The New Fly Tying Tips Thread;

mtboiler

Reaction score
Love this thread. Here's a tip I just discovered:

If you're looking for a good SBS for the Teeny Nymph, don't just Google search "Teeny Nymph". You get an awful lot of hits that aren't, um, fly tying related, let's just say that.

You'd think I would have learned my lesson when the scissors on my Leatherman multitool broke and I had to find out how to send it in for a warranty repair. Don't ever search "leatherman" in Google.

Scott
I just searched 'teeny nymph' and all I got was pictures of flies!!! Wondering what I am missing!!!:unsure:;)
Well I guess I will have to try leatherman...

flytire

Reaction score

LePetomane

Reaction score
When dubbing bodies, less is usually more. I have the tendency to over dub bodies. It is amazing how little one needs. And you can always add more.

For floatant, I soak the flies in Rain-X after tying and let them dry for 24 hours.

flytire

Reaction score
Last edited:

bocianka1

Reaction score
For my vise pedestal I installed a replacement drill chuck that can be hand tightened. Works well for my smaller height stem on a solid stone base.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bocianka1

Reaction score
I'm away from the house for a couple of days. Ill try and upload a photo later this week.

bocianka1

Reaction score
post a photo please
I wanted a stone base for my vise that was bigger and heavier than the standard wood base my vise came with.

After seeing the idea online, I decided to use a keyless drill chuck I got off amazon that has a straight post. I could've recycled a chuck for free from an old drill, but I really wanted the keyless hand tightened option so i bought one. I drilled a hole with a masonary bit into a free piece of stone (couldn't find any granite remnants at the time). Had to use a dremel tool to countersink the hole a bit to get it to sit as flush into the stone as possible. Used JB weld to epoxy it in. Put four stick on rubber feet on the bottom. This base is solid and doesn't tip over at all or slide. The twist-tight chuck is perfect for quick removal of my stem and vise and it hasn't slipped or lost grip on my stem in the least bit.

Here's a link to the chuck i ordered. I think it was $15 when I ordered it, now its gone up a bit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F3C7V8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UB9bFbZSXJRMF

I opted for the heavy duty chuck thinking I wanted a more substantial looking base. If I were to do it again, I'd order a standard chuck, the heavy duty is a bit too hefty looking.