The New Fly Tying Tips Thread;

dennyk

Reaction score
Just to add another use for empty prescription containers Norm mentioned above is to use them as wire dispensers. No more unraveling wire. Just remember to let it naturally straighten out when pulled out of the container to prevent twisting.

A great substitute for wire is .005 sewing machine transparent nylon. It comes in 100 yard spools. I especially like to use it over dry fly dubbed bodies, it's strong and you won't notice it's there. It adds some protection to your dubbed flies.

Denny

philly

Reaction score
[QUOTE
A great substitute for wire is .005 sewing machine transparent nylon. It comes in 100 yard spools. I especially like to use it over dry fly dubbed bodies, it's strong and you won't notice it's there. It adds some protection to your dubbed flies.

Denny[/QUOTE]
Just to add to your comment on transparent nylon, Denny. You can pick up 400 yard spools in the sewing section of craft stores for about the same price you would pay for the 100 yd spools. The spools I have are marked "clear polyester". Seems to be a bit stronger than the nylon. I've been able to fit them on my bobbins, so there's no need to transfer it to a smaller spool. I've also found metallic threads, silver, gold, pearl and copper on similar sized spools.
I haven't tried it for dubbed bodies, but I've used it instead of wire on some Zonkers I tied over the winter. I've also been using it instead of thread on my bait fish patterns and streamers.

duker

Reaction score
Love this thread. Here's a tip I just discovered:

If you're looking for a good SBS for the Teeny Nymph, don't just Google search "Teeny Nymph". You get an awful lot of hits that aren't, um, fly tying related, let's just say that.

You'd think I would have learned my lesson when the scissors on my Leatherman multitool broke and I had to find out how to send it in for a warranty repair. Don't ever search "leatherman" in Google.

Scott

bocianka1

Reaction score
Would a very fine film of Vaseline around the threads of my super glue bottle prevent it from eventually beimcoming stuck together too? Or is that a bad idea that will mess up my glue in the long run? Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk