This may be a long shot - anyone have any experience with Maine Fly Company rods?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
As someone who has been looking to upgrade his 5 WT I've been doing serious research. I've found Maine Fly Company who is a local fly rod maker. He's provided great customer service so far with answering any questions I have had. He obviously doesn't have the warranty that many bigger brands have but he said he always tries his best to accommodate his customers.

Anyways, anyone use any their rods and have any opinions? I've seen some reviews on their website and everyone seems to love them but figured more info can't hurt!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the custom rod maker in Main but I suppose it depends upon the blanks he builds on as to comparing his work with your old WT. However, assuming your #5 WT is an 8 1/2' model like mine, I do have a recommendation. While my Sage Trout LL is an 8 1/2'/#4 and I have yet to cast the same length in 5-weight, I hear it is terrific. It is lighter in weight with superior recovery to old Winston's but has a related tempo and application. Go give it a cast.

trev

Reaction score
doesn't have the warranty that many bigger brands
does he include the cost of a new rod in the purchase price like the warranty companies do? Ask what blanks he uses and seek reviews of them, his work won't do a great deal to change the inherent qualities of the blank.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
does he include the cost of a new rod in the purchase price like the warranty companies do? Ask what blanks he uses and seek reviews of them, his work won't do a great deal to change the inherent qualities of the blank.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. The rod cost $300 and the warranty is below. It seems like it's pretty similar to what many other companies offer in terms of "warranty provides free repair/replacement" for a fee but probably just less time that is applies too? Good thinking on asking about the blank - didn't think of that. This is what he gave me for an answer " 40t carbon fiber blanks. (Graphite) "

"Maine Fly Company Rods come with a 5 year limited manufacturing warranty. The limited warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship within 5 years from the date of purchase. The limited warranty does not cover damage not caused by material or workmanship defects. Any misuse, abuse, modification, alteration, intentional damage or overuse of a classified weight voids our warranty.

The warranty provides free repair or replacement of your Maine Fly Company Rod - just submit a claim at the email below and send us the entire rod. Please note that because our rods are made in small batches, we will rarely be able to replace your rod with the same batch item that you ordered. In the event we are sold out of your batch and it cannot be repaired, we will offer an existing in stock batch similar to yours.

In the event of a damaged rod not covered under warranty, we offer discounted repair or replacement for a fee of $69 + shipping/handling. We will either repair or offer you an alternative /comparable in stock rod to get you back on the water."

Last edited:

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the custom rod maker in Main but I suppose it depends upon the blanks he builds on as to comparing his work with your old WT. However, assuming your #5 WT is an 8 1/2' model like mine, I do have a recommendation. While my Sage Trout LL is an 8 1/2'/#4 and I have yet to cast the same length in 5-weight, I hear it is terrific. It is lighter in weight with superior recovery to old Winston's but has a related tempo and application. Go give it a cast.
I asked about the blanks and he replied with "40t carbon fiber blanks. (Graphite)" at that point am I just googling that to try and find info on it?

Windwarrior

Reaction score
You're the first of two posts I've come across regarding this company. The other guy just posted today.

I'm always curious.🤔

trev

Reaction score
He did not say "I roll my own blanks" and the 40T is just a modulus description for IM12. He also didn't say I get my blanks from (insert name of reputable manufacturer); so the obvious conclusion is Asian made blanks because that "40T carbon fiber" is bandied around a lot by those makers.
That I never heard of him doesn't mean much, I'm mostly ignorant of regional rod builders, that no one else on this forum seems to have heard of him is significant, personally I'd be leery, unless several forum members come out saying "oh yeah I've got one and it is the bee's knees"

Other query also indicates an unknown huckster; https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/small-batch-maine-fly-co.903343/
The coincidence of two queries in a few days seems like he just started a massive ad campaign?

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I am the other individual that inquired about the same company. I assure you that this is not part of any campaign. I am just a normal guy looking for a nice rod without paying big bucks.

trev

Reaction score
You are all capable of making your own decisions, please report back with pictures of fish caught on these rods and factual reviews, so that the next time it comes up it won't be an unknown.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I am the other individual that inquired about the same company. I assure you that this is not part of any campaign. I am just a normal guy looking for a nice rod without paying big bucks.
I am not familiar with this company but if you are looking for a nice American rod look at Mystic as well. I have a couple and am happy with both. Affordable, solid warranty and response.
Their Reaper X series is a great medium fast rod for +- 300 bucks.

Last edited:

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
You are all capable of making your own decisions, please report back with pictures of fish caught on these rods and factual reviews, so that the next time it comes up it won't be an unknown.
👎 Posting to a thread asking for opinions with something so obvious is pointless. No opinion, no post.

Windwarrior

Reaction score
👎 Posting to a thread asking for opinions with something so obvious is pointless. No opinion, no post.
I'm still kinda baffled from the response. 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

I know people have off days. I know I do but damn. The whole point to the OP was information gathering regarding a new or old company he hasn't heard of.

Part or most of the purpose of forums is exactly THAT. Isn't it?

I appreciate your response as I wasn't sure what to say. Hence my previous response.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I was hoping to get information about this company and its products to determine wether or not I should bother even giving them a chance. A recent Bamboo Rod purchase, didn't work out so well for me. Had I done proper research before hand ,I may have avoided this. I have learned from that mistake. I could very easily go with a big name rod company, but I am trying to think outside the box. Sorry to the OP, if I am hijacking your thread with my own response.

trev

Reaction score
My opinion is that if you asked the guy what blank he uses and he is not forthcoming with that information or gives you a non answer, then I personally would not deal with him.
That opinion got responses that did not make sense to me so I withdrew but then ... maybe I didn't make myself clear, but I wasn't trying to trigger anyone.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
My opinion is that if you asked the guy what blank he uses and he is not forthcoming with that information or gives you a non answer, then I personally would not deal with him.
That opinion got responses that did not make sense to me so I withdrew but then ... maybe I didn't make myself clear, but I wasn't trying to trigger anyone.
I respect your reply and it makes sense.

Windwarrior

Reaction score
👏👏👏👏👏
Much better and understood 👌.

Thanks for clarification