The Turle Knot

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Tradition in fly fishing is indeed important my friend and I enjoy and respect the classic ethos. I recall many years ago fishing in the mid Spey valley out of a charming little fishing hotel on the Avon and there was an elderly British couple there. They were fishing 16' Greenhearts with tape spliced ferrules assembled on a rack on their Jaguar. Those rod weighed in the pounds not ounces and I wondered how this somewhat frail old husband and wife could handler these things. The alternating of beats, the afternoon rest with local whisky (the Glenfarclas was right there and the Glenlivet was from an upper tributary to the Avon) and a meal, the Scottish foods and stories where just delightful and edifying.

But even then in the 1980's I was fishing graphite and a reel with a drag and modern fly line...and Orvis SuperStrong tippet not Maxima. While tradition is something I favor and practice, it is in the spirit of the pursuit not the preservation of old antiquated tackle. My methods and activity are perhaps old school but not my equipment or knots. RIO Salmon Nylon is far superior to Maxima and hairwings are more ethical than classic fully dressed feather wings and my knot is better than the Turle Bend. I'll have to show it to Gawesworth when next I see him.

coug

Reaction score
I have seen several different methods to tie what they call the turle knot. I learned from one of the old-timers on the Clearwater, and he taught me the same method as you can see in one of the Hazel's videos. It is very different than Simon's. I am sure there is one "correct" way, but correct or not, the way I was taught has the up-eyed steelhead flies swimming correctly and I have never had a knot failure, even when using 10lb maxima with B-runs. There may be tippets / knots / etc that test out better in the lab, but maxima tippet and our PNW version of the "turle knot" have been tested in the field for decades and are hard to beat in our local steelhead waters for getting a fly to swim properly on the swing and for catching / holding onto steelhead.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
What is relevant about the Turle is the direct, in line connection to the up-eye fly so it swims properly. So two to one, the west coast Maxima/Turle steelheaders win over the east coast modern mono/direct pull New Knot salmon angler.