"The 2020 Miracle XL+"

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
As it was in 2018 and 2019, the "Miracle XL+" fly box will continue to be the mainstay box in 2020, along with the "Miracle 100+" box and the "Streamers 2020" box. The "Miracle XL+" box will continue to boast fly counts in excess of 130+ "bugs" overall-- dries, nymphs, emergers, cripples, etc. As you look at the photos, please remember that the boxes merely are templates, so to speak. So, please feel free to customize at will.

And, my plan remains doing what I did last year-- keep the price at $100. However, I wouldn't be adverse to a little help with the shipping, as the prices on USPS Priority Mail have risen quite a bit over the last couple of years. Not to worry, though. I'll make up for any added funds with more "bonus bugs."

And, my mission statement remains the same, in that most of the $$$ from my tying will continue to go back into the Fall/Winter Saturday tying classes with "my kids"-- kids battling/surviving cancer, just like me. I'm coming up on 23 years in my ongoing fight with the disease, and we're now halfway through our 21st year of the tying classes with this year's group of "my kids." The classes-- vises, tools, materials, et al --remain completely free of charge, thanks in no small part to the kindness and generosity of the guys who buy their flies from me. And, so long as I still can tie, I intend to keep the classes free! They've been my way of giving back and paying it forward, and since the loss of my youngest daughter to leukemia in 2010, the classes also have become a way for me to honor her memory. Laramie was only 15 years old when she passed away, and I don't wish the pain of loss on any parent or family member...

As always, Paypal works best for me, as the nearest bank branch is a 30-mile haul. If you want/need it, my Paypal information remains:
[email protected]
That's also my e-mail here at the cabin, should you want to talk to me directly.

Guys and gals, thank you all for our dealings in the past. I look forward to tying up more boxes in the months to come. And, most of all, I'm grateful for the support that you've all shown "my kids" and me over the years...

Safe wades, my friends... safe wades...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

DSCF3503A.jpg

DSCF3517A.jpg

Last edited:

comeonavs

Reaction score
re: "The Miracle XL+ 2017"

looks like a heck of a deal to me. Honestly I dont know

1) How you find the time to tie so many so consistently

2) Sell them for this price

I tie my fair amount but no where near what you crank out , for a great cause by the way.

cletus

Reaction score

I have purchased one of the "old" Miracle boxes from Jerry and have another one on the way. For those of you who aren't acquainted with Jerry's work, his flies are superb and he's even a better guy

scotty macfly

Reaction score

It's still a deal of a lifetime no matter how one looks at it. All those flies, a box included, I won't complain. And to help the kids do something they really enjoy, well, you got me at the word "kids".

Great idea Jerry!

hairwing530

Reaction score

Good Morning, guys. Some thoughts on this frigid Friday morning...

comeonavs... I tie as much as I do for two reasons-- my love of a good fly, and for "my kids." I've been on both sides of the table, so to speak-- cancer survivor, and the father of a child lost to cancer nearly 7 years ago. As I recovered from my first brain tumor, I decided then and there to do whatever I could to help kids battling/surviving cancer, just as I was. After all, during my recovery/physical rehab, many of the kids from the Children's Cancer Wing became daily visitors to my room, just to watch me tie as a means of helping me to recover my hand-to-eye coordination. It was a "game-changer" for me and mine, and "my kids" took on an even greater importance to yours truly when my youngest daughter left us in 2010, after losing her battle with leukemia. She was only 15 at the time, but she always kept a fly vise close until her passing.

So, it is for her and all of "my kids" that I'm willing to spend my days at the vise, and to salt those hours with as many well-tied flies as possible. Because, in the end, without the support of my "fishing cronies" near and far-- aka many of the guys here on the forum --I wouldn't be in my 18th year of doing the free annual tying classes with "my kids." And, that, my friends, is priceless, indeed...

And, cletus? If I can get your "cheat sheet" done this morning, my plan is to ship your box later today, tomorrow at the latest. Many thanks, Eric...

scotty mac? May you always be blessed with the best of it all, my friend...

As for me? I've got "chicken" to be wrapped, and bugs to be made. May you all know safe wades whenever you're astream...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score

Guys,

Just a quick note... I've updated/upgraded the photos of the new "Miracle XL+" fly box. Thought you'd want to know.

With the woodstove calling and class with "my kids" soon to start later today, I've got a few more flies to finish up this AM. Have a great Saturday, my friends, and if you're lucky enough to be on the water, tighten a line for yours truly...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score

The first of the "Miracle XL+" boxes are away, with a few more to follow over the next couple of days. Let me know when the boxes hit your doorsteps, guys, and your thoughts on the selection.

Many thanks to you all...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

cletus

Reaction score

Jerry,

I just received my Adams Family box and extras in the mail yesterday. Wow! As usual, you've outdone yourself. Their almost too nice to fish....but I will. Thank you my friend!

Eric

hairwing530

Reaction score

Eric,

You're quite welcome! I had a good time tying up another "Adams Family" box, one similar to scotty mac's collection. And, with an unexpected storm still dumping snow outside, you'll no doubt find me splitting time between my woodstove chores and the vise-- less on the former, and more on the latter. I love the oak and tinder warmth of a good fire, but not nearly as much as I enjoy watching a growing pile of finished "bugs..."

Get 'em wet and fish 'em hard, my friend. You know where more can be found whenever you need a refill. Thanks again, Eric, for thinking of "my kids" and me...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score

Four packages head out with today's mail, with another four slated for departure on Tuesday morning. May the flies/boxes all bring with them that for which they were named-- miracles of the extra-large variety, during every hour spent on the water...

Have a good Saturday, guys, and thanks again...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score

I must admit to my predictions of 1/14/2017 being a bit off. Instead of four more packages exiting the building today, a more accurate and updated box count shows a total of 5, with another smaller package as well. Enjoy the "bugs," guys, and my heartfelt thanks to you all...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score

The boxes officially are away, thanks to putting ice-skates on the ol' "Fish Truck." The ice storm has turned the 1.3 mile drive to the mailbox into a snowbank/bumper truck marathon that even had my nerves on edge. At any rate, they're away and enroute, guys. Please let me know when you get them, and your thoughts on the fly boxes/surprise inclusions.

My thanks to you all for thinking of "my kids" and me. I'm heading back to the vise...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

zjory

Reaction score

Great box and cause. Just picked up a new custom rod, but I'll be reaching out in February for a Colorado trout box.

thompson26

Reaction score

I received my miracle XL box and I am beyond amazed Jerry did a great job with all the flies he sent and it was on time matter fact it was early couldn't be any happier very talented he is very talented that's for sure and a very nice guy I will always do business with Jerry!!! Can't wait to hit the river with my tackle!!!

graham63123

Reaction score

Received my miracle XL box from Jerry today as well. The quality and quantity is amazing! Going to have to order a couple more as gifts. Great cause...great flies...from a great guy!! Thanks Jerry...can't wait to hit the water with them.

hairwing530

Reaction score

thompson26 and graham63123,

Thank you both for your kind words, and for letting me know that your packages have arrived. I do my level best to make sure that my fly-wrangling "cronies" always receive more instead of less.

Wade safe and fish those "bugs" hard, and let me know when you're in need of a "refill." And, thanks again for thinking of "my kids" and me...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score

With four packages ready-- and the odds of finishing off #5 resting heavily in favor of the final ties --another batch hits the USPS Priority Mail service tomorrow morning. When you get 'em, guys, let me know your thoughts.

And, to you all, my heartfelt thanks for thinking of "my kids" and me. Have a great weekend, everybody...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

hairwing530

Reaction score

Come tomorrow morning, the shipping leash comes off a pair of "combo" boxes, two book boxes, and a more specialized "package" of sorts. And, if all goes according to plan, a few more boxes should find their way into the USPS Priority Mail system in the coming week.

Many thanks, my friends, for getting in your orders early, and for always thinking of "my kids" and me. You're all fly-wrangling "rock stars" in my book...

My best to you...

Jerry, aka hairwing530