almost every single one of them!!

As they say, my friend, the proverbial "ball" is in your court...

Thank you for the interest. When class with "my kids" commences on Saturday, my re-telling of your request will bring smiles all-around...

Tight lines always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Matt4.0

Reaction score
I received my boxes yesterday, and as several others have said, couldn't be happier. I'm certainly no expert, but from what I can tell these flies look every bit as well or better tied as any $2-$3 flies I've in the shops. Thanks again Jerry!

guest61

Reaction score
One thing that I can tell you without reservation is this... I've used plenty of the flies that "my kids" have called "trials and errors" over the years, and I've taken some fine trout on almost every single one of them!!
Naturally :) That's a classic quote Jerry!
BTW, Id LOVE to see a picture of said jar :)

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
As they say, my friend, the proverbial "ball" is in your court...
Sounds fine. I'll look into this paypal thing tomorrow and hope to have it worked out and an order placed there by afternoon. Please inform me by PM if there are any additional fees that need to be covered for the '2-orders'.

B.E.F.

p.s.: No rush on the delivery, simply when time permits.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Good Morning, B.E.F.,

The two orders would be at the price stated-- $45 per box, or $90. Any other $$$ that you might be inclined to put with the aforementioned $90 still would go to the same place-- "my kids" and the "stuff" needed to keep things going. Simple and straight to the point...

If you need any help with the Paypal side of things, feel free to let me know. My Paypal info and home e-mail address is:
jwarrington1 at copper dot net.

Look forward to hearing from you, B.E.F., and I thank you for taking an interest...

Tight lines to you...

Jerry, aka hairwing530