The Demise of American Angler Magazine

el jefe

Reaction score
I was disappointed to receive my latest copy of American Angler magazine today, with a letter on a cover jacket stating that this would be my last issue. I thought maybe I hadn't renewed my subscription, but magazines keep sending you issues long after you quit sending them money. Then I read the cover jacket, and they said that they are discontinuing publication of the print and online editions of the magazine. A reason is not given.

Of the general fly fishing publications, American Angler was by far my favorite. I am disappointed to see it go. I thought its articles and information were more interesting than the other magazines, and it seemed targeted toward a more thoughtful audience, the antithesis of the lowest common denominator approach. I will miss it showing up in my mailbox.

Last edited:

Tippetsnap

Reaction score
I haven’t received that issue in the mail yet. This news makes me sad. I enjoyed and looked forward to each edition.

Redbrook

Reaction score
I haven't received that issue either but am saddened by this information. I agree that American Angler was one of the better magazine out there with better content and less filler.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I haven't received that issue either but am saddened by this information. I agree that American Angler was one of the better magazine out there with better content and less filler.
Maybe "less filler" was the reason they are discontinued. I will miss that magazine. Every time I picked up one of the other magazines there is always an article on one of the more popular rivers. How many articles on the Bighorn can one read. Not so with AA.

duker

Reaction score
El jefe, which issue of AA was that? I've got the May/June issue and didn't see anything about them discontinuing. I bought it in a store, so maybe they only included that notice for subscribers?

I agree with you that it will be missed. Even though I'm a Canadian angler, I always looked forward to the next issue of American Angler.

Scott

el jefe

Reaction score
El jefe, which issue of AA was that? I've got the May/June issue and didn't see anything about them discontinuing. I bought it in a store, so maybe they only included that notice for subscribers?

I agree with you that it will be missed. Even though I'm a Canadian angler, I always looked forward to the next issue of American Angler.

Scott
Hey, Scott.

It is the July/August 2020 issue. And the cover letter was addressed to "American Angler subscriber," so that cover is probably just on those sent by mail.

Jeff

MCHammer

Reaction score
I was also disappointed to read the letter on what will be my last issue. As a consolation prize, I apparently will get "Fly Tyer" for the rest of my subscription. I've never read it, but if Scott Sanchez and Dave Hughes are regulars there, like they were in AA, I may continue to subscribe. I think I've spent more time tying than fishing this past year or more.

duker

Reaction score
I was also disappointed to read the letter on what will be my last issue. As a consolation prize, I apparently will get "Fly Tyer" for the rest of my subscription. I've never read it, but if Scott Sanchez and Dave Hughes are regulars there, like they were in AA, I may continue to subscribe. I think I've spent more time tying than fishing this past year or more.
Fly Tyer is a pretty good magazine--I buy it regularly, and there's always an article or three in every issue worth reading.

Scott

JoJer

Reaction score
Like most, I've subscribed to a variety of outdoors magazines over the years. Some (like Field and Stream) I take for a year or two then quit for a while. Same sort of issue-how many white tail deer hunting articles can I read? Especially how many articles about game I don't pursue can I ignore? After a while, it's hard to find a new take on any particular facet of fly fishing. Fly tier is a good example: I check the back cover for the feature flies, if I don't see something I'm interested in, back on the rack it goes. More and more, I'm buying outdoors mags for the stories not the "tech".

deceiverbob

Reaction score
This happened to me a few years ago with Fly Fishing Salt Waters, only instead of another fly fishing magazine they finished my remaining issues with Saltwater Sportsman. I had already decided not to renew. As was said above, It was always some variation of bonefish/tarpon/permit, and northeast stripers.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Fly Tyer is the only subscription I get. In the past I used to get American Angler and I enjoyed it very much. It seemed more down to earth when it came to fly fishing and not so repetitive. I don't like that it's gone away, but I'll see if I can at least buy their last issue.

jrp11948

Reaction score
Since printed material is on the wane, I've found so much material on the Internet that I can't read not all. MidCurrent, the The Itinerant Angler, Trout Bitten are just some that have good articles and videos.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Yes, there is a virtual infinite amount of fly fishing info on the internet, but it can take a lot of time to sort through it and it often makes it too easy for me to lose focus, get way off track and redirected to other topics. Thus I end up spending way more time glued to a computer screen than I want to.

And I don't want to have to deal with a laptop in the bathroom:). A magazine is the perfect format for that --even if it is just another variation of a repetitive theme.
As others have said, info in magazines (and on the internet) is repetitive with little that's new, but I also like looking at the reels used in the pics accompanying articles, especially if they are cool old vintage classics like Hardys, Orvis, etc., for what that's worth. Basically it's just entertainment.
But for the publishers, that alone probably doesn't justify the expense of publishing a magazine.

JoJer

Reaction score
The bathroom is a whole 'nother thing. For that I want Auto-Buy. And it stays 'til it's been studied in depth. I just passed on the Dec 2019 ed. and I've started March'20. April is waiting behind it.