The 600+ Hooks 2014 Box

montanacur

Reaction score
Hi jerry. Was curious if you still have hook boxes available? They look pretty darn good.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
montanacur,

I sure do. And, as always, if you need a little "customization" to better fit your needs, all you need do is ask.

Say the word, my friend, drop some $$$ into the Paypal listed, and I'll start on your hook box tomorrow. And, welcome aboard!! You've just made your first post on one of the best fly-fishing forums on the planet!

Let me know...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

montanacur

Reaction score
Sounds good! Thanks Jerry. Will touch base with you tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

hairwing530

Reaction score
montanacur,

Looking forward to it. And, don't be alarmed if your hook counts exceed the usual numbers, or if you find a "surprise" or two included with the package. After all, with "The Speaker of the House" on the mend, my annual "Santa" aspirations are kicking in a little earlier than most years...

No doubt, we'll be talking...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

ten_fiver

Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

Just checking to see if you have enough for another box after montanacur gets his hands on one. Thanks!

hairwing530

Reaction score
ten_fiver...

I've got you covered, if you want one. Just say the word, drop a few coins into the ol' Paypal account, and I'll have a box loaded and on its way to you ASAP!

And, if you have any "special" requests, feel free to drop me an e-mail at home or a PM here on the forum. I'm forever working to make the hook collections fit the tier, and not the other way around. Besides, "standardized" can numb the mind when one is counting out over 675 to 750 hooks. And, I've got precious few brain cells to spare these days...

Let me know, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

eastfly66

Reaction score
Hi jerry. Was curious if you still have hook boxes available? They look pretty darn good.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
They are very good and I gave Jerry a vague description of what I wanted to tie and he sent me a perfect custom hook selection !

Like I said in another posting , "when I need advise/help I default to someone that has more gray hair than I do " .....works like a charm ! :)

hairwing530

Reaction score
eastfly66,

I'll take that "gray hair" and wear it proudly! I've earned every single one of them, having been through the "dating lives" of our daughters!!

Besides, after 17+ years of battling the cancer between my ears, I consider myself lucky to still have hair-- gray, dark or in-between...

Yours in aging spirit(s)...

Jerry, aka hairwing530, the gray...

hairwing530

Reaction score
eastfly66,

The way I see it, my friend, aging, graying and still vertical beats taking the horizontal "dirt nap, as "Doc" once called it, 16 ways to Sunday. Then again, I've also been told by the aforementioned "Doc" and a few "cronies" that the reasons behind my continued longevity in battling cancer are that "Heaven doesn't want you yet, and Hell is afraid that you'll take over!"

Little ol' me? I may have wandered a little too close to the edge a time or two, but I've tried to behave for the most part... No, really... I did!

All kidding aside, Paul, don't be surprised if a "package" shows up on your doorstep in the coming weeks...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

montanacur

Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

Got the hooks you sent me! They look great, really appreciate it. Was wondering about one compartment though. It says Size 15 nymph hooks, and they are really really heavy wire. What are the specs on those?

Jarod

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey Jarod,

I included the Size #15 Mustads for nymphs as a "bonus" bunch. I use some of these old classics because of their heavy wire. On some patterns, they make it unnecessary to add additional weight. On others, only a minimal amount of added weight is called for...

The sizing is indicative of an earlier time and sizing status in the hook industry, one that's experiencing something of a comeback among a few manufacturers. That said, my biggest reason for going with those vintage Mustad hooks has to do with the size of the eye. Even on the smaller #17 or #19 Mustad hooks, the larger eye makes them very easy to tie on, no matter the light conditions.

Give them a try and let me know what you think. And, thanks for letting me know that they arrived safely...

Wrap one for me, Jarod...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

ten_fiver

Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

I just got home from traveling, and my wife had the hook box waiting for me. Those hooks will set me up nicely for the tying season; especially the smaller stuff which I always seem to be out of. I was actually curious about the nymph hooks Jarod mentioned above, so your information was helpful. I can't wait to wrap a few! Thanks again!

-Steve

hairwing530

Reaction score
In another rare "executive decision" on my part, I'm officially renaming the boxes "The 700+ Hooks 2015" box. Nope... no price change or anything. It's just my way of sharing the wealth, so to speak, as the opening of another cardboard box carried with it the discovery of even more hooks than I realized...

So, Happy New Year's, even if it is a few days early...

Wrap 'em well and fish 'em hard, my friends...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

flytieguy

Reaction score
The hooks arrived today. I can't wait to get started tying some flies. Thank you sir.

The special scud and nymph hooks are going to be interesting to tie. I've never tied a size 20. I accept the challenge :)

aznymph

Reaction score
Hello Jerry! I bought me a Renzetti Presentation 4000 and am ready to start learning how to tie some flies hehe. Are you still selling hooks? I should be ready to go with my tools and such within a month or so.

BTW I am going to put your streamers in the water soon out here in Utah :)

Jeff

hairwing530

Reaction score
Jeff,

I'll be pulling the hooks out of their storage area-- spelled "bottom of Cabinet A" --over the next week or two, in preparation for the classes with "my kids" and to send off a few hook collections. Just let me know what you need, and I'll get you set up. The price may end up being another $5.00 more, or $50 delivered, if my box supplier pulls the same thing as he did on the boxes for my flies, but time will tell. Either way, I'll get you taken care of...

As for your streamers? I'm looking forward to your fishing report. Wade safe, Jeff, and savor every hour astream...

Jerry, aka hairwing530