Tibor

hatidua

Reaction score
Neat stuff. I don't own any Tibor (or Pate) reels anymore but dozens have passed through my ownership in the past and countless fish have been caught on them all over the world. It's a really good product that has stood the test of time.

driftless22

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this....certainly an interesting man, and a good example of why we have been successful as a nation. We fish out of Chokoloskee, and I've seen him there a few times.

LePetomane

Reaction score
A very interesting story that hits close to home.

Regarding the reels, my late father had a line, “One doesn’t need a Rolls Royce to deliver pizza.” Where this applies to the reel is that they are way overbuilt. I’m not saying that in a negative sense, but I don’t think there is a reel on the market that is built as solid as my Tiber Everglades that I use for pike.

silver creek

Reaction score
Actually the man that changed saltwater fly fishing goes back further to Capt. Bob McChristian who invented the Seamaster reel. At one time Seamaster reels were responsible for 90% of Salt Water fly fishing records and a Seamaster fly reel was just about impossible to get.

I heard of Seamaster in an article over 40 years ago that stated that the two most prized fly reels were the Bogdan and the Seamaster.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 3.00.56 PM.png

Here is an article about Seamaster from the Miami Herald in 1982. They are no longer made. I had to personally meet with Bob McChristian when I was in Miami for a medical conference to get him to sell me reels. I was into collecting reels and I wanted a Seamaster.

So I went to the address on the Sunday that I flew in. The address was was in an industrial park and led to what looked like a garage with a mailbox. I looked in the mailbox and there was a letter from the President of CBS. I was at the right place. There as no name or any other indication that the world's best saltwater reel was made in this place with every part made by one man.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 2.36.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 2.38.15 PM.png

Check out the prices for a Seamaster back in 1993.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 2.42.28 PM.png