The Streamers Box 2019

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, Denny. Over the years since my cancer came calling, I'd had my fair share of "dry spells" during which I couldn't muster up the sheer will to push aside the nausea, equilibrium loss and a complete lack of energy. Still, when I had a "good day," the opportunity to be astream was mine for the taking, and I usually did, even if it meant paying for it the next day.

With the shattered left ankle/torn Achilles tendon and subsequent surgeries, however, even my best days found me side-lined for the 2018 trout season. I was relegated to "spectator" status rather than "participant," and that was a tough pill to swallow. Doc's marching orders were "watch, but don't even think about it!"

Now, I'm glad that I heeded his advice. The leg is coming around nicely, and though my first weeks on the river will be a series of short outings rather than all-day affairs, that's fine by me. At the very least, I'll be feel the push of the Au Sable's currents against my waders once again.

Thanks again for the positive thoughts on my coming season, Denny. Have a good one, my friend...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Jerry, that is awesome news, congrats on your progress!

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
Thanks for the kind words, Larry. It's been a long year spent dealing with the damage and subsequent repair to the left ankle and Achilles, especially those evenings on the porch next to the river and watching daughter Jesse, Doc and the "fishing cronies" work the currents. But, it seems the fact that I was patient and, as Doc put it, actually "listened for once in my damn life" is paying dividends, as the leg is beginning to feel strong enough for active "river" duty. We'll know soon enough.

Have a great weekend, Larry, and thanks again. As for me? It's back to the vise. I've got some tying to finish up, including some flies for CFR/PHW...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Wow, I just received a big box full of beautiful flies (my cats thought those mice were the real thing). Thanks Jerry, I look forward to using them tomorrow (or do I? I look at them and think they belong in a display case in my living room).

Flies.jpg

hairwing530

Reaction score
gp,

Not to worry if the local bass/pike populations tear them up a bit. I've always been of the opinion that the best looking flies in a storage cabinet are those with a little "wear" on them.

At any rate, wade safe, fish hard, and enjoy the flies. And, thanks again for thinking of "my kids" and me...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Egoudy

Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

I’m brand new to this place, but I stumbled across this thread and would love to purchase a box. They look incredible.

WVDrifter

Reaction score
I just received one of these boxes with a slight modification made at my my request. Let me tell anyone thinking about it that these are expertly tied and use first rate materials.

I did not even know Jerry's backstory and about his work with young cancer patients when I ordered. I was just skimming the board and a photo of a nice looking box. Even if it wasn't for a great cause this would be a great deal.

hairwing530

Reaction score
Hey cdnred,

Did I ever respond to your PM? I don't remember receiving one, but if I did, please forgive this post. It's been a trying few weeks...

If you're still in need of some info, etc, please drop me a note at the cabin at: [email protected]
and I'll get right back to you.

Have a good weekend, and take care...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

cdnred

Reaction score
Did I ever respond to your PM? I don't remember receiving one, but if I did, please forgive this post. It's been a trying few weeks...
Hey Jerry,

Funny I was just posting a reply to you on another thread "The Missing Hairwing530.." when I received your reply. So sorry to hear of your setback but glad to hear that you're back on the road to recovery. I only live a few hours away from you and once this COVID is settled down, I plan to be around to buy some of your flies..

Stay safe and healthy
Your new friend ;)
Helmuth