The ads on this site

Acheron

Reaction score
SUCK!!!!!!!! And make this forum almost unusable for more than 5 minutes on a tablet.

It has gotten to the pont the every 3rd page or so I now get an entire page ad pimping pills, aka drugs. There is no way to close the ad. I cannot scroll from it. Hitting the back button takes me back to the previous page, not the page I had clciked.

The ads on the side constantly flash and change sizes making the screen jump around WHILE I AM TYPING RESPONSES!

It has become painful. Anyone else notice?

At least right now it's an ad for donuts :D

myt1

Reaction score
I think the ads on this website think I'm a woman.

I keep getting pop-ups for women's underwear...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Adblocker comes with its own set of problems...the computer runs slower, and some websites won't even allow you to enter if it detects you are running adblocker.

duker

Reaction score
There have been many threads about the ads on this site. One thing it's important to remember is that those ads help pay for the forum.

As others have pointed out, there are options out there if you want to block ads. You may also be able to change the settings on your tablet--block pop-ups and certain sites, e.g.

Scott

JoJer

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed having the ad blocker work (and posted so here) but I clicked on FREE ad blocker. When they started asking for money and their prompts blocked my screen buttons I decided to try another. They are now uninstalled and I'll find another.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Everything is about money and that's a fact. If they keep the forum going, I'm OK with them.

The biggest issue that I have is ads that pop up when I'm trying to view something, like my notifications on the site, since they cover them up. Very annoying and I have to wait on the ad to close.

That's really a small issue, but an annoying one. :(

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I get it on my phone
It's more than just an ad. It's like a virus

Lately it's one like this. Full page. Won't go away.

Acheron

Reaction score
RipTide, this is what has started happening to me as well. Full page and won't go away. That is where I draw the line. Next thing this site will be secretly installing things and/or be labeled spam. I would never open this site on my phone and it looks like I will stop opening it on my tablet as well.

Not that I, or anyone else, really cares or will be impacted right? I'm only one, right? Good luck with that (to the forum)! :)

I cannot even read the sponsor's name (which defeats the purpose) because it is overlayed on top of my username/profile link. This means I also cannot see the "Notifications" or if I have new messages (I never do, so it's not a big deal). On my laptop this is still an issue so it's likely happening to everyone using Chrome. If I were the sponsor I'd be ticked off.

Let's be clear, it's not that the site has ads that is the issue. Good for them that they can pay the bills with ads. The problem is they are intrusive, constantly changing sizes and causing the screen to jump around, and now they are covering the entire screen with no way out. Ads are all good until it creates an unusable experience.

When you are already losing membership/posts these little things will drive the remaining people away eventually. We will be told there are more ads as more people leave to make up for less views and click throughs. Then it gets worse from there.

Outside of people at work no one uses laptops anymore which means a large number of users, also known as anyone using modern devices, are experiencing this.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
FYI.

My son has two undergraduate degrees, a BS in mechanical engineering and then a BFA in industrial design. He designs the web pages for a tech company. He designs the look and function, and the developers code them.

From what he tells me there is a way to detect whether the request is from a computer, a tablet or a phone and he designs the pages differently for each device for the unique capabilities and limitations of each device.

I realize that this web site does not have the resources to auto detect the device and then push the correct page version. I suspect is the default off the shelf version.

Commercial web pages and pages like Google of course are optimized.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I think the ads on this website think I'm a woman.

I keep getting pop-ups for women's underwear...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Adblocker comes with its own set of problems...the computer runs slower, and some websites won't even allow you to enter if it detects you are running adblocker.
I put a search in for a Hardy DD spool on Ebay and now I get bra ads!!!! my wife is gonna think somethings up LOL