The Streamer Techniques Video;

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I never bothered to link this up on the forum so here we go.... This may be helpful for some I hope.

Coming in June of 2019 will be the Single hand rod version including the one hand Spey cast & overhead casts using the same leader system ;)

ejsell

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the single hand version. I use a 10 foot single hand rod and a few places I fish this cast would be beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

photoguy

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to make that Ard I only had time for a few minutes but bookmarked it to re-visit this evening....but like what I saw so far!

dennyk

Reaction score
Excellent Ard, that's the first real demonstration of using a two handed rod under fishing conditions. I'm looking forward to the single hand version as well!

Denny

jkim

Reaction score
Thanks Ard for this very informative video. I'll definitely use these tips when I fish Green River Wyoming this summer for big Browns and Rainbows.
Off topic but do you carry any firearm when you go fishing in Alaska?

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Only for camps in remote locations but if you get rolled up like a burrito in a tent at 3:30 AM I'm not so sure it would help. It makes others feel safe though.

Glad you liked the video, we are close to good conditions for making one for single hand casting and single hand spey with the same basic message.

Most important thing I can point to in streamer fishing is that early mend technique if you want to get the fly down. I watched a video of a guy fishing a river that is on my destination list for this year and something really struck me. The fellow was fishing a single hand rod for steelhead. He was working to put the fly all the way to the opposite side on each cast. About 2 or 3 seconds after each cast landed he did one of those exaggerated upstream arm sweep mends like I mimicked at one point in the video. The result was just as I described, the fly could be seen skating back to the surface and crossing toward him about ten feet. All good I guess if that's where you want to start the drift but doesn't make sense to me. The concept of stack mending the back side of the line belly is not new. I used that trick for both dry fly and nymph presentation in my past life for years. It is however especially valuable when trying to get streamer flies deep ;)