The Price Is Right

yikes

Reaction score
UPDATE: Winner announced, with catalog images, in post 13!

In absence of a formal February monthly competition:
The image below is taken from the Sears 1938-1939 general catalog. I've blanked out the price of the bamboo fly rod.
Guess the price - - closest answer wins. Feel free to share any clues as to how arrived at a number.
Sears 3.JPG

(The prize: the admiration of your peers.) I'll post the answer with an image of the catalog page in about a week.

Catalog cover, just for kicks:
View attachment Sears Cover 1938-39.JPG

Last edited:

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I'll play....I'm going to guess $1.49.....guessing about the same price as an entry level guitar is the reasoning.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I actually had a Mohawk 9 foot 2 tip rod in the early 1980's. You name it I had it. Weird to think that it was only 40 years old at the time, now I own a graphite that I got 42 years ago....... The rod was a bit heavy but cast well. There were many makers answering the call for blue collar fly rods back then but I'm not willing to go as low as cooutlaw and will bump to around $5 but no higher than $10. If you force me to chose between the 2 amounts I'll go to the lower number, 5.

I can only remember the prices of things beginning in 1959 when I was 5 years old. That's when I made my first purchase using a nickel earned working in our orchard. Back then you could do pretty well at Mahaffy's Corner Store, candy enough you needed a little paper bag. That was 59 and years forward so I'd imagine that in the 1939 era 5 bucks was a lot of money.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Ard is likely closer than my guess....and I suspect his $5 is really close.....probably like $4.85 or something similar.....it's a unique item to ponder....I still have a Shirley Temple doll that belonged to my mother as a girl in the box from around 1936 and it was $1.19 which my grandmother worked overtime to buy her for her birthday at the time.....I don't know the real quality of "Mohawk" rods and although I garner the H. I. maker part....was this a budget version from Sears or higher end of the day....a guitar at Sears around 1940 was from $1.49- $2.59....was a guitar similar in cost to a bamboo fly rod? I dunno.....I cheap sided the guess and I'm thinking I'm probably a little light. It is amazing what things cost in the 1930's and 1940's compared to today (not calculated to todays dollar - just the raw amount)...minimum wage in 1939 was $0.30 an hour and a loaf of bread was 8 cents and milk was 12 cents a quart......and Sirloin steak was 33 cents a pound.......and as for fish...how about a 16 ounce can of salmon for 14 cents? Average earnings for all occupations combined was about $125 week.....which seems high but that's including CEO's and Movie Stars .....average annual income in 1940 was $1,368.00...($114 a month).....with an over 18% unemployment rate.....Dust Bowl times. I also found the below from earlier in the 1930's....some prices went up, some went down by 1940...ironically wages stayed the same.

Last edited: