The rude Alaskans

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I will share a proper Alaskan trip thread soon after I get home if not later tonight. It was certainly a challenging trip that had some highlights. It also had some low lights and the story that follows is one of the those. I wanted to share a story that will someday be humorous and perhaps it is already. Not at all my intent to incite a rage thread. The offenders were indeed VERY rude, but it was so outrageous that I am certain more a case of being naive to the rules of fishing etiquette than anything. It will be a long post so here goes.

Last day of fishing and we arrived at the boat launch. It was our second launch actually. My daughter got pukin sick and we had to back track through some treacherous water to return her to the dock. Ard's wife Nancy took good care of her so we could fish.

We notice a boat launching. A man and two women. The ladies are wearing sneakers and that is clearly not a good idea given low water conditions. Fast forward an hour and I am fishing a run. The river is perhaps 80ft wide at best. They arrive on the other bank and stick their boat in a gravel bar. The women have no interest in getting out and making this easy. He can't budge the boat. Ard tells them he will wade across before he gets a hernia. The ladies tell us he just had a hernia surgery 3 weeks ago so Ard heads across and extracts them.

I am supposedly King Salmon fishing but the only thing going on is small rainbows jumping and occasionally nipping my AK Assassin I am swinging. Boat unstuck they light up the motor and immediately begin trolling back and forth in front of Ard's boat. Seriously? Where I come from it is rude to bounce spinners off the hull of another man's boat after they save your bacon. :) They are smiling and being very friendly as they completely invade my water. We try to ignore them, and it only gets worse. Ard is doing the guide thing and located a few Kings for me to cast to. They intercept the signals and race me to cast to the fish. Really? Ard's getting ticked by now. I commented they obviously don't realize a fly fisherman needs some space to swing streamers. Let's eat lunch and move. He cooks some river chow. The minute I get out of the water to eat this guy throws on waders AND A FLY ROD. He takes my spot and starts throwing to the little trout that are hopping. They are now standing on our bank and have surrounded us. :)

Then it gets worse. The ladies are on our the bank too and I hear them squealing. One of them has a fish on and it ain't no baby rainbow. I look up in time to see a huge King jump 3+ft out of the water. Easily a 20# fish and I suspect a 25#. I immediately have evil thoughts. "I hope he busts your snoopy pole in half!". King does yet another magazine cover jump and she still has him hooked. More ill will wishes from me. A moment later he busted her off. There is a God! We thought it a good time to leave. Sure they would have deserved it if we lit them up but it was the end of a tiring trip. The hole was shot and easier to just let it go at this point. They had no idea they ran us off and they waved to us later like we were all good fishing buds. :)

itchmesir

Reaction score
Hope you gave them the ol one finger howdy do as they waved. Next time play the game "how close can I get this fly next to your head without actually hitting you" it'll make people leave quick. Especially if it's a 4/0 hook

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Don't you know anything about public waters? If you don't push back it's not combat fishing. You need more arm flailing and cursing. Also drink bottled beer so you have empties to heave.

Hope that helps!

B.E.F.

craigthor

Reaction score
Damn, haven't seen that kind of ettiquite recently though right now I'm too busy working my tail off to even take a day off.

Hope the rest of the trip made this bump tolerable at least.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Only had this happen to me once. Clients were actually very nice people, the Guide was a total axxhole. Walked up and read him the 'riot act.' Point was he had 10 miles of river to fish, I had (few exceptions) 'here.' One Guide I actually 'loved' and had great respect: Rich Henry. (A Kalamath Indian for what it's worth.)

Chetco river and he's doing a float with clients. "RICH! RICH! Bank your boat! The fish are right there!" The two made casts and instant hook up's, running down the beach screaming. Both lost their fish and came back 'pouting.'

Rich: 'Go cast again.' Both another hook up.

Just one of those days.

fae

wolfglen

Reaction score
I will share a proper Alaskan trip thread soon after I get home if not later tonight. It was certainly a challenging trip that had some highlights. It also had some low lights and the story that follows is one of the those. I wanted to share a story that will someday be humorous and perhaps it is already. Not at all my intent to incite a rage thread. The offenders were indeed VERY rude, but it was so outrageous that I am certain more a case of being naive to the rules of fishing etiquette than anything. It will be a long post so here goes.

Last day of fishing and we arrived at the boat launch. It was our second launch actually. My daughter got pukin sick and we had to back track through some treacherous water to return her to the dock. Ard's wife Nancy took good care of her so we could fish.

We notice a boat launching. A man and two women. The ladies are wearing sneakers and that is clearly not a good idea given low water conditions. Fast forward an hour and I am fishing a run. The river is perhaps 80ft wide at best. They arrive on the other bank and stick their boat in a gravel bar. The women have no interest in getting out and making this easy. He can't budge the boat. Ard tells them he will wade across before he gets a hernia. The ladies tell us he just had a hernia surgery 3 weeks ago so Ard heads across and extracts them.

