Time for Boo # 2

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
And now a word from the far north ................ Although I seldom take cane rods fishing here Dave I can tell you that I think this is a beautiful fly rod and wish you many a happy day with it. My own small stream bamboo rods rewarded me with some of the most memorable days of my life so I'm pretty sure what lies in store for you.
Thanks for the nice comment Ard, here is a pic of the rod with the Cortland reel on it. The owner of the fly shop miscalculated the amount of backing to fill it but I told him that was OK because the type of fish I am expecting to catch probably won't take into the backing. But I may have to go back and get it filled because my OCD is kicking in.:LOL: I should add that the handle type is new to me but I find it very comfortable.20210726_154133.jpg

Reactions: Ard

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
The owner of the fly shop miscalculated the amount of backing to fill it but I told him that was OK because the type of fish I am expecting to catch probably won't take into the backing. But I may have to go back and get it filled because my OCD is kicking in.:LOL:
I would add a fair amount of backing just to avoid the line coiling. Kind of surprising that someone who presumably loads a lot of reels would be so far off, but easily fixable.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I would add a fair amount of backing just to avoid the line coiling. Kind of surprising that someone who presumably loads a lot of reels would be so far off, but easily fixable.
I think he was having an off day. He has loaded many reels for me in the past with no problems. Also he was going to redo it right then and there but I was in a hurry and told him not to worry about it, and he asked if I was sure and if I changed my mind to bring it back. So kinda on me at that point.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I finally able to get out on my trout stream today. Water was flowing good but a bit murky due the all the rain we have had. I really was hoping for dryfly conditions to test out the rod for what I intended it for, but maybe next time. I settled for a black wooly bugger which usually produces strikes in these conditions. I wasn't disappointed. While I only brought 3 fish to the net, there were many grabs that I missed. The first 2 were small fish, but were fiesty. The third was maybe 12 inches but felt like a beast on the boo. What a complete blast! I wish I would have gotten a Bamboo rod much sooner in life, but better late then never.20210728_182822.jpg20210728_190152.jpg20210728_195126.jpg

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comment Ard, here is a pic of the rod with the Cortland reel on it. The owner of the fly shop miscalculated the amount of backing to fill it but I told him that was OK because the type of fish I am expecting to catch probably won't take into the backing. But I may have to go back and get it filled because my OCD is kicking in.:LOL: I should add that the handle type is new to me but I find it very comfortable.View attachment 38591
You could just do what I do if I underload. Remove the fly line - blood knot same color backing in place and fill until you are covering that first row of perforations. That would drive me to drink and of course even though it may be a short trip there's no sense in doing it to forget about my reel and the spool not looking right :)

And don't sweat the blood knot Dave, I have reels I use for king salmon with 2 or 3 blood knots in the back line because I was not familiar with the reels thus under filled several times. I test the knot and trust them if ever they were in play.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Nothing feels like boo. Gotta slow your roll? When you have a fish on. Oh man, very few experiences are better.
And sweeeet setup you have going.
I wish that I would have tried bamboo sooner. I haven't decided which rod I like better the 4wt or 5wt. But I definitely enjoy fishing with either one over my graphite rods. I am eyeballing a 6/7 wt now. ?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I got the issue with the backing rectified, View attachment 39294this past weekend.
Looks like you could have went a little further with it but it's good enough to provide a pretty full spool. Any of the old trout reels like your Cortland, any CFO or vintage Battenkill and or the Hardy Lightweight series / Marquis, they all are about the same when loading them up. Cover the first (and sometimes the second) row of perforations and it seems to work out right.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I got the issue with the backing rectified, View attachment 39294this past weekend.
Looks like you could have went a little further with it but it's good enough to provide a pretty full spool. Any of the old trout reels like your Cortland, any CFO or vintage Battenkill and or the Hardy Lightweight series / Marquis, they all are about the same when loading them up. Cover the first (and sometimes the second) row of perforations and it seems to work out right.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Beautiful rod there, In Bamboo I love a 7'6" 5wt such a versatile size. I noticed your rod maker did a very nice job on the windings and even marked the tips so you can tell them apart which is a nice touch. For those not familiar with bamboo, the windings by the tip top are wrapped slightly different. One a little shorter than the other or with a couple of wraps done in a contrasting color so you can tell them apart. This is done because if fishing on successive days you can use a different tip each day usually the marked tip on odd days and the unmarked tip on even days. This avoids the rod tip getting a set from successive days of fishing the same tip. Very handy for the rod maker to make that distinction for you. Hope you have many days of successful fishing with that rod.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Beautiful rod there, In Bamboo I love a 7'6" 5wt such a versatile size. I noticed your rod maker did a very nice job on the windings and even marked the tips so you can tell them apart which is a nice touch. For those not familiar with bamboo, the windings by the tip top are wrapped slightly different. One a little shorter than the other or with a couple of wraps done in a contrasting color so you can tell them apart. This is done because if fishing on successive days you can use a different tip each day usually the marked tip on odd days and the unmarked tip on even days. This avoids the rod tip getting a set from successive days of fishing the same tip. Very handy for the rod maker to make that distinction for you. Hope you have many days of successful fishing with that rod.
Thank-you, both of my rods from Dave have marked tips, which I do find very useful. I go one step further, by putting them away in the same sock pocket everytime. Later this afternoon I plan on fishing my 4wt on a small tributary that feeds one of the Fingerlakes here in New York. Now that I have both a 4wt and a 5wt I find it hard to choose which one to use. I love them both.But the particular stream I plan to fish today is very small with lots of veggies.