Time for Boo # 2

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
About a month ago I knocked a guide out for under the wraps on my Bamboo rod. My hand slipped as I was pulling the rod apart. I had alot going on and I only recently sent the rod back to get fixed. I arrived a couple to the maker a couple days ago. I asked him if he has a 5 wt boo for sale and he said he would have to check and see what he had left in stock. He got back with me today and said that yes he does and I am waiting for pics and info about this rod. All I know now is that it is a 7'6" 5 wt. I am getting excited as I really like my 7' 4wt. I was looking at getting an older classic rod but nothing caught my eye. I may go that route sometime in the future. For now I will be happy to get another new rod at a great price. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. After this purchase I plan on being done, buying gear for awhile. Though I will need a reel................. ;) I will update when I get the pics and specs.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
You were warned in your first boo thread. One leads to two, two leads to...
I'm having a 806 built by Paul Dufour. It'll be a few months though. He is slammed with orders. Good problem to have. This will be my third rod with him. That will put me at 4 I own. One I gifted to a young man I was mentoring. He loves it, a 805 from Paul.

Last edited:

rob bishline

Reaction score
I think you’re gonna like that 5wt. !

Years ago I found an Orvis far and fine 7.5’ 5wt second hand bamboo in like new condition and even though I own many newer, fantastic carbon rods , the fishing has always been the most memorable when I fish the “boo”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I got home after work to find a nice surprise. The 7'6" 5wt. Bamboo from Dave Cottengim finally arrived! This model is called the Premier. It has a AAA Fenwick cork handle, downloading reelseat, and an agate stripping guide. It has a Freestone taper with mid-flex medium action. I can't wait to test it out on the trout streams as soon as levels get down some. We have been getting hit hard with rain over the past couple weeks, and especially hard this past Saturday. I suppose I could try it out on some panfish, but i am getting bored with that. Up till now all of my rods have had unlocking reelseats, so having a downloading one is new for me. Have to see how I like it.20210719_154949.jpg20210719_154937.jpg20210719_154554.jpg

Last edited:

LePetomane

Reaction score
Davitticus Maximus, very nice. The Fenwick style grip is very comfortable. 7'6" is a nice comfortable length for the Catskill waters you fish. Enjoy.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
The Fenwick style grip is very comfortable.
^^^^^^^^+1
Not sure how much you care about rod-reel balance, but I think you'll be surprised at the difference between a downlocking and uplocking seat in terms of balance. You can use a much lighter reel with a DL. One thing you do need to be careful about is setting the rod down; with a DL seat the reel is more prone to scratching from protruding beyond the butt cap.

Enjoy your new rod!

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Davitticus Maximus, very nice. The Fenwick style grip is very comfortable. 7'6" is a nice comfortable length for the Catskill waters you fish. Enjoy.
I think that this will be perfect for my local streams as well. The 7' 4wt is also nice for my locals, but a bit light for some of the bigger fish that sometimes latch on. Especially in stronger currents. I am very excited to try it out!

thomasw

Reaction score
Beautiful. Enjoy! I do own one payne model 97 7' 4wt bamboo which is a still a sweet rod with a 406 line -- and it's value to me comes from having been in my family quite beside the market value. I view bamboo as being both a tool and a thing of beauty; it is an example of art which removes our modern false dichotomy of form and function -- for it is functional and made to be used but also made to behold and appreciated.

To the old school manly man, this is the way and ideal to create anything -- for the old school creator, the question is this: why make something that is only functional or only pretty? The former lacks form and latter lacks depth -- such poverty to divorce the two logically and then in reality.

Anyway enough of the ramblings; that is a thing of beauty and I wish you great joy when using it!

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^+1
Not sure how much you care about rod-reel balance, but I think you'll be surprised at the difference between a downlocking and uplocking seat in terms of balance. You can use a much lighter reel with a DL. One thing you do need to be careful about is setting the rod down; with a DL seat the reel is more prone to scratching from protruding beyond the butt cap.

Enjoy your new rod!
I was just reading about the differences between unlocking and downlocking last night. It mentioned the same things you did. I am pretty careful about setting any of my rods down anyways. I try my best to only set it down in grass/ vegetation if possible.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Beautiful. Enjoy! I do own one payne model 97 7' 4wt bamboo which is a still a sweet rod with a 406 line -- and it's value to me comes from having been in my family quite beside the market value. I view bamboo as being both a tool and a thing of beauty; it is an example of art which removes our modern false dichotomy of form and function -- for it is functional and made to be used but also made to behold and appreciated.

To the old school manly man, this is the way and ideal to create anything -- for the old school creator, the question is this: why make something that is only functional or only pretty? The former lacks form and latter lacks depth -- such poverty to divorce the two logically and then in reality.

Anyway enough of the ramblings; that is a thing of beauty and I wish you great joy when using it!
I like your train of thought! (y)

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
@thomasw I agree with what you said about Bamboo being both functional and a thing of beauty. Which is why I find myself being drawn to it. Before I ever bought my own I admired Bamboo rods when I would see one. But most of what I saw where old beat up ones at the flea market. Then I saw some at the fly fishing museum in Roscoe N.Y. there was something about them. Also classic reels, and wicker creels. I have been eyeballing classic reels for both of my boo rods. I have seen a few that I like but am still waiting for the right one.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Very nice Dave, I hope it brings you many enjoyable years.

If that is a aluminum reel seat, don't over tighten it. Snug is good enough. Don't ask me how I know.

Denny
Thanks Denny, I appreciate that tidbit of information, because I tend to over tighten everything. I definitely would of learned the hard way!

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I finally got out to cast the new boo. Friday I was itchingto try it out, but had not decided about a reel for it nor had time to pick up line. So I decided to try out the Cortland 444 Peach DT that I was using on my 4wt. Even though it was a line wt small It casted well considering the light to moderate wind. I like to take new rods to a little pond located near me. There are no trees or bushes surrounding it, so is perfect for practicing casting except there is always a breeze. Occasionally one catches a fish, which is also a plus. There was no catching that night. Yesterday I decided that I would try out a Cortland Turbine reel that I picked up last winter and had my local fly shop fill it with the Cortland 444 Peach 5wt WT line as they were out of the DT. My wife and I went to the Erie Canal today to try out the new line. I bought her a Fenwick Eagle 6'6" spinning rod to use for fishing as she is struggling learning how to cast a fly rod properly. I will try to teach her again, but taking a break for now. Anyways I enjoyed casting this rod. It has a nice moderate action. It is a huge change from casting my Sonic, which I have been fishing alot since a bought it. I really have to slow down. There were alot of bluegills and even some perch chasing my flies. I had a couple hookups but lost them. So unfortunately no catches today either. We left because my wife had some papers to finish for online classes but I wanted to fish more. I dropped her off and headed to a nearby lake. I had a couple panfish chasing flies but no commitments. I went to change flies and they were not in my vest. I then realizes that I left to boxes of flies and my nippers back at the Erie Canal. So I drove back cursing as I was sure that they would be gone. Low and behold when I got there, everything was were I left it! Thank goodness! I am hoping to hit up a trout stream in the next couple days and see how that goes. I think that I may start saving up for boo #3 soon............ 😊

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And now a word from the far north ................ Although I seldom take cane rods fishing here Dave I can tell you that I think this is a beautiful fly rod and wish you many a happy day with it. My own small stream bamboo rods rewarded me with some of the most memorable days of my life so I'm pretty sure what lies in store for you.