The Mighty Green River

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
In 2015 I met a guide on my first trip to the Green and he has since turned into a treasured friend. We have spent 5 of the last 7 years fishing on New Years day, 3 in Utah and 2 in Argentina. This year we stayed local and fished the 3 sections of the Green throwing streamers. The weather was awesome for January in Utah with temps at 18,29,33 and 36 degrees with abundant sunshine. I was able to fish after lunch without gloves, which sure improved the casting and stripping, while in the morning my Kast Steelhead gloves saved the day. We always enjoy the solitude of winter fishing and on the previous Green trips we never saw another boat or person. This year though the river was "crowded", we saw 3 other boats and 3 wade fisherman over the 4 days 😉 The boats were local guides on their day off and we were able to launch first and stay ahead and fish undisturbed water which is important on the lower section. Fishing was good with plenty of happy, healthy fish and I topped out at 22". No rainbows, they are getting harder and harder to find here, and the browns were in their beautiful fall colors with dark brown bodies and red spots. A couple of pics below show the awesome river in its winter glory and we were visited by a herd of wild horses toward the end of the day. As usual the long days in the boat were spent making fun of my casting and that led to warm nights by the fire drinking wine, a perfect 4 days.

Happy New Year, Kev

Gn7Fdi7cRmWy60n6NcbVIA_thumb_f0e.jpgIMG_2873.jpgIMG_2893.jpgIMG_0655.jpgIMG_2887.jpg

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Yeah man, love the Green. My annual trip is end of Feb. Sadly, the friend I always do this with for the last 30 years recently passed.
I'm still going. I have a mission per his request. We were best friends for 50 years.
Really cool you saw the horses kev and great photos.

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Yeah man, love the Green. My annual trip is end of Feb. Sadly, the friend I always do this with for the last 30 years recently passed.
I'm still going. I have a mission per his request. We were best friends for 50 years.
Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure it will be a bittersweet trip your first time alone, I wish you all the best

fatbillybob

Reaction score
I have never fished it in winter. Fantastic place.