Thinking of a Fish Finder

desmobob

Reaction score
I have a Garmin Striker Plus 5 that I really like. It's inexpensive and doesn't have built-in maps but it can create and record accurate 1-foot depth contour maps while you're using it. This is handy for small lakes and ponds that aren't on other map chips. I believe it has enough memory for something like six million acres of recorded maps. Having GPS is great for marking and getting back to hot spots.

I also use it for ice fishing and on my float tubes. I find it invaluable and wouldn't be without it. I have found and caught good fish in areas I would not have expected them to be; fish I wouldn't have been casting for without the sonar.

When you're fly fishing, everything sticking up on the boat gets in the way, but I don't find the sonar to be troublesome or limiting.

guido

Reaction score
I have found that a low mount on the line hand side of the tube keeps things out of the way pretty well...

I like my Garmin Striker CV 5 too...

bluewater

Reaction score
I use them but I don't find them fabulous for fly fishing because all you're seeing is a small section of the bottom directly beneath you (or beneath and slightly out to the sides). Check the charts for the diameter of the sonar cone at different depths and for most practical depths on the fly, it's surprisingly small.

I don't drop marker buoys these days, although I once did that when the only finders were flashers. That would make fish-finders more useful for me now.