The Double Haul

Northcountryman

Reaction score
For me, the 2nd part of double hauling, known as the forward haul, is more difficult to execute than the back haul--that is, and do it properly, at least. Side arm is easier , but I'd like to work on my vertical double haul this season while, in particular, improving that forward haul!!

LOC

Reaction score
For me, the 2nd part of double hauling, known as the forward haul, is more difficult to execute than the back haul--that is, and do it properly, at least. Side arm is easier , but I'd like to work on my vertical double haul this season while, in particular, improving that forward haul!!
Good stuff on wanting to constantly improve. I think a lot of folks did not anticipate on how much fly fishing is about practice.
Sometimes I think the double haul should be treated like a kid when they fall down. Don’t make a big fuss, just accept it as normal part of fly casting. It won’t be as revered and intimidating this way and everyone will just accept it as standard procedure in fly casting.
Everyone accepts roll casting as a standard operating procedure of fly casting and technically it’s equally as hard or harder to execute as a good double haul.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
What complicates the DOUBLE haul is that the caster has to RETURN line into the cast so the next haul can be made.

When an intermediate caster performs a single haul on the delivery forward cast, no line return has to be done. I think that this single haul on the forward delivery stroke is how many casters first learn about hauling line. So the "down" motion becomes ingrained as a normal part of casting.

To then perform a double haul, the caster has to "unlearn" the single haul "down" line pull on the delivery and then learn the "down-up" motion of the double haul.

The second issue is that the "down-up" double haul motion is almost always taught coinciding with the beginning of the casting motion. So when the casting stroke begins, the simultaneous "down-up" is performed by the line hand. This is the easiest way to teach the DH BUT it is the WORST time to perform the DH for getting the most out of the double haul.

Here is the reason why - the DH adds distance by adding velocity to the cast which adds kinetic energy (KE=the energy of an object in motion). To to get the most KE effect out of a DH, it should be performed very late in the cast when the rod tip, and therefore, the fly line is traveling at the highest velocity. This is right before the rod stop.

Performing the DH early, therefore, is not the optimum time. It does serve to remove any slack from the line and therefore creates a tighter connection between the rod tip and the fly. Good casters already have this tight rod tip to fly connection and therefore the late DH adds more distance than the early haul.

The reason this is true is physics. The kinetic energy in a cast is (MVV)/2 where M is mass and V is velocity. Therefore energy is proportional to the SQUARE of fly line velocity. The added velocity of a haul added when the fly line is going faster adds more energy to the cast than that same velocity added earlier.

Last edited:

ghostrider408

Reaction score
To add to this excellent explanation by silvercreek, well timed hauls also put more bend/load on the rod, sort of winding it up, to then unleash the stored energy. One key is to not have any slack between your line hand and the first stripping guide. Keep the line tight as you are performing the hauls, this allows maximum load on the rod and line speed. As silver said, a later haul adds to the efficiency of the cast.

One of the best instructional videos out there for learning this cast is by Joan Wulff, where she explains learning it by inverting the rod in your rod hand, which ultimately takes the rod hand out of it at first, so that you can focus on hauling with your line hand. Search for Joan Wulff double haul and you will see the video I am talking about.

wcoady

Reaction score
When I first learned the double haul I did plenty of pantomiming. That way I could practice the movement wherever I was without the distraction of the rod and line. Mel Krieger had his students pantomime. Just make sure you’re casting stroke is sound before double hauling. Lefty Kreh said “Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further.” I don’t mean to say your stroke is off ( for all I know it could be awesome). I just mean the double haul won’t improve a cast that’s not already sound.

Northcountryman

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked out, very informative. I like the Triangle method and recommendation to pantomime the sequence of motions to incorporate into muscle memory .

cyclerdoug

Reaction score
Gentlemen - I'm a little late to this party but thank you for the video recommendations @ifitswims and @ghostrider408 - good stuff! @silver creek thanks also for the physics lesson. I have been working diligently on my double hauling and still SUCK... My biggest issue is feeling the correct time to haul, when I get it it's like hitting a baseball...it just "Works" and you can hardly feel the ball hitting the bat. Those times hauling are infrequent for me so far, but I'm working at it like a puppy climbing stairs. I take a lesson every other month or so for the past year and practice whenever I can. I like the pantomime tip also, I need to start working that into my daily routine for a few minutes. Solo bonefishing trip to Key West this August, first time ever doing any fishing at all, and I'm bound and determined to get the casting correct. I refuse to be "That guy" on the front of the skiff apologizing to the guide for the hole in his neck!

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A well seasoned guide will position you for a low traveling cast to defeat the wind and keep your back cast out of his neck.

you must be stoked, great trip to have on the books!

cyclerdoug

Reaction score
A well seasoned guide will position you for a low traveling cast to defeat the wind and keep your back cast out of his neck.

you must be stoked, great trip to have on the books!
Extremely stoked, and I won't consider it a wasted trip even if I come up empty every day! ;)

Northcountryman

Reaction score
I wanted to provide an update: Since starting this thread and receiving ALOT of helpful advice, my double haul has DEFINITELY improved to the point where I now feel like I'm doing it 100% (or damn close to it!) correct! what really helped me was the suggestion to watch the Mel Krieger vid on pantomiming the motions involved- trust me, it REALLY helps!!

Northcountryman

Reaction score
Okay- I’ll rewatch that Mel video again (and pay more attention!) Part of me was like, eh, I’ve seen this before about mimicking. But yeah muscle memory....
😀
Yup, practice it pantomiming a bunch of times first, then when you break out the rod and try it, its already ingrained in your muscle memory to return the hauled line back up- steps 2 and 4 really in the entire double-haul motion- that ( I think) most guys have trouble with .