The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

How did you break your rod? Multiple Choice Poll;

• Careless; rod was transported improperly; rod stepped on by man / dog, jammed tip into ground etc

Votes: 194 48.3%
  • Improper use; pulling too hard on snag, had hand up the shaft while fighting fish etc

Votes: 91 22.6%
  • Accidental: hit the tip with fly or weight while casting.

Votes: 60 14.9%
  • I have no idea what happened, one day while fishing the rod broke in two while casting

Votes: 86 21.4%
  • Other: to be explained in a post

Votes: 63 15.7%
  • All of the above!

Votes: 20 5.0%

• Total voters

trev

Reaction score
My story is kinda like philly's in that I'm not sure how many, except I went though more than three or four, there were several slammed in car doors or trunk lids fell shut or the screen door got and a couple went in the water never to be seen again, kids broke a couple of mine and two of theirs when we camped, I fell on two and had one graphite break while casting on two occasions and another that snapped as I was lifting a line to cast. Way back in the '70s two different early glass to glass rods split at the ferrule due to me not waxing them and more particularly not watching them as I was hard roll casting.

Some got repaired, some got repurposed, some reel seats and guides from the '80s are still in a bucket waiting for a purpose. The 9' 5wt 2pc Clearwater rod was broken four times I think, possibly five, and is now a 6'10'' 1 piece that will still work with a 5wt line but is hard to transport, and it always was better as a 7wt. One day it will likely get cut and a spigot, just so it will store better.

Looking back I don't regret breaking any one of them. I bought or built them all to use and I used them hard and often. Every one of them provided more fun than I could bought for the same money spent on anything else.
If I was young again and had that much energy I'd likely break another few rods.

If I owned a rod I was afraid of breaking I would have to sell it or give it away. I could never get pleasure from such a thing. It would keep me awake at night and irritate me to see it.

One thing I have never seen is a fly rod (or any fishing rod) that broke because of a defect in manufacturing. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but I have seen a bunch of rods broken and not one that I could blame on a defect. One of my son in laws used to fish the lake a lot and probably broke fifty spinning rods all by improper use, hand on the rod while fighting fish or setting the hook on a log or lifting fish by rod tip, I saw him pull the boat over to the log he was hung up on by reeling with the rod bent, remarkably the UL didn't break that time.

Last edited:

dr d

Reaction score
hi,

ca 15 years ago a slitshot (from guide) damaged my dan craft gxt - tip>>was changed and i never

used splits o.s.o.

thomas

proheli

Reaction score
The radio button took my selection just fine, then I pushed the “vote” button. (or what ever it was called). Then it takes you to you to the next page to see the entire poll. Since I didn’t see what the results were before, I can’t say whether or not it added my vote.

Last edited:

labradorguy

Reaction score
RIP Sage ONE 4116 5/26/20

Broke it right in two yesterday. Sounded like a .22 going off. I even scared to flock of ducks when it snapped. I was letting a double spey rip when it happened. There was a squall line coming through and a lot of overhanging brush to contend with, so my cast was a bit of a side arm affair. I was keeping the tip out of the brush and also trying to keep the line under the wind. I know I was putting a little extra torque on the rod but it was nothing I haven’t done a million times and nothing it shouldn’t have handled. My two hand lines are all on the lighter end of the grain window and I generally don’t have any weight on the streamer. Weird, but that’s a Sage ONE for you. Not the toughest of rods....

The day wasn’t lost though. I had a sage 3110 HD on hand. It was rigged with a RIO SHS line and an intermediate versi. It’s just a beautiful soft hackle set up but it was not quite up to gale wind I had to cast into, so I jogged up to the truck and came back down with a Sage X 5120. The first cast launched a Dali Llama straight into the wind and halfway through the swing a fat 22 inch bow smacked it. So all is well that ends well. That X 5120 is an amazing rod, but GOD is it heavy. I can’t believe just a few years ago I was regularly trout fishing with a 6 weight switch rod!!! I was even known to use a 7126 Method on the WhIte River. I know the lighter weight options were limited then, but geez.... what was I thinking???

I guess the worst part of all this is that the Sage warranty center has shut down until this whole Covid thing blows over!

JoJer

Reaction score
Ard, I can't find where to click. I rolled the cursor over all of the poll areas, also tried clicking on numbers, graph, to no effect. I seem to recall I voted and posted when the poll was new. Unfortunately, I have new data.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I already voted a long time ago so the poll results show up. The catagory I voted for is in bold letters and a check mark next to it. I'm glad it knows what I voted for because I wasn't sure.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Well alright then the poll still works but I think I'll make a new one and close this one. Reason being that some who already voted have yet again busted another and we can't collect their data.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Well, I just broke a rod for the first time with a car door. The good news is that it was the cheapest rod I own, a Cabela's Prime one piece 6 foot 3-wt that I think I paid $40 for on sale. The bad news is I really liked that rod, and they don't seem to carry it anymore.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I was fishing in Resurrection Bay just outside of Seward last year and got a snag tried getting it loose and it broke into 3 pieces. I didn't have my hand up on the rod at all. Not real sure what happened but all of a sudden it made a loud crack and the section just uop from the grip broke. One piece is still in the bottom of Resurrection bay that was about 6". Sent the rod off to Sage and they fixed it for me.

bear99

Reaction score
I broke the tips off two rods. One occurred when with my fingers I was trying to clean ice off the end. Rod tip was near the end of my reach so I had to bend the tip a bit in order to clean it and it broke about 10" from the end. The other tip broke at the start of a day as I was simply pulling line straight out the end, tip not flexed at all. It broke about 6-8" from the end. I can only guess that the loop/loop connection caught a bit while traveling through one of the last guides to supply the force needed to pull the end off at a point where the rod had already been cracked due to some unknown cause.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
You guys all know I can't just start clicking 'Like' on these posts don't you? I do however really appreciate your sharing the data and your stories.

Thank you all,

Ard

JoJer

Reaction score
Years ago I broke 6" off the tip of my TFO Pro series 9' 6wt. . I didn't know I did it 'til the next time I pulled the rod out of the caddy. I never found the tip. I may have done it walking back to the truck. Who knows? I broke that rod just before I was going to fish it for the first time. Stepped over it stepping out of the boat and my saggy waders caught it.