Thoughts on overlining a longer euro nymphing rod

Lamarsh

Reaction score
I got my sage 3wt esn in 2012. I broke out of the rut with a WF 4wt line for a dry fly. I never looked back. A decade of fishing a dry on that stick has been the best move of my career.
It has shocked me how few people know how versatile these rods can be.

Just carry an extra spool and swap out the sucky euro line, for a floater.
That would be ideal, just need to find a new reel that pairs nicely with my 11' 3wt euro rod. Right now I have a Hatch Finatic 4 plus on it, and it is balanced perfectly.... and, unfortunately extra spools for it are hard to find, and a fortune. I might just find another reel that pairs ok with it, and carry the extra reel with WF floating line.

Right now, I keep my WF floating line on my Hatch reel, and euro nymph with the Rio shorty 20' euro line. I'd like to have one separate spool though with a WF floating line, and another spool with something like OPST Lazar line or some thin running line, and use that for euro nymping AND the ability to attach something like a 150-175 grain micro skagit head like the small OPST commandos, for the option of spey casting. I have heard our ESN rods can chuck these small skagit heads and send smaller streamers flying very far. Never tried it though, but if it works, it sort of brings what you and I are talking about to another level!

Bigfly

Reaction score
Tried the streamer thing with the light stick, a 3wt isn't appropriate for casting streamers here.
I fish the right tool for the job. I carry a switch for streamers.....and fish over 20".
I have enough time on the water not to use a light rod for big fish.
But for me, next level was dry fly with spey casts....feels natural on a longer stick.
For those who yammer about losing accuracy with a longer stick, I think they don't practice enough..ha.

Jim

Last edited:

ddb

Reaction score
I have the same ECHO Shadow X 3wt EN rod and frankly the tip section is so delicate that over-lining it is the last thing I'd try. It is meant for short, wrist- snap casts with just a mono leader outside the tip-- not overhead or even roll cast work with full rod compression and abrupt stops using heavy lines.

I compromise in the other direction to get a combo EN/dry fly capable rod. I have a custom 11' 4wt rod with a short butt section that I use with an EN leader system connected to a WF line for Euro nymphing and switch to a tapered leader when the risers are on the feed.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I didnt read through all these reply's but using my 10' 2wt ENR with a mono rig made with Troutbitten com recipe I have no problem laying a hopper down at 30 ft with the Maxima . I know thats not a long cast but it is a realistic one especially when needed EN ing.

Last edited:

Lamarsh

Reaction score
frankly the tip section is so delicate that over-lining it is the last thing I'd try
mono rig made with Troutbitten com recipe I have no problem laying a hopper down at 30 ft
These are the biggest reasons against even bothering with a WF floating line on this type of rod, let alone a super light skagit. I had read something about a guy using a super light skagit head on an ESN rod with good results, but it doesn't necessarily mean he isn't running the risk of screwing up the rod tip. Haven't tried the skagit thing yet, I don't have a light enough head for this rod, but the WF floating lines in 3 and 4 cast well.

finny khan

Reaction score
i would load my reel with the appropriate weight DT line, then your euro shorty, and leader with sighter. If you wish to fish dries pull of the shorty.