I am supposedly King Salmon fishing but the only thing going on is small rainbows jumping and occasionally nipping my AK Assassin I am swinging. Boat unstuck they light up the motor and immediately begin trolling back and forth in front of Ard's boat. Seriously? Where I come from it is rude to bounce spinners off the hull of another man's boat after they save your bacon. :) They are smiling and being very friendly as they completely invade my water. We try to ignore them, and it only gets worse. Ard is doing the guide thing and located a few Kings for me to cast to. They intercept the signals and race me to cast to the fish. Really? Ard's getting ticked by now. I commented they obviously don't realize a fly fisherman needs some space to swing streamers. Let's eat lunch and move. He cooks some river chow. The minute I get out of the water to eat this guy throws on waders AND A FLY ROD. He takes my spot and starts throwing to the little trout that are hopping. They are now standing on our bank and have surrounded us. :)

Then it gets worse. The ladies are on our the bank too and I hear them squealing. One of them has a fish on and it ain't no baby rainbow. I look up in time to see a huge King jump 3+ft out of the water. Easily a 20# fish and I suspect a 25#. I immediately have evil thoughts. "I hope he busts your snoopy pole in half!". King does yet another magazine cover jump and she still has him hooked. More ill will wishes from me. A moment later he busted her off. There is a God! We thought it a good time to leave. Sure they would have deserved it if we lit them up but it was the end of a tiring trip. The hole was shot and easier to just let it go at this point. They had no idea they ran us off and they waved to us later like we were all good fishing buds. :)
THE'RE EVERYWHERE~ THE'RE EVERYWHERE!! Last week those people were here in Florida when I took Nikito fishing! One buzzed us wide open 30 feet away while we were fishing the mangrove shoreline. Others buzzed by when we were fishing the Peace River with boom boxes blazing. Now the Peace is designated as a wild and scenic river, yet there are no laws like they have for the Catskill Preserve about blaring music.

Nikito got an earful of my otherside when they did this.

I hope he comes back to fish again very soon.

Jack

Vulpes

Reaction score
Why am I not surprised by this post. They are everywhere! Hell, look at Jerry's posts about the ausable.

wjc

Reaction score
All fly fishermen should carry one stout spinning rod W/ super fast retrieve reel loaded with 120LB spectra tied to a 1 oz Kastmaster. You no doubt already have a sharp knife for quickly cutting off tangles. :D :D

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I am sure most of you guys have seen worse. I have not, and they were clearly naive by their friendly demeanor. I suspect they are used to a fishing derby pond atmosphere. I know these folks are going to find themselves in a throw down very soon if they don't change their ways in AK.

In any event it was just a last day attempt on different water. It was crowded with air boats, and V-8 powered machines. Just as Ard predicted. Salmon run numbers had been strong on this river but Ard knew it just wasn't worth risking much time there. We spent the first three days in relative seclusion on a smaller river. Extreme low water conditions on anything not glacier fed made everything real hard.

wolfglen

Reaction score
Googans. They are everywhere...even impostering as guides.
I assume that you've also seen these "tower boat guides" on their day off. Cruise over the flats to see what holes the fish are today, then just come back the next and fish. They even run over the holes while you're fishing them. They also cruise the edge of the mangroves land spook the fish out of them. I've had these C.S.ers actually run over my line or my anchor line!

They have this attitude that the fish belong to THEM for only THEIR clients to catch, so after they're done fishing,, they return to their home port and go out of their way to buzz other fishermen so that they won't catch any of THEIR fish.

Now you have to realize the background of SOME of guys were the former gill netters who felt that ALL of the fish belonged to THEM, so you can understand how they think.

I remember being threatened with being killed after testifying for the Marine Fisheries Commission in Charlotte County during the gill netting debates.
It came down to one of them buzzing me and having it stop only after my drawing a .12 ga. pump.

It's the same mentality as those who drive through someone other's neighborhood with blasting radios, who revv their unmuffled bikes at each intersection, park in handicapped spots, in front of fire hydrants, tailgate 20 feet off your bumper at 70 mph, etc.

It's called sociopathy: knowing that what they are doing is wrong and discourteous but feeling that THEY are justified for some wacky reason. This differs from a true psychopathy where the cretin doesn't even know that it's wrong.

The problem is that police and C.O.s are more interested in whether you are wearing your seat belt or have the numbers spaced correctly on your boat. Yes, I had a C.O. actually get out a tape measure and tell me that the numbers couldn't be closer that something like an inch and one of mine was 7/8 of an inch from the other It has to do with unable to verbally present a case in court so they so for cases where they have a machine: camera, radar gun, Breathalyzer, etc. to make the case for them.

Damn, where are the vigilantes when you need them?

Jack

J

james w 3 3

Why am I not surprised by this post. They are everywhere! Hell, look at Jerry's posts about the ausable.
Yes!! Last fall I had three (THREE!!) boats using "the guy in a float tube with a bent rod" as a fish finder . . . racing in at full throttle to try to beat out the other jamokes . . . much to my detriment.
The fools are everywhere . . . you can only take solace in knowing how messed up the rest of their lives must be.

(Oh yeah, you can also move into very shallow water on the other side of a obstruction, bury your hook in some weeds, and watch the ensuing show. But that might be "wrong". :rolleyes: )

jpgodf

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that there are way too many morons like that on the "road system" in Alaska. It wasn't always like that. The construction of the Trans Alaska Pipeline (1975-77) brought a huge number of 'boomers' that came to Alaska for incredibly high paying jobs. Very few were 'the best and brightest'. Most were 'the worst and dumbest'.

Unfortunately many of those cretins stayed and procreated. Alaska has never been the same since.

JP

ejsell

Reaction score
I don't mind sharing a hole with someone but that's ridiculous. I've only had a couple of bad experiences. One was in Michigan the first year I went steelheading. Last fall I was at the end of a very popular hole in Pennsylvania. It was loaded with steelhead and there were a lot of people on both sides of the river. Just about everyone was giving each other plenty of room and timing casts and drifts really well and then towards the end of the day an older teenager decided to saddle up right next to me. He was close enough that every time I cast he swatted at his ear thinking a bug was buzzing him. A day later in the same hole an older gentleman came down with a very large flat fish lure and in casting it across the river to where I was standing he wrapped it around the lower section of my rod just above the reel. After reviewing my life and untangling it I decided to find a quieter spot.

jaybo41

Reaction score
That's poor form to say the very least. People like that are everywhere. I really can't think of any word that fits these types of people better than clueless. There is a convention of clueless "anglers" that ascend on the Lake Erie tributaries every fall.

Looking forward to the real trip report.

mikel

Reaction score
Too bad you had to find these folks in AK. They are everywhere. Hope the rest of your trip was as good as you expected.

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
Dewayne, this sort of thing is everywhere. I had some chump try to low hole me this spring, I said no way I'm fishing here, so he walked right through the tail out.

I couldn't believe it, even his buddy was looking at me open mouthed. Then he turned around and started fishing the water he just walked through. Just another idiot that doesn't know anything.

I just left, but I did flash him the St. Paul hello and I could of stuck him with a 1/0 showgirl, he was within Spey range.

I've had boats anchor 10' feet away and despite my objections continue to fish right in front of me. Too many stories man.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Earlier this year I had a drunken tuber come through a hole I was working and actually knock off a fish I had on. Around here, drunks in tubes and loose dogs are the main problems. Only had one incident with another person that was actually fishing. Came trodding right through my run to fish a pocket that I was very obviously working my way towards. As others have said, its seems to be this self entitled attitude that others seems to have thats ruining everything when it comes to other fisherman. The one I ran into was obviously in the mindset of "I have to get those fish before he does". When he could have just given a handshake and simply asked "mind if we share the hole" and probably have made a new fishing buddy.
I remember once as a kid fishing with my dad on Berryessa. He had a friend with him, who was actually an ex Oakland Raider linemen. All of a sudden we had a small group of jetskiers buzzing us way too close, and words were exchanged by both parties. Two of the jetskiers pulled alongside the boat and said something like lets see you get out of the boat. Ex linebacker simply stood up and Ive never seen a pair of grown men scatter so quickly!
It does seem to be getting worse as time moves on. I remember the "good old days" when most were a lot more polite and respectful, and I'm only 32.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

plecain

Reaction score
Maybe I've been lucky. In 60+ years of fishing I've never had any experience even remotely like those in this thread.

Part of the reason I don't have troubles is that I go where other people aren't. Usually a single vehicle parked near where I'm headed is enough to send me somewhere else. I'm fortunate that I have lots of 'somewhere else' available.

Last edited:

myt1

Reaction score
Near the top of my bucket list is to fish secluded Alaskan streams and rivers, fighting grizzly bears, all the while landing one beautiful trout after another. Did I mention the seclusion?

Yet, all I read about, the story in this thread is no exception, is how crowded it is in Alaska.

Is it even possible to get away from people and have a wilderness experience, without spending an arm and a leg?

One guide book I read went so far as to say: don't knock fishing in Alaska, shoulder to shoulder with other fisherman, until you have tried it.

Is this really the way it is?

I'm not greedy. I'm more than willing to leave the salmon to other fisherman. I just want to experience the "last frontier" I was led to believe still existed.

Or, like Rick (Humphrey Bogart) in "Casablanca", have I been "miss-informed".