The Heisenberg

flytie09

Reaction score
The Heisenberg

A cool Steelhead fly from California guide, Jim Zech. I noted it over at Aqua Flies as part of their Traditional Summer Steelhead Flies series.

A very interesting choice for the name of a fly for sure.

From wiki:

Werner Karl Heisenberg (1901 – 1976) was a German theoretical physicist and one of the key pioneers of quantum mechanics. He published his work in 1925 in a breakthrough paper. In the subsequent series of papers with Max Born and Pascual Jordan, during the same year, this matrix formulation of quantum mechanics was substantially elaborated. He is known for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which he published in 1927. Heisenberg was awarded the 1932 Nobel Prize in Physics "for the creation of quantum mechanics".

The German nuclear weapons program, known as Uranverein, was formed on 1 September 1939, the day World War II began. Werner would later be put in charge of the project.

On 4 June 1942, Heisenberg was summoned to report to Albert Speer, Germany's Minister of Armaments, on the prospects for converting the Uranverein's research toward developing nuclear weapons. During the meeting, Heisenberg told Speer that a bomb could not be built before 1945, because it would require significant monetary resources and number of personnel.

After the Uranverein project was placed under the leadership of the Reichs Research Council, it focused on nuclear power production and thus maintained its kriegswichtig (importance for the war) status; funding therefore continued from the military.

There is much controversy as to the personal motivation and political leanings of Werner during the war. Did he purposefully fail as a result of the internal conflict of weaponizing his life work.....or did he simply miscalculate the undertaking of such a project all together. We may never know.

For those not aware.....there is a play by Michael Frayn based on a mysterious meeting of Werner with his long time friend and fellow physicist, Neils Bohr, in Copenhagen in 1941. During this meeting the two men took a private moment outside. According to Heisenberg, he began to address nuclear energy, morality and the war, to which Bohr seems to have reacted by terminating the conversation abruptly while not giving Heisenberg hints about his own opinions.

Bohr would later flee Denmark to England and eventually join the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, NM with his son, Aage.

niels-bohr-widef.jpg
Werner and Bohr meet in Copenhagen in 1934

Kind of puts a new light on the importance of fly fishing in the grand scheme of things, huh?

Oh well.....back to the fly.

heisenberg.jpg

Hook - Size 1 Mustad SL73
Tag - Large silver flat tinsel
Tail - GP tippet
Body - Kingfisher Blue angora dub
Rib - Medium silver oval tinsel
Hackle - Fiery Brown Schlappen
Throat - Kingfisher blue guinea
Wing - Bronze mallard
Head - Black thread and Loon UV cure

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
That’s right. I didn’t grasp Quantum Physics in school too well. Perhaps it was too much mind altering herbal supplements.

I don’t know where I am half the time now. I now know why.

Perfect fly for those particles lost in space.

duker

Reaction score
Beautiful fly as usual Mike. Like you, quantum physics was just not my thing (in university I was a social sciences major with a minor in mind altering herbal supplements), but I understand enough about laminar flow (c.f. the rollable smokables) that I know that fly will swim.

Scott

MCHammer

Reaction score
Very nice fly! I may have to add this to my tying list.

If anyone is interested, there is a great story in which Heisenberg and Bohr appear, titled "The Winter Fortress: the Epic Mission to Sabotage Hitler's Atomic Bomb," by Neal Bascomb. I learned about the book from a fellow Spey caster, a doctor from Norway, when we met camping on the Hoh one March. There is some background about the competition among Hitler's generals over how much money to allocate to their nuclear effort.