The New Fly Tying Tips Thread;

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Love the ceiling fan and marabou comment, Norm. I've done it many times.

Thanks,
steve
Congratulations on hitting post #100 Steve :)

I was just scrolling pages on this thread and the amount of slick tips and information is already far past any expectations I had when the thread started.

101 posts now with Norm's latest addition (not counting this post by me) and this thread is just great!

spm

Reaction score
Congratulations on hitting post #100 Steve :)

I was just scrolling pages on this thread and the amount of slick tips and information is already far past any expectations I had when the thread started.

101 posts now with Norm's latest addition (not counting this post by me) and this thread is just great!
I agree, Ard; lots of good stuff on here!

Thanks,
steve

Reactions: Ard

flytire

Reaction score
i only have a few more to post so i'm hoping the rest of the board members can post up some of their tying tips and tricks

if anybody wants a pdf copy of all of the tips i provided here, please send me your email address to [email protected] and ill send one out to you

Last edited:

LePetomane

Reaction score
Tips for tying Elk Hair Caddis.

1. Use floss instead of thread.
2. Be sure to start the wing a good distance from the hook eye. Otherwise you will crowd it.
3. Use more elk hair than you think you need. In this case, more is more. I use a .357 magnum casing as a stacker. This holds the right amount of elk hair.
4. Be sure to remove the underfur of the elk hair. Failure to do this will cause it to roll around the hook when wrapping.
5. Hold and pinch the elk hair above the hook shank while wrapping.

LandoLando

Reaction score
Hanging file folders in a file cabinet are a great way to store and organize your tying materials. Pretty much everything but my hooks, beads, and spools are in the hanging file folders. Most tying materials stay in their original packages and are sorted with similar materials in their own file.