The 2014 "Fly Box 80" Collections...

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
Come tomorrow morning, Monday March 24, six "80+ Flies care packages" will head out to their new owners. The entire bunch should land at their respective homes by Thursday or Friday, as the lot is going via USPS Priority Mail.

Guys, my apologies for running a little behind my own tying schedule. Death came calling twice in recent days. Yesterday, I gave the eulogy at the funeral of one of "my kids" who passed away unexpectedly earlier this past week. Tomorrow afternoon, I again will eulogize someone else close to me-- a lifelong friend since junior high school and fishing companion of many years. His ashes will be spread across the property known as "Trail's End." For those of you who've read my posts in the Lodge Den section's "I Met Myself Last Night," you know the place of which I speak.

At any rate, my friends, thank you for bearing with me. I try to tie up and turn the boxes around at a good rate. Lately, it's been impossible to even find the time or energy to get things done. Today, I played "catch-up," so to speak...

When the boxes arrive, please let me know that they made it safely. It will be one last thing for me to worry about...

Tight lines always, my friends...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

L

Liphookedau

Hi Jerry I can imagine how busy you really have been.
I wasn't in any real hurry for them as our season is just about Finished even though there are still plenty of Bugs around as The Cooler Weather is just about here & thankfully our Winters are Mild compared to yours.

Because there is a large Volume of Water being used to supply a Local Power Station The Pumps are Flat out trying to keep The level up & subsequently the Fish are all around The Inlet which is unfishable,getting all The Inflow of Nutrients & subsequently aren't moving about to Feed as they normally would.
Also The Nights have been Cool for this time of The Year & The Dragon Fly Nymphs also haven't been around in The Numbers as they usually are.
Cheers.
Brian

hairwing530

Reaction score
Brian,

Your "fly care package" is almost finished, and I intend to put the last hooks in the vise and wrap them later today. In all of my years teaching the classes with "my kids," I've seen more than my share of losses, including two of my own daughters at far too young an age. I've witnessed the passing of friends well before their time as well, and it never gets any easier to handle-- that which is known as "death." It robs us all of far too many future moments with those lost, leaving us only with memories...

Enough of that... I'll have your box enroute later this week, my friend. Be well, mate, and when the next fishing season hits, all I can say is "fish 'em hard and fish 'em frequently!!"

Tight lines always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

snakemau

Reaction score
Hello Jerry,

Sorry for your loss, friends are a precious gem, so take care of your situations first man, the boxes can wait. Be there for those who need you, you got our support here (or at least mine, but I'm sure others as well), so no rush sending those boxes out.
Take care

Snakemau

hairwing530

Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for your understanding and support. Just over an hour ago, after rambling on about our collective "mis-adventures" over the years to a group of family and friends gathered around the fire pit at "Trail's End," I finished my rhetoric and made my way to the old orchard section of the property. In my hands was the urn carrying the ashes of my late friend, and as requested by both he and his wife, there was one last act of friendship to carry out.

Once there, I paused to remember the last ruffed grouse that fell to one of Nate's upland "hand-loads," and the rock-solid point by his aging English setter that had proceeded it. The memory acknowledged, the top of the urn was removed and Nate's ashes were scattered to the winds, his wish to forever reside amidst the random hilltops of "Trail's End" at last fulfilled and made final by my actions.

And, somewhere, I like to think that the late Montgomery Jackson and Nate are smiling about the fact that I'm not as nimble as I once was when plowing through drifts of snow...

To friends and family who'll never truly be "lost," I raise a wee dram of the good stuff at this hour, especially the two mentioned above...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

One final note... The six "care packages" did make the morning mail...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score
Just as a heads-up about yesterday's shipments, the following should be watching for "care packages" over the next couple of days...

labguy-- your's includes a pair of things for "the boys," and yes, you all have to share...

Cochise-- #2 is nearing your place, even as I write this...

Larry M.-- b-day gift for that special someone also will land shortly...

Andrew R.-- your package draws ever closer by the hour...

Shannon-- your box should be arriving within a day or so...

George C.-- watch your mailbox, my friend...

I hope to have another group going out by the end of the week. With the back-to-back eulogies/funerals, my head still is trying to wrap itself around everything and I'm busy attempting to clear the tying cob-webs left by the losses...

Guys, let me know when your packages arrive, if you wouldn't mind...

Tight lines to you all... always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

kcheek

Reaction score
Jerry,

Just sent payment for one box via PayPal. Looking forward to enjoying what everyone else is getting!

Thanks,
Kevin

CaptKirk

Reaction score
Jerry,

I got my care package in the mail today. They look wonderful. I can't wait to try them out. Thanks so much for what you do with your kids. You all are in my prayers.

Shannon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

andrew_rigsby

Reaction score
I checked the mailbox every thirty minutes yesterday waiting for this box to come in. When they finally arrived I couldnt believe it. They are beautiful, so many different patterns and some "surprise patterns" too. Jerry, you really out did yourself! I am taking them out on the river this weekend and I know they will before with striking beauty and grace. Ill let you guys know how many big ones I land too!

labradorguy

Reaction score
Hey Jerry. The flies came and they look great. The boys were thrilled to open them up. Once again, I find myself the odd man out when the flies are divided...lol. It seems that I am now the proud owner of the "tied in Sri Lanka" flies that were populating their boxes a couple weeks ago... :) They were curious as to if there were any flies in the box that Emily had tied.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey Jason,

The "wheels" for the boys each carried one section containing nothing but flies tied by Emily and me during one of our recent sessions together-- her, the Light Cahills that she favors, and me, my parachute Adams. She and two of "my kids" also pitched in on the "bass/panfish/whatever" flies that completed the wheels. You'll have to negotiate custody of some of those flies with the boys.

Your box as well should carry a row of Ms Emily's stuff-- both Light and Dark Cahills. Also scattered among the mix with my own are a few of my late daughter Laramie's flies. They weren't pointed out for one simple reason-- so that they all will see some hours on the water, and not be relegated to a place among those flies that never get the chance to do their intended job-- take a few trout. I still have some of both for inclusion in upcoming boxes...

And, for many of you who've purchased boxes before, or may again in the future, please know that within each box resides some of Ms Emily's work, as well as a few of Laramie's flies. I like to think that their inclusions make the boxes a bit more special than just a standard grouping of flies...

Enjoy the boxes, Jason, and keep an eye out for yet another package to be headed your way soon...

Tight lines always, everyone...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

labradorguy

Reaction score
I don't know what to say Jerry. I'm honored. Every fly in those boxes will hit the water this year. That much I can say. Thank you Sir. :)

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey Casey36,

As promised, the box is away and headed to your doorstep via USPS Priority Mail. You should have the flies by Tuesday, at the latest.

Four other boxes went out as well. Guys, watch your mailboxes...

More will ship, come the middle of the week ahead...

Tight lines always, everyone...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

snakemau

Reaction score
Hey Jerry let me know when my box is in the way, I need to be sure I post a guard on my mailbox so no one steals them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hairwing530

Reaction score
snakmau,

If you happen to know anyone on a road called "Sulky" something, you might want to call in that guard. If memory serves-- and mine often doesn't --you might find a little something in the mailbox early this week.

And, on a separate issue, I now give you my "disappointment rant" of the morning... During the course of tying and making up these boxes, I've met a wealth of truly great people. Every angler has brought to the proverbial table his own share of the "3 C's"-- Caring, Compassion and Commitment --in his efforts to pick up some flies and help out a group of very special kids. That is, except one guy (and I'm refraining from giving him a more descriptive and appropriate name...)

I've always operated on trust during my life-- trust in people, trust in a better tomorrow, and trust that my next cast will be the one! When someone has told me that he wanted to help and wants to give with his heart-- 2 of the 3 H's for a good life --I've honored (H #3) his request and set about completing it, trusting that he would honor his end of the bargain. Apparently, not everyone lives by the same set of rules...

A visitor to our ranks on this forum-- I've checked and he's not a member --ordered five boxes of flies from me, some with "custom" ties contained therein, and with the assurances of payment upon completion. And, as is my way, I took him at his word.

In the interest of brevity, I recently notified him of the finished tying and getting ready to pack the boxes, only to be told that he wasn't interested any longer, nor was he going to be paying for the work! No reason given, no explanation, nothing!!!!!

Now, I'm a big boy, and I've been on the wrong end of a poor deal before. But, what kind of supposed "angler" puts the screws to a guy who spends his time tying and teaching said skills to a very special group of kids, and then sleeps well at night? I can think of only one...

So ends my sermonette for this morning, but not my own belief in my fellow fly-wranglers. I pray that the Man Upstairs forever blesses each of you with nothing but open casting lanes, easy wading, and tight lines always...

So sayeth Jerry, the hairwing530 on this Sunday morn...

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
......But, what kind of supposed "angler" puts the screws to a guy who spends his time tying and teaching said skills to a very special group of kids, and then sleeps well at night? I can think of only one......
Well, though I hope you can utilize that work for other orders (feel free to do so toward my order even utilizing the oddities), and genuinely understand your very reasonable...disappointment...I feel pretty bad for this guy.

You and your kids can live with yourselves, know you did the right thing (even by trusting him in that it shows the mark of your faith in humanity and views of how to live life well), and can take pride in your continued accomplishments and good will toward others.

In contrast, this guy will never get to use the flies you all make. He'll never have opportunity to try more in the future. He'll have to live with his deception forever. He'll always know how much less his word really means compared to others, and how much less of a man that makes him......Even if he can openly live with all that (inwardly debatable in that really only very, very few have no conscience), he still has what comes after no matter what that may be to face.

......and I don't know about you, yet I know I don't want to look up at the face of God with all those I've wronged sitting at his feet and have him say "I'm so very, very disappointed in you. You hurt me deeply."

Poor guy....hope he can turn his life around.

B.E.F.