Thoughts on Future AK Trip

joe_strummer

Reaction score
Keep in mind that there might be some covid restrictions in Nome and the surrounding villages. At least that's the case around Bethel. Other than that the dry fly fishing is amazing on that gravel "road" on the way out of town.
I saw some pics of some nice pike and sheefish from the Bethel area of the Kuskowim, last summer. Got a relative who's through the area on work, heard a bit about it. That's something I really want to fish someday.

edit: actually those fish were from the Holitna, above Sleetmute. they'd run up there from bethel.

Last edited:

joe_strummer

Reaction score
No, only sheep. No goats in the Brooks to my knowledge or at least that I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by goats i meant sheep. i was using the term euphemistically. as we down here sometimes call pronghorn "goats".

hence preemptive clarification: "(that is, dall sheep.)"

ytsheephnter

Reaction score
Understand, thanks for the clarification and yes I have hunted Dall Sheep in the Brooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bushak

Reaction score
I saw some pics of some nice pike and sheefish from the Bethel area of the Kuskowim, last summer. Got a relative who's through the area on work, heard a bit about it. That's something I really want to fish someday.

edit: actually those fish were from the Holitna, above Sleetmute. they'd run up there from bethel.
The problem with Bethel is that it's several hours from good fishing. We can net all the salmon you want but if you want a fish on the fly rod you'll need to go up one of the tributaries for several hours in a jet boat. I've caught some pike on mouse patterns on some of the sloughs but they are usually between 20-30 inches. Now, if you go up to the Yukon the pike get up to 50+ inches. I've heard of some people fly fishing for sheefish on the Noatak River up by Kotzebue.

Gundriver64

Reaction score
Morning Guys,

Still day-dreaming and mentally planning for the AK trip next summer. I've contemplated driving up through Canada to south-central Alaska, but looking at the current laws surrounding the china virus that looks like a no-go.

~Congrats Canada, you've turned your country into North Korea~

Anyways, looks like it's going to be airlining in then renting a 4WD vehicle. Or even buying a used vehicle and selling it on consignment on my way out. Speaking of which: what is the used truck market like? Is it nuts like it is in the lower 48?

On the rental side of things: can anybody recommend a place to rent 4WD trucks from (other than the big name vendors).

Cheers All!
G

duker

Reaction score
~Congrats Canada, you've turned your country into North Korea~
No, we haven't. I understand your desire to get to Alaska to fish, but let's not resort to that. I've been travelling to SE Alaska every fall for over twenty years to fish for coho, and have just resolved that I'm going to have to wait for a while yet before I get back. But I will get back.

If you are determined to take your own vehicle to Alaska you can drive to Bellingham, WA, then take the Alaska ferry to pretty much wherever you want to go and drive from there.