The Final 15ft (Demystifying the saltwater leader)

pnc

Reaction score
Wow never heard of 3' leaders. Guessing that direct to fly ? No tipped ? Fish were mudding, how deep was the water, and how stired up ?
I can see the reasoning behind it. If it works for the guide. Keeping customers happy.
Have a few times gone to longer leaders. Never thought of going short.
But then never been a fan of straight mono leaders.
Especially for tarpon. Seems it would remove the sense of accomplishment. Maybe my personal problem. You could never say to yourself, wow caught that on 16 lb tippet.

trev

Reaction score
Wow never heard of 3' leaders
I know very little about salt/flats fishing, care less, but 3' of leader can be plenty for trout or bass. A leader should change length with conditions, I've used hand built 18' tapered leaders and I've used 3' level leaders.
The tippet is always the part the hook is attached to so in the case of a level leader, it is both all butt and all tippet.

I had already found that short heavy leaders worked for bass when, in the trout park and going back 20-25 years, I watched an older guy many days one summer take trout after trout with from 30" to 40" of level 4# mono loop connected to his fly line, he told me that when using an indicator and nymphs that only what was below the indicator was actually leader and what was between the "bobber" and the line was there just to make it hard to cast. He said his loop connection at the line was all the indicator needed, hundreds of trout agreed with him.
I've never learned the indy fishing, but I have caught trout on some short leaders as experiments. 2-3 miles of spring run in the trout park has been a nice laboratory over the years,

pnc

Reaction score
Was looking back trough thread. Saw mention of a guide in Tampa. And no fond memories.
Thought this might help. If anyone i looking forva guide in the area. Try contacting the Sun Coast Fly Fishers. They meet in St Pete. Several members are guides. And the club probably could supply a list in the bay area.

yellowdog

Reaction score
I came across an interesting youtube of Flip Pallot discussing his current 2021 leader set up. In it he not only recommends cutting off the loop and tying directly but also advocates using a 15' leader. In some ways both the direct line to leader connection and the 15' leader make good sense to me. The only issue I see is that this method makes a particular fly line a one species only line without cutting off and retying the tippet to change # test if needed. Not a big deal I suppose unless changing often throughout the day.

Last edited: