The Unreasonable Virtue of Fly Fishing

jrp11948

Reaction score
Just finished this book by Mark Kurlansky. Wonderful history of rods, reels, flies and fly fishing in general. An easy read by a man who’s been all around the world with a fly rod! Fly fishing is much older than I realized.

desmobob

Reaction score
I thought his books Salt and Cod were excellent. I'll be picking up a copy of the fly fishing book. Thanks for the heads-up.

jrp11948

Reaction score
What a curious title for a book. Does the author ever define what "unreasonable virtue" is?
. It’s more a history of fly fishing, flies, rods and reels. He does go into women vs men fishers and the lip ripping argument. Why do we need to fish, it traumatizes the fish, etc. and of course the killing vs releasing of fish.
it’s got a bit of everything.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like the "unreasonable" part is that some fish die in the pursuit of the "virtuous" sport of fly fishing. Virtuous because we hold ourselves to the standard of fooling the fish with flies ties with fur and feathers.

LOC

Reaction score
Likewise. Those were great reads, and I'd never even realized this was out. Thanks for the tip.
I saw the authors name and it rang a bell. Yes, I read Salt and Cod myself a great book book I paid it forward at a gear swap.
Funny I have no idea who has it now but hopefully it's still out there getting read. Thanks for the heads up I will grab this as well.

jrp11948

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like the "unreasonable" part is that some fish die in the pursuit of the "virtuous" sport of fly fishing. Virtuous because we hold ourselves to the standard of fooling the fish with flies ties with fur and feathers.
Some of that, too. And fly fishing is superior to bait fishing because it’s harder to catch a fish on a fly. And because we release more fish.

duker

Reaction score
I found and read "Salt" when my wife and I were on holidays in the Turks and Caicos, which figures prominently in the history of the salt industry.

Just from the reviews I've read of the new book, it seems that the "unreasonable" virtue of fly fishing is that it is the most difficult of fishing, and therefore the most satisfying. Its virtue is not because of--or in spite of--the fact you catch the most fish, or in the easiest way.

I'm trying to remember my first year philosophy class and Aristotle's definition of virtue as falling between two defects, so that courage is beyond cowardice yet short of recklessness.

hatidua

Reaction score
Some of that, too. And fly fishing is superior to bait fishing because it’s harder to catch a fish on a fly. And because we release more fish.
I'm wondering if it might not be possible to substitute the word "different" for 'superior', -my tweed jacket is at the cleaners and my Bentley is still in the shop